OT: The Semi-Annual, Taste Optional Music Thread: Post Your Feel-Bad Hit of the Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
After watching a Rick Beato video on why Sting's songwriting stands out from all of his contemporaries, I've been listening to "The Soul Cages" pretty steady these past few days. Beautiful album.

If you're not familiar with Beato and you consider yourself a music nerd, you really ought to check out his "What Makes this Song Great" videos. Each one basically is an advanced music theory/engineering lesson.

Here's his take on The Cure

Boston

Tool

Reactions: Andy99

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Beato is a good follow. I'm particularly fond of his WMTSG with Tool and Rush because I'm a huge nerd for complex time sigs.

Oh and to keep the music rolling, I also just discovered Nuclear Power Trio, a djenty instrumental outfit consisting of Donald Trump, Vladimir Putin, and Kim Jong-Un. Holy Hell, does Supreme Leader love playing him some drums, look how freaking happy he is. This is not a political post, please enjoy.

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
This is one of my favorite Spiritualized albums. I like that it's a much more personal album (due to its backstory) than most of Spaceman's other work (and I'm a huge Jason Pierce fan!). It's up there with Ladies and Gentlemen... in my eyes.

"Let it Come Down" is tops for me. He recently said he's done making records and won't ever do a Spacemen 3 reunion.

Reactions: Gurglesons

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
"Let it Come Down" is tops for me. He recently said he's done making records and won't ever do a Spacemen 3 reunion.

Yeah, Let it Come Down is great, but sometimes a little... too much, but "Do It All Over Again" is a masterpiece of pop songwriting. Amazing Grace is my sleeper album, though.

I know there's horrifically bad blood between him and Sonic Boom, so I don't see a Spacemen 3 reunion happening ever, but I'm not so sure we've seen the last of Jason Spaceman. I feel like every album now he says is his last, despite putting out 3 since calling it quits. But on the other hand, if ever a guy deserved to just rest on his laurels, it'd be Pierce. He's put out an amazing body of work.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Is Get Hip still around? I remember buying a Cynics album (No Siesta Tonite) by mail in the mid 90s. Sadly, I didn't get how good the Cynics were until a few years later. I remember thinking that they were too old fashioned for my mid-90s ideas of what punk was.

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
Is Get Hip still around? I remember buying a Cynics album (No Siesta Tonite) by mail in the mid 90s. Sadly, I didn't get how good the Cynics were until a few years later. I remember thinking that they were too old fashioned for my mid-90s ideas of what punk was.

Looks like it: Get Hip Recordings! – Get Hip or Get Lost

I think they were/are big in Spain.

I was never a big 80's garage rock fan but they put on good shows the few times I saw them. The guy that runs gethip and the cynics used to work as the used record buyer at Eides when it was on the North Side (PNC Park may be on that site now).

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I wasn't either in the mid-to-late-90s until that same dude (I think) hipped my mom into getting me a Thee Headcoats album for Christmas one year.

How small the Pittsburgh underground was/is!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad