TV: The Sopranos Discussion Thread

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
I know it was supposed to be a grounded type show but... Man did Anyone else just want to see everyone get whats coming to them in the end?

I like the characters and all but man just one day have Tony bully the wrong guy and have him go insane and try and take out Meadow or AJ or something.

Would work well with the whole trying to redeem yourself last season theme

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I know it was supposed to be a grounded type show but... Man did Anyone else just want to see everyone get whats coming to them in the end?

I like the characters and all but man just one day have Tony bully the wrong guy and have him go insane and try and take out Meadow or AJ or something.

Nah man

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia

That's one of the things that made the Sopranos go ground breaking. It was so real that no everyone got the comeuppance that so many wanted.

The Professional

Sens Army Special Operations Command
Dec 4, 2005
Aylmer, Québec
Paulie always had this strange stuff he would get fascinated with. I took it as nothing more than that. He seems to be in a state where he is questioning a higher power, ect. Tony thinks he's nuts

But the cat was put there digitally in Paulie's last scene, so David Chase wanted to make a point of having the cat come in and sit next to Paulie. It wasn't coincidence. I think it might have something to do with the cat symbolizing death. The cat stares and follows Chrissy (''Look at him staring at that dead kid''), and Paulie the always superstitious, hates the cat because to him they are ''snakes with fur''. I believe in ancient Egypt, cats were believed to be the guardians of the afterlife or something like that?

Obviously Paulie has a bad feeling about the cat, and then in the last scene, still the superstitious one, he doesn't want to take over the Cifaretto crew because he thinks it will mean his premature demise like Richie, Ralphie, Gigi and Vito before him. Tony uses jealousy to get Paulie to accept, but as T leaves him, Paulie is very concerned. I think the cat sitting next to him is kind of a closure of some sorts for Paulie's character, which would make sense given that it's his last scene in the series; foreshadowing his fate: that he will most likely die. Much like the cat was staring at ''that dead kid'' (Chrissy), it's now staring at the next dead guy: Paulie.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Jesus Rossi

melfi's "no" when she was seriously considering telling tony about the rape was one of the most powerful parts of the entire series in my opinion

i remember hoping that she would tell him so badly but in the end it makes perfect sense why she didn't. by not telling tony it means she virtually had complete control over rossi's life. "i supposed i'll let him live." her way of revenge

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
melfi's "no" when she was seriously considering telling tony about the rape was one of the most powerful parts of the entire series in my opinion

i remember hoping that she would tell him so badly but in the end it makes perfect sense why she didn't. by not telling tony it means she virtually had complete control over rossi's life. "i supposed i'll let him live." her way of revenge

But he never knew that right? And what if he goes on to hurt more people which he most likely would...hmm

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
But he never knew that right? And what if he goes on to hurt more people which he most likely would...hmm

true, but that's clearly just melfi being selfish. she should have told tony for that very reason

i would have loved to see tony get a hold of rossi

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
We never got closure with the Russian.

What annoyed me is they intentionally left mixed signals, which I suppose was the idea - have the audience feel the same uncertainty the main characters presumably do. By all rights you'd figure he would have died in the woods from his gunshot wound/exposure since he never showed up again but Chris and Paulie's car got stolen leaving enough doubt to drive everyone crazy. But if he took the car then you'd figure he would have resurfaced in some way or other.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
here's something that's always bugged me

vito is seen at the gay bar by sal iacuzzo. when chris brings up sal, carlo refers to him as "a friend of ours" which means he's a made man

but here's my problem. why is a made guy going around picking up collections at a nightclub? that's a job you see from an associate or some other lower rank person, not a made guy. the reason why it bugs me is that vito could have easily wacked sal and the other guy and we wouldn't have had to put up with the useless "vito is gay" side-story. assuming of course that finn never spilled the beans about vito and the security guard (which happened before he was caught at the club)

Reactions: Voight

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
true, but that's clearly just melfi being selfish. she should have told tony for that very reason

i would have loved to see tony get a hold of rossi

I don't consider that her being selfish. #1 Tony is her client and she is not in the criminal underworld seeking vigilante justice. She utilized the proper channels like most people would in that case. Asking Tony or even giving him enough info to do something about it crosses that line. So he ends up dead or nearly dead, that's on her too. She did consider it though.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009

vito is seen at the gay bar by sal iacuzzo. when chris brings up sal, carlo refers to him as "a friend of ours" which means he's a made man

but here's my problem. why is a made guy going around picking up collections at a nightclub? that's a job you see from an associate or some other lower rank person, not a made guy. the reason why it bugs me is that vito could have easily wacked sal and the other guy and we wouldn't have had to put up with the useless "vito is gay" side-story. assuming of course that finn never spilled the beans about vito and the security guard (which happened before he was caught at the club)

We see Paulie and Ralph make collections

Reactions: GarbageGoal

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

But then we wouldn't have that great scene where Vito is out in the sticks actually (for once) working in construction and completely hating it. The voiceover with the " f*** me! " when he realizes it's way earlier in the day that he thought gets me every time.

Reactions: Make

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
But then we wouldn't have that great scene where Vito is out in the sticks actually (for once) working in construction and completely hating it. The voiceover with the " **** me! " when he realizes it's way earlier in the day that he thought gets me every time.

The scene was both funny, unique (thinking voice over on the Sopranos!?), and very revealing.

It really showed just how flawed and degenerative these "big shot" mobsters were. The fact that they weren't even capable of handling a basic 9-5 job, something even some of the most simplest people out there can do. It really revealed how they were, in fact, not fit for normal society.

Reactions: Make

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Read an article today that says the prequel movie is focusing on a younger Tony over a number of years.

Really think they should just do this as a 1 season tv show.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
HBO2 has been showing various series as marathons over last few weeks and Soprano's has been on this week and god did I forget how much I hated how they handled AJ character making him more and more pathetic and a joke

I actually thought the moment he got with girl and her kid was going to be a series change for him but they managed to make him even more pathetic

Also forgot how awful the Tony in coma aspect of series was

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad