Prospect Info: The Second Overall Pick Thread: Part II (Kakko/Hughes Talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
OMG, please, enough of this. We have explained to you several times how wrong you are outside one particular situation under a completely different management team and situation almost 10 years ago.

And yes, I can say the same about Kakko, and you asking as such just confirms to me that you're more so anti-Kakko for some dumb reason versus actually thinking we would pass on him.

And no we would not take that. We don't need more ****ing picks, we're taking the franchise player and we're taking Kakko, just accept it already, JFC.
hey to be fair id trade #2 overall for mcdavid in a heartbeat.....lets do it

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
OMG, please, enough of this. We have explained to you several times how wrong you are outside one particular situation under a completely different management team and situation almost 10 years ago.

And yes, I can say the same about Kakko, and you asking as such just confirms to me that you're more so anti-Kakko for some dumb reason versus actually thinking we would pass on him.

And no we would not take that. We don't need more ****ing picks, we're taking the franchise player and we're taking Kakko, just accept it already, JFC.

I believe Kakko will be an excellent NHL player. I have never seen anything that suggests he is a super-duper generational talent. There is a big difference between him an Hughes and it’s not hard to see.
Some folks are way way way overeating this kids talent. That is a huge set up for disappointment

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
I believe Kakko will be an excellent NHL player. I have never seen anything that suggests he is a super-duper generational talent. There is a big difference between him an Hughes and it’s not hard to see.
Some folks are way way way overeating this kids talent. That is a huge set up for disappointment
the difference between hughes and kakko is alot closer then you think

my guess is your looking at hughes lighting it up at the u18's and thinking wow.....kakko is playing with the mens national team, that u18 usa team is stacked....put kakko on that team and he would have a similar stat line to hughes in my opinion

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Sounds like you're saying the drop off from 1 to 2 is far wider then 2 to 3? If that's the case then sure, 4 and 14 for 2nd can make sense.

However, everything I've seen suggests otherwise: Hughs clear cut 1, Kakko clear cut 2, then everyone else.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
Hughes is number 1 for me, but the gap isn't even close to as large as you think it is, even Bob confirmed from his scours (which is by far the most accurate representation of teams boards) that while Hughes is still 1, the gap has shrunk tremendously.

You don't have to love Kakko as much as the rest of us, that's totally fine. Just don't post stupid BS that we're passing on him when you know damn well we're not. Lol

ALSO, HUGHES IS NOT A GENERATIONAL TALENT, HE IS NOT CROSBY/MCDAVID.

Reactions: 007

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I have never seen anything that suggests he is a super-duper generational talent. There is a big difference between him an Hughes and it’s not hard to see.
There is a difference between Hughes and Kakko. But it is not that Hughes is a generational talent. He isn't. That term gets thrown around way too easily. Should Hughes be considered better than Kakko and should he got 1OA? Yes, no doubt about it. But both players can be considered to be potential franchise cornerstones.

Reactions: WeRa and haveandare

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
Sounds like you're saying the drop off from 1 to 2 is far wider then 2 to 3? If that's the case then sure, 4 and 14 for 2nd can make sense.

However, everything I've seen suggests otherwise: Hughs clear cut 1, Kakko clear cut 2, then everyone else.
The gap from 1-2 is A LOT smaller than 2-3. It's not even close really. Hughes is still number 1 for me, but it's asinine to argue that Byram/whoever is closer to Kakko than Kakko is to Hughes. For me, Hughes is on a level similar to Eichel, while Kakko is a better and more mature version of Svechnikov.

Reactions: WeRa and romba

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Hughes is the consensus No. 1 for good reasons but I don't think there's a lot of doubt who is No. 2 or who is more physically ready to play--that's Kakko. And Kakko has been playing (and pretty successfully) against grown men the last couple years. He's way ahead of the curve in comparison to his peers in the upcoming draft.

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
I’m a fan. I live and die with this team. Family and friends consider me irrational. I’ve been on these boards for over 15 years. I’m not some troll or kook seeking attention. I’m not going to let folks smear me and be quiet about it.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I’m a fan. I live and die with this team. Family and friends consider me irrational. I’ve been on these boards for over 15 years. I’m not some troll or kook seeking attention. I’m not going to let folks smear me and be quiet about it.
Then at least show us your work on how you get to your points or show us you know what you’re talking about

Reactions: UnSandvich

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
Then at least talk sense dude. I already said that you can not love Kakko as much as the rest of us, but don't say we're passing on him, because we're just not...like...0%.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

Hughes isn't a super duper generational talent either

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I just finished watching the Sweden-Finland game. The contrast is quite big from the U18, and it stands out quite much that Kakko is eligible to play against the kids as well. Many of them are pretty raw, Kakko certainly isn’t.

I know this might rub some intanglibles allergic posters the wrong way, but it shouldn’t, don’t misunderstand me, but what really sticks out in Kakko’s game is his intanglibles. How hard he competes. His ability to win back pucks. The reads he makes. How effective he plays. One thing that is illustrative is that if you ever watched highlights of him, it stands out how many wrap-around goals he scores. But what those plays really is about is just the amount of puck battles and pucks he wins, and if you can strip a D of the puck behind the net a wraparound is close at hand.

The level of play at this level, or the WJC U20, and so forth is just pretty high. But Kakko still just competes harder than most out there night in and night out. That is not just about making up your mind, everyone are determined at this level, it’s a skill and an ability that also is unique for him. In a way he actually reminds me a bit of Peter Forsberg or Markus Naslund in that regard. They took that competitive aspect to the next level, it was a part of all their training to have like mini-competitions in all drills and they really embraced it.

But that is what ‘really’ sticks out. Looking at the basis of his game he is just a very very good player for someone his age and you can also mention his size. He thinks the game well, he is good in thight quarters with the puck, his shot is perfectly OK.

At this age, he is overall up there with the best I’ve ever seen. But at the same time, it should be noted that he doesn’t display the extreme raw core abilities that a few have done, like AO or Crosby and co. Speed, ability to carry the puck etc.

I can’t call it, say that I am certain of this or that. These guys are pretty rare and I’ve not — for natural reasons... — not bad the pleasure to follow most of these kids really closely for a longer period before. But it’s hard to not think of guys like Eichel when you see him. He is up there with that type of kid. I actually don’t think that a comparison to a young Eric Staal is that off overall.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
Kakko is not a generational talent. He isn't the greatest skater but he can skate. He doesn't have the absolute greatest shot but he knows how to use it properly. He has the vision to score and the most important aspect of his game that I absolutely loved and stood out to me more than anyone I have seen in a long time is his tenacious attitude. The dude is POWERFUL on the puck. He battles guys bigger than him and wins. He is hard to get off the puck and he often stops to punish players trying to take it from him. He hits. I love that he is physical AND he is skilled. Whereas Hughes is a better skater and playmaker not to mention much faster he lacks every aspect of Kakko's physicality. I would love either but based on the kinds of players the Rangers have I feel Kakko would benefit us more in the short term and I really think he is a safer pick than Hughes. Hughes could still bust because of his body. He does not look strong enough to handle NHL punishment consistently and that is my only knock on him because otherwise he is perfect.

Reactions: WeRa and RangerSeth

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
I still can't believe we are having this they will pick off the board conversation. There is no way they pass up whoever New Jersey doesn't pick (Prob Kaapo). Nobody in this draft is on their level. The guy who is the likely 3rd is Podkolzin and he is not even close to the other two. Also doesn't bobby mac's scouts have Jack and Kaapo as the consensus 1 and 2. Its honestly laughable to think they will go off the board

Reactions: RangerSeth

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I still can't believe we are having this they will pick off the board conversation. There is no way they pass up whoever New Jersey doesn't pick (Prob Kaapo). Nobody in this draft is on their level. The guy who is the likely 3rd is Podkolzin and he is not even close to the other two. Also doesn't bobby mac's scouts have Jack and Kaapo as the consensus 1 and 2. Its honestly laughable to think they will go off the board

Podkolzin is falling.

I think the U18's have made it clear that this is a 2 horse race.

Reactions: Rangers743

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I just finished watching the Sweden-Finland game. The contrast is quite big from the U18, and it stands out quite much that Kakko is eligible to play against the kids as well. Many of them are pretty raw, Kakko certainly isn’t.

I know this might rub some intanglibles allergic posters the wrong way, but it shouldn’t, don’t misunderstand me, but what really sticks out in Kakko’s game is his intanglibles. How hard he competes. His ability to win back pucks. The reads he makes. How effective he plays. One thing that is illustrative is that if you ever watched highlights of him, it stands out how many wrap-around goals he scores. But what those plays really is about is just the amount of puck battles and pucks he wins, and if you can strip a D of the puck behind the net a wraparound is close at hand.

The level of play at this level, or the WJC U20, and so forth is just pretty high. But Kakko still just competes harder than most out there night in and night out. That is not just about making up your mind, everyone are determined at this level, it’s a skill and an ability that also is unique for him. In a way he actually reminds me a bit of Peter Forsberg or Markus Naslund in that regard. They took that competitive aspect to the next level, it was a part of all their training to have like mini-competitions in all drills and they really embraced it.

But that is what ‘really’ sticks out. Looking at the basis of his game he is just a very very good player for someone his age and you can also mention his size. He thinks the game well, he is good in thight quarters with the puck, his shot is perfectly OK.

At this age, he is overall up there with the best I’ve ever seen. But at the same time, it should be noted that he doesn’t display the extreme raw core abilities that a few have done, like AO or Crosby and co. Speed, ability to carry the puck etc.

I can’t call it, say that I am certain of this or that. These guys are pretty rare and I’ve not — for natural reasons... — not bad the pleasure to follow most of these kids really closely for a longer period before. But it’s hard to not think of guys like Eichel when you see him. He is up there with that type of kid. I actually don’t think that a comparison to a young Eric Staal is that off overall.

Great post, thanks Ola.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
What happened to the salad days of hysterically watching Kakko highlights?

^ this would be even better.
To be fair, I know I have reported posts just for being dumb before; hell, there's a chance you've read some of those reports

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Even if I play devil’s advocate, I don’t know who would even be in the conversation when it comes to passing on Kakko.

It’s not Podkolzin. That becomes more and more evident.

It’s not Byram or Turcotte or Dach or Cozens or Zegras.

There’s no clear cut candidate to take over Kakko. There’s no rumors of Rangers liking someone more. There’s no riser who looks like he could displace Kakko. There’s just nothing here.

This whole pick and scenario isn’t like any other situation this team has ever been in.

This isn’t picking 9th or 10th or even 4th. This is a completely different animal.

This isn't like getting on a plane and being spooked by turbulence. This is like getting on a plane and fearing that the tray table is going to take you out.

It doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad