TV: The Sopranos Discussion Thread

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
HBO2 has been showing various series as marathons over last few weeks and Soprano's has been on this week and god did I forget how much I hated how they handled AJ character making him more and more pathetic and a joke

I actually thought the moment he got with girl and her kid was going to be a series change for him but they managed to make him even more pathetic

Also forgot how awful the Tony in coma aspect of series was

AJ made for some good laughs, that's about it

and i agree about the episodes where tony's in a coma after uncle june shoots him

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
I've always thoughr never came out and died. Everything else after that was dealing with his lifes journey and the finale was his version of heaven

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I saw an interview Steve Schripa did on Joe Rogan's podcast from 2o16. He told the story of how from the 2nd season to the end of the 3rd season Chase had him wear a fat suit. I always thought he lost all that weight.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Tony Sirico is fairly old and has lived a hard life (he was actually in the mob). But he forgot Dominic Chianese's in show name, definitely seemed a bit out of it.

I actually didn't mean his looks. He seems to be losing his faculties. Dominic Chianese, on the other hand, seems pretty sharp.

Dominic was really sharp, and he's going to be 88 in a month. Also Hesh didn't speak much but he seemed sharp too, and he's going to be 90! in 2 weeks.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I often wonder how the reception of this show would be if it came out today. Obviously it wouldn't be deemed groundbreaking, but would it still acclaimed? Or just another evil protagonist show?
To flip the question...Would there be this many protagonist shows if it weren't for the Sopranos?

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
For Hughs birthday, Tony gives him a shotgun. Hugh's friend says that Beretta doesn't export their best guns. Do you think he was implying that the gun wasn't that good or that it was illegally obtained

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
For Hughs birthday, Tony gives him a shotgun. Hugh's friend says that Beretta doesn't export their best guns. Do you think he was implying that the gun wasn't that good or that it was illegally obtained

From what I understood, he was putting his nose up at Tony Soprano, so more likely the former. The (falsely) cultured couple saw Soprano as a philistine with money.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
The local morning radio people I listen to were talking about it since it is on again and they were poo-pooing the psychiatrist scenes, aren't they pretty essential part of establishing Tony's character and rolls into the mob storyline in season 1-2? And in the Me-too/"toxic masculinity" era we live in, haven't they aged even better?

Maybe the second time they are a little redundant since you already know Tony is awful, but I couldn't have disagreed more with the take.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad