The self-torture, time travelling "What if" thread of Flyers drafts and other decisions

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
After having started the discussion in the roster thread, I thought this might be an interesting side discussion. It also allows us to beat ourselves up over past mismanagement and poor choices that have kept this franchise from hoisting a Cup in the last 45 years.

Because I just got a big work project dumped on me, I'll simply get the thread going and look forward to your input.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I always think what if Pronger didn't have to retire. I also wonder what if the Flyers never made the Lindros trade. I honestly don't know if they would have been better or not, but if we had Forsberg and the other players, would we have been better?

My presumption is that the team remains unable to build around their core and it doesn't matter.

I wonder if Pelle living would have made any substantial difference.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
One I thought of is What if the Flyers never make the huge mistake of trading their first round pick in 2008 draft (27Th overall) for Steve Eminger (who onliy played 12 games as a Flyer and a 3rd rounder.
That pick, turned out to be John Carlson, who would have looked pretty good for the last 12 years on the blueline.

Giving up a 2nd and 3rd for Andrew MacDonald (and giving him that albatross of a contract) , those 2 picks turned out to Sorokin (promising young goalie) and Brandon Carlo

and of course trading Bob to the Jackets, after the Flyers goalie coach told them once he got used to North America, he'd be a Vezina candidate. And he was...

WHat if Bob Clarke understood that you do need a quality goaltender and instead of going cheap when Hexy retired, getting Beezer (who was older than Hexy at the time) when Cujo and Richter were availabe. Lindros in his [prime with a solid goalie might have made a difference in a Cup run.

Last edited:

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
The two biggest what ifs in my Flyers fandom are:

1) What if Lindros sits out the entire 2000 ECF?
2) What if Rico doesn't break his arm playing catch with his son in 2004?

If the Lindros trade doesn't happen, I'm not a Flyer fan, so I don't look at that move, nor to what ifs prior to that. :laugh:

Say Hey Kid

War, children, it’s just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
375px-Dice_%28typical_role_playing_game_dice%29.jpg

I now believe in my first conspiracy theory. I think the Flyers have been tanking since 1976. I don't believe it's possible that while other teams were making draft steals such as Hasek, Brett Hull, and Gilmour, or even good picks such as the 2 Pavels (Datsyuk and Bure) and McDavid that the best Flyers career player they could draft is Giroux (or whoever you like best since 1976). My D&D dice could draft better than their front office. ;)

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
One I thought of is What if the Flyers never make the huge mistake of trading their first round pick in 2008 draft (27Th overall) for Steve Eminger (who onliy played 12 games as a Flyer and a 3rd rounder.
That pick, turned out to be John Carlson, who would have looked pretty good for the last 12 years on the blueline.

Giving up a 2nd and 3rd for Andrew MacDonald (and giving him that albatross of a contract) , those 2 picks turned out to Sorokin (promising young goalie) and Brandon Carlo

and of course trading Bob to the Jackets, after the Flyers goalie coach told them once he got used to North America, he'd be a Vezina candidate. And he was...

WHat if Bob Clarke understood that you do need a quality goaltender and instead of going cheap when Hexy retired, getting Beezer (who was older than Hexy at the time) when Cujo and Richter were availabe. Lindros in his [prime with a solid goalie might have made a difference in a Cup run.

Clarke made a solid offer to Richter. Clarke did not want to get into a bidding war with the Rangers. Richter wanted to take as much time as possible to improve his situation which was his right as a free agent. Neilson coached JVB in the Panthers' Cup Finals run in 1996. Yes, it didn't work out well but not all that is on Clarke.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
All teams have questionable drafts and history can be re-written. Boston passed on Bobby Clarke, not once or twice but three times.

In the 1984 NHL Draft with the 47th pick, the Flyers draft John Stevens. Four picks later, at 51, Patrick Roy is drafted. Wanna change history? Think about that for a moment and with multiple antennas.

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
There are some many to choose from.

What if Bernie Parent and Rick MacLeish were healthy for the 1976 Cup Final? Could the Flyers have made it three Cups in a row?

What if Pelle decided to stay home like he planned and never went to the team party? I'm convinced the Flyers would have won the Cup that year and Pelle would have played another decade.

What if the Flyers don't blow that 3-1 lead to Jersey in 2000? That team was on a roll and I believe the return of Lindros knocked the chemistry off. I'm still not over that series to this day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad