Pre-Game Talk: THE STANLEY CUP FINAL | Penguins vs. Predators | Game 1 Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Bonino points out that the Pens had more offensive zone time than the Preds did but simply did not shoot the puck passing up open shots for the pretty pass, something that was noticeable. And that while the Pens did not get many shots they did not give up many either.

Rust, Wilson, all of them were emphasizing shooting more and getting some garbage goals, being guilty of passing too much.

Obviously Sully was all over them for that.

It does not explain away two periods without a shot, and 12 shots overall, but it is something.

Last edited:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Bonino points out that the Pens had more offensive zone time than the Preds did but simply did not shoot the puck passing up open shots for the pretty pass, something that was noticeable. And that while the Pens did not get many shots they did not give up many either.

Rust, Wilson, all of them were emphasizing shooting more and getting some garbage goals, being guilty of passing too much.

Obviously Sully was all over them for that.

It does not explain away two periods without a shot, and 12 shots overall, but it is something.

Interesting, my view of the game and the play was the exact same as Bonino's.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Interesting, my view of the game and the play was the exact same as Bonino's.

Everyone one of the interviews made the point that they passed up shots and could not do that in game two.

Sully likely broke a stick over someone's head to emphasize the point.

I would expect the shot totals in game two to be north of 30.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Where is the game 2 thread? Or series thread?

This is the series thread.

Everyone one of the interviews made the point that they passed up shots and could not do that in game two.

Last game was annoying, anytime Pens had the puck on the stick it somehow jumped away from the stick? and it wasn't due to the Preds using their sticks, the puck always seemed to get off their blades.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016

Maybe that's why Hags is out.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
This is the series thread.

Last game was annoying, anytime Pens had the puck on the stick it somehow jumped away from the stick? and it wasn't due to the Preds using their sticks, the puck always seemed to get off their blades.

It was more than that. They kept looking for an open net tip in like the second goal. I am sure that Sully pointed out the third goal, while not as pretty, counted the same.

The Pens get too enamored with being the Harlem Globetrotters for their own good at times. Expect them to shoot early and often this game, any open shot taken.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Hopefully he ripped into the dmen about passing up shots on net for dumps down low when there is no support. That drives me crazy.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Laviollette used to have this thing where if his team was playing a goaltender who was good at moving the puck his guys would replace dump-ins with slapshots on net from just outside the line. The forecheckers' jobs were to either chase down the rebound or try to close in fast enough that the goalie would freeze it for the whistle.

Pens should maybe look into that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad