TV: The Sopranos Discussion Thread

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
It's one of the few episodes I can remember (maybe the Kevin Finnerty dream one?) that has no B plot and doesn't drive the main plot along at all. It's like those "Monster of the Week" X-Files episodes that were one offs, they usually ended up being the best episodes. Of course anything with Paulie and Christopher was always gold, them eating ketchup packets in the car is up there with Chris's intervention as some of the funniest **** in the series.

Pine Barrens is the best episode. What else happens? Tony launders money/does business with Russians, carms father gets glaucoma and Tonys breaks up with his gumar which leads to her suicide. None of those things have any bearing past the next episode

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I know I asked hanzal this when I first watched this but when Junior shoots Tony, why does no-one in or out of the family notice that Junior is completely gone with Alzheimer's?

fcpremix88

Mar 9, 2007
Tampa
I think “College” is a 10/10 episode. It perfectly captures what this show is about, pushed the boundaries of television by showing the protagonist literally murder someone on screen for a selfish cause, and opened the door to a golden age of television featuring ambiguity and anti-heroes.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I know I asked hanzal this when I first watched this but when Junior shoots Tony, why does no-one in or out of the family notice that Junior is completely gone with Alzheimer's?

I agree. The idea that Tony never realizes Junior is gone is odd. I mean there's a hint of it in the flawless " Don't you love me? " scene but the sentiment seems dropped later on.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

They may notice it but don't want to say anything. It could come off as disrespectful and they want to give the benefit of the doubt to a long time member of La Cosa Nostra.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010

How did it go unnoticed? The reason Tony was over there in the first place was because he knew someone had to be babysitting him.

They might have made the mistake of not taking it more seriously, but they were well aware that Junior was losing his marbles.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
How did it go unnoticed? The reason Tony was over there in the first place was because he knew someone had to be babysitting him.

They might have made the mistake of not taking it more seriously, but they were well aware that Junior was losing his marbles.

They do, but they also always hold him responsible for actions that are out of character.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Did they know how far gone he was? Been a few years since my last rewatch so I cant recall exactly. Doesnt Tony not realize how far along he was until Pat Blundetto finally gets Tony to visit him at the home?

I really like this scene too, Paulie ends up the only one left at the end of the series (not that im complaining I'd have been so upset if he died, he is the best :laugh:)

Last edited:

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Best show of all time IMO. Always had a special connection to it being raised in Bergen and Essex county. One of my friends lived a block over from Tony's house in North Caldwell.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Did they know how far gone he was? Been a few years since my last rewatch so I cant recall exactly. Doesnt Tony not realize how far along he was until Pat Blundetto finally gets Tony to visit him at the home?
They still had a doctor tell them he was going to get worse when he went out of the house in his slippers and dressing gown and walked halfway across the town to go to a church where his brother had been decades previously. That was at the start of S5.

Even then, a few episodes into S6 after he's shot Tony he's being evaluated by court-appointed psychiatrists and they seem to show less willingness to understand him than his family. I just don't get it. It's the same with the post above about that dinner where Junior keeps going on about Tony not being an athlete. They know that's a symptom, but Tony just goes into a rage instead.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
I think thats the point, like the Vito thing they just cant accept it

That old guy in Italy who was aimlessly saying English words in his wheelchair was just like Junior while the woman was like Tony

The Professional

Sens Army Special Operations Command
Dec 4, 2005
Aylmer, Québec
Does anyone have any theories about the signification of the cat in the final episode? Paulie, who is very superstitious, hates the cat and the cat keeps coming back and stares at Chrissy's picture. In Paulie's last scene, when he reluctantly accepts to take over the Aprile/Cifaretto crew, at the end of the scene when Tony leaves, Paulie is alone in front of Satriale's and we see the cat come in and sit near him. This is not a coincidence because if you look carefully, the cat appears to be cgi/ digitally edited in there, similar to how Nancy Marchand's face was edited in for that one scene in season 3. So obviously, Chase specifically wanted the cat to be there and sit next to Paulie in his last scene. Very strange. Thoughts?

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Does anyone have any theories about the signification of the cat in the final episode? Paulie, who is very superstitious, hates the cat and the cat keeps coming back and stares at Chrissy's picture. In Paulie's last scene, when he reluctantly accepts to take over the Aprile/Cifaretto crew, at the end of the scene when Tony leaves, Paulie is alone in front of Satriale's and we see the cat come in and sit near him. This is not a coincidence because if you look carefully, the cat appears to be cgi/ digitally edited in there, similar to how Nancy Marchand's face was edited in for that one scene in season 3. So obviously, Chase specifically wanted the cat to be there and sit next to Paulie in his last scene. Very strange. Thoughts?

Paulie always had this strange stuff he would get fascinated with. I took it as nothing more than that. He seems to be in a state where he is questioning a higher power, ect. Tony thinks he's nuts

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
It's one of the few episodes I can remember (maybe the Kevin Finnerty dream one?) that has no B plot and doesn't drive the main plot along at all. It's like those "Monster of the Week" X-Files episodes that were one offs, they usually ended up being the best episodes. Of course anything with Paulie and Christopher was always gold, them eating ketchup packets in the car is up there with Chris's intervention as some of the funniest **** in the series.

The episode did serve a purpose. It's the 1st time we see Tony not trust or believe Paulie and it leads to the episode in Florida where he considers getting rid of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->