OT: The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
Emulation can be better than the real console in many ways (and worse in others). For example the original Wii console max resolution was 480p, where as emulation with Dolphin you can bump it up to 1080 and other neat things. Downside is you generally need a better PC than the average person has, you might also lose some of the retro feel with the clearer graphics or shaders.
Agreed. I built a raspberry pi joystick and my boy loves watching me play a homebrew nes game "lawn mower"

My mom's dad was an IBM lifer and "pulling some strings" she bought me some "top secret" vr goggles that honestly just look like everyday safety glasses. I put 'em on and started playing the same game. Every blade of grass, every bird in the sky, the smell of the gas, and (after putting in her coordinates) her home yard were exactly true to life. The game was beyond boring and the first level took an hour. 1 star.

Reactions: Kyndig

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Gotta love youth hockey politics.

My son's head coach from this year was mad that he didn't get picked to be the head coach next year so he took the bulk of my son's teammates from this year and took them to a different association.

Apparently he didn't want my son on his team.

I'm not torn up by this change of events. But, I am worried that my son's best friend on the team left.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I have a to-do list as long as my arm and here I am looking at this place again. :biglaugh:

This is my first morning without my Tuesday/Thursday morning lecture that I enjoyed so much. Now rather than just wile away the morning, I did get in a workout, a nice breakfast, a shower and shave. I'm enjoying an amazing cup of coffee. And yet... I still have a crap-ton to do and this isn't getting any closer to completing it. Bleh.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

My son's head coach from this year was mad that he didn't get picked to be the head coach next year so he took the bulk of my son's teammates from this year and took them to a different association.

I'm not torn up by this change of events. But, I am worried that my son's best friend on the team left.
Honesty question for self-reflection.
Did the coach not want your son on his team, or is it possible he didn't want you "along for the ride"?
Or maybe something else?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Honesty question for self-reflection.
Did the coach not want your son on his team, or is it possible he didn't want you "along for the ride"?
Or maybe something else?

I've coached many years with the guy and we play on the same beer league team. I would be surprised if it was that he didn't want me around.

So, it's either that he's bitter that me and another assistant from this year put in for head coach next year (the other guy didn't move either...) or it's that my son was the slowest kid on the team and he wants to win a lot.

I'm happy with how things played out as my son will have head coaches that I really respect and a lot of the knucklehead kids from this year's team are leaving with the head coach.

I just feel bad for my son that he and his buddy will be split up again. This happened two years ago when his friend played for the same coach on a Pee Wee Mixed Travel team and that team's season was a mess because they weren't travel quality and they lost most of their games and the coaches made the kids miserable.

UPDATE: The only families that didn't get a call were us and the other coach that was an assistant this year and applied to be a head coach next year. So....

Last edited:
Reactions: brian_griffin

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
When I saw the title I thought this thread was about John Rigas. A couple years ago he was released early from prison because he had less than 6 months to live? He's still living and the Sabres are still in last place. Coincidence?

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
When I saw the title I thought this thread was about John Rigas. A couple years ago he was released early from prison because he had less than 6 months to live? He's still living and the Sabres are still in last place. Coincidence?
Unfortunately he's never going to die because hell is going to refuse to take him. I mean even Satan has standards you know.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
anyone in a non-sunny climate deficient in vitamin-d after this ridiculous winter?

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
I've coached many years with the guy and we play on the same beer league team. I would be surprised if it was that he didn't want me around.

So, it's either that he's bitter that me and another assistant from this year put in for head coach next year (the other guy didn't move either...) or it's that my son was the slowest kid on the team and he wants to win a lot.

I'm happy with how things played out as my son will have head coaches that I really respect and a lot of the knucklehead kids from this year's team are leaving with the head coach.

I just feel bad for my son that he and his buddy will be split up again. This happened two years ago when his friend played for the same coach on a Pee Wee Mixed Travel team and that team's season was a mess because they weren't travel quality and they lost most of their games and the coaches made the kids miserable.

UPDATE: The only families that didn't get a call were us and the other coach that was an assistant this year and applied to be a head coach next year. So....

Sour grapes. My dad got heckled a lot in his one year as a coach, which to be blunt he was a terrible coach but nobody else was willing to do the job. There's a lot of pressure from parents to play their kid more or a certain position and to win. One day he just yelled at the crowd "If you think you can do a better job I'd like to see you come down here and try!"

I used to play football for the Boston Patriots as a kid (parents couldn't afford hockey). I was awful my first year and I wasn't fast either as I was about 2-3 years younger than everyone but the coach still played me in every game. Every year following that the coach always said I would be the winner of an MVP award if he was allowed to pick someone. Even one year can make a huge difference for a kid..so I wouldn't be entirely surprised if your kid was much faster next season depending on how the age brackets work. Maybe you could build him an outdoor rink too, to help with his skating. I've probably logged a few thousand hours of skating on my backyard rink and it's helped me immensely.

As for his friend will he be in the same league still and get to play against him at least? It never really bothered me as a kid that my best friend played for a different team, in fact I loved hammering him! :laugh:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Sour grapes. My dad got heckled a lot in his one year as a coach, which to be blunt he was a terrible coach but nobody else was willing to do the job. There's a lot of pressure from parents to play their kid more or a certain position and to win. One day he just yelled at the crowd "If you think you can do a better job I'd like to see you come down here and try!"

I used to play football for the Boston Patriots as a kid (parents couldn't afford hockey). I was awful my first year and I wasn't fast either as I was about 2-3 years younger than everyone but the coach still played me in every game. Every year following that the coach always said I would be the winner of an MVP award if he was allowed to pick someone. Even one year can make a huge difference for a kid..so I wouldn't be entirely surprised if your kid was much faster next season depending on how the age brackets work. Maybe you could build him an outdoor rink too, to help with his skating. I've probably logged a few thousand hours of skating on my backyard rink and it's helped me immensely.

As for his friend will he be in the same league still and get to play against him at least? It never really bothered me as a kid that my best friend played for a different team, in fact I loved hammering him! :laugh:

They will be in the same league.

Those games will be fun next year.

A backyard rink isn't an option. I am more focused on dryland work. But honestly, all my kids are naturally slow. So, while things can get a little better, he is never going to be fast. They inherited the slow gene from me.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA

A backyard rink isn't an option. I am more focused on dryland work. But honestly, all my kids are naturally slow. So, while things can get a little better, he is never going to be fast. They inherited the slow gene from me.

Situation sounds par for the course

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
anyone in a non-sunny climate deficient in vitamin-d after this ridiculous winter?
I'm in a sunny climate and I'm still deficient after this winter.

I guess in physiology they talk about "fast twitch" and "slow twitch" muscles. I always felt I was given "no twitch" muscles.

Reactions: Kyndig

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006

It was this type of nonsense that led to my grandson quitting hockey a few years ago. He loved playing and was (if I say so myself) a very promising player. But the antics of coaches and parents which resulted in his team mates crying in the locker room was enough for him to say "stick it". He is a brilliant kid and will not need sports to make a living so the family was ok with it--not that it may have mattered!

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I'm in a sunny climate and I'm still deficient after this winter.

I guess in physiology they talk about "fast twitch" and "slow twitch" muscles. I always felt I was given "no twitch" muscles.
Remember the tortoise and the hare!

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Just finished the final draft on my law note. Peer review meeting Friday morning. Its possible I may move out west and become a carney after.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Tonight is the parents vs kids game for my son's team from this past season.

This will be interesting.

My wife is staying home as she expects that she would not be able to keep her mouth shut about what has happened over the past week.

I approve of that decision.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Tonight is the parents vs kids game for my son's team from this past season.

This will be interesting.

My wife is staying home as she expects that she would not be able to keep her mouth shut about what has happened over the past week.

I approve of that decision.
God the politics. I understand the emotions as I coached or helped coach a couple sports. I was loud and had to bite my tongue all too often--Good that you are being mature about this.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
God the politics. I understand the emotions as I coached or helped coach a couple sports. I was loud and had to bite my tongue all too often--Good that you are being mature about this.

I kind of enjoy showing up to things like this and making other people awkward.

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton

Yea, finally have some sun up here over the last couple of days. Miserable working in snowstorms through all of April. Same fella's complaining about the cold 3 days ago are whining about the heat now.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012

After? I'm still waiting for it to end, it's going to snow again this weekend. :facepalm:

It's like "The Long Night" from game of thrones with the snow hitting Florida and winter never ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad