OT: The Semi-Annual, Taste Optional Music Thread: Post Your Feel-Bad Hit of the Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I wasn't either in the mid-to-late-90s until that same dude (I think) hipped my mom into getting me a Thee Headcoats album for Christmas one year.

How small the Pittsburgh underground was/is!

Speaking of Pittsburgh bands. Did anyone ever jam this band? Kind of a more mathy Thursday style post-hardcore. I think some of the guys hooked up with Mike from Don Cab for a record a couple years ago too.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Is Wayne Coyne still being a chud? Because he's been kind of annoying on the last few albums.

I don't think the 2010s were super great... at all... for the Lips. I'd say this is more a return to form. It's basically a concept album. Very pretty and very sad.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I don't think the 2010s were super great... at all... for the Lips. I'd say this is more a return to form. It's basically a concept album. Very pretty and very sad.

I'll have to check it out...because as you said, the 2010s were not kind to the Lips. At all. At all at all.

That honestly surprised me considering how strongly the 2000s ended for them. Embryonic seemed like a return to form and then there was nothing notably memorable for the next decade.

Seeing them live at The Greek was a bucket list concert for me and they kinda sucked. Tame Impala stole the show...largely because they had a significantly longer set as the opener and played songs from albums people actually wanted to listen to.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'll have to check it out...because as you said, the 2010s were not kind to the Lips. At all. At all at all.

That honestly surprised me considering how strongly the 2000s ended for them. Embryonic seemed like a return to form and then there was nothing notably memorable for the next decade.

Seeing them live at The Greek was a bucket list concert for me and they kinda sucked. Tame Impala stole the show...largely because they had a significantly longer set as the opener and played songs from albums people actually wanted to listen to.

I saw them many years ago at a Nelsonville fest and they were hands down one of the greatest live acts I've ever seen haha... so I suppose it very much depends on the show.

But yeah I hadn't even really thought of them much for years. No huge reason to. A friend of mine brought over a copy of this newest one and I was pretty blown away.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I caught them around the time of Yoshimi and they were great, but they were drawing from mostly that album and The Soft Bulletin which are great. Also I also saw them with Wilco in MSG, and that was good, but not nearly as good as their earlier shows. I feel like that was the point of decline for me.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Seen them a few times. Never really been impressed by their live show, but Soft Bulletin is a jammer.

I like spectacle, but when I saw them with Wilco in the mid-2000s, it was clear they were getting high on their own supply so to speak, and the show just became this hyperindulgent mess of in jokes and wackiness. Ooooh a hamster ball!

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I like spectacle, but when I saw them with Wilco in the mid-2000s, it was clear they were getting high on their own supply so to speak, and the show just became this hyperindulgent mess of in jokes and wackiness. Ooooh a hamster ball!
They were at Desert Daze last year which was the only Stereolab SoCal reunion date so I stayed and watched them because they were going to do Soft Bulletin. Lasted two songs..

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I saw them many years ago at a Nelsonville fest and they were hands down one of the greatest live acts I've ever seen haha... so I suppose it very much depends on the show.

But yeah I hadn't even really thought of them much for years. No huge reason to. A friend of mine brought over a copy of this newest one and I was pretty blown away.

I also feel like it depends on your substances and their substances. I saw them on shrooms and they were great. I saw them once sober and they were... ugh.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
How was Stereolab? Tim Gane and Lætitia Sadier are idols of mine.

Also, RIP Mary Hansen. :(

Amazing and Desert Daze is a very intimate vibe compared to most festivals so I was like right off the stage from Laetitia.

Also Crumb played that day too and they’re kind of Pram / Stereolab / Broadcast esque.

I was supposed to see Stereolab at Pappy and Harriet’s which is an even more intimate venue in Joshua Tree but COVID happened.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia

Ihsahn, of course, is the frontman of black metal powerhouse Emperor. His solo releases are very much NOT black metal. In fact, here is Ihsahn proving how non-black metal it is by covering a-ha on a mountaintop with a beauty of a pinkish guitar.

Einar, by the by, is from the prog metal band Leprous and is summarily awesome. These two always work together it seems, I think one is married to the other's sister or some such.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

Ihsahn, of course, is the frontman of black metal powerhouse Emperor. His solo releases are very much NOT black metal. In fact, here is Ihsahn proving how non-black metal it is by covering a-ha on a mountaintop with a beauty of a pinkish guitar.

Einar, by the by, is from the prog metal band Leprous and is summarily awesome. These two always work together it seems, I think one is married to the other's sister or some such.

I love that a lot of the real hardcore OG black metal dudes are surprisingly much more open (and way cooler for it) than their fans. Fenriz and his love of house music is another great example.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

This video is far removed from the Ihsahn solo stuff I remember.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
I love that a lot of the real hardcore OG black metal dudes are surprisingly much more open (and way cooler for it) than their fans. Fenriz and his love of house music is another great example.

One of two ways it seems, either chill and into synth or fully into stabbing bandmates and burning down churches.

In the interest of keeping the music, here's some Leprous since I mentioned them above.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: