The Search For a GM II: 2nd Round of Interviews Under Way

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I would love to know who’s in on the interview. It would tell us a lot of where the organization is at and if the new GM can create his own hockey ops structure.

That won't happen. The new GM will have to accept Lowe and MacT as integral parts of the organization as Chia did.

AVE MAN

Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
Just seemed odd saying he is out, but also saying he would be a serious candidate. Why not just leave it at "he's out". Just odd.
I agree sounds like Rishaug is giving himself an out. Even the Oilers release yesterday to media, saying theyre still in the process, seemed a bit odd to react so quickly to the rumour.

Lowetide just said on his show that he knows Rod Pederson well, so followed up with him about all the blowback against his Holland suggestion, but Pederson doubled down on his affirmation on Holland.
For what it's worth.
From whoever his source is, he seems to adamantly believe it. Now other journalists are starting to write articles about Holland (ie Jonathan Willis)

Dean Millard on twitter just now insinuated that he heard from a source within the organization that they'll have a General Manager in place in a week.

I hate to say it Gents but I think Holland is the new GM of this team and we're going to hear about it sooner rather than later.
I was hoping McCrimmon but I have this eerie feeling it is Holland.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
They know if Holland is hired peopled won't be happy. Just testing the waters maybe?

Mr Tadakichi

Nov 23, 2014
As much as I don't want Holland, they should make decisions based on more than just "How will the fans react"

With the bad press this organization has had recently, I wouldn't doubt if they are tiptoeing around revealing who they are interested in. Also, the people I mentioned would include the media as well, who should be skeptical of a Holland hiring.

kacz

Jul 1, 2003
www.youtube.com
Jim Rutherford and Lou Lamoriello were said to be over the hill, but are still doing great things. Jimmy stabilized that Pens team and won 2 cups in a row, and Lou has taken a Tavares-less Isles team further than Tavares went himself this year.

Holland has seen it all, and was easily top 5 respected GM's at the time of his 'promotion'. Oilers could do worse. With that being said I'd be shocked if Kenny took on the Oilers gig, I think he's heading to Seattle.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
With the bad press this organization has had recently, I wouldn't doubt if they are tiptoeing around revealing who they are interested in. Also, the people I mentioned would include the media as well, who should be skeptical of a Holland hiring.

They don't care one iota about bad press. They know full well how angry the fanbase has been for years about the OBC still being involved yet they still employ them in prominent positions. If Katz cared about bad press, he would have cleaned house a long time ago.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I agree sounds like Rishaug is giving himself an out. Even the Oilers release yesterday to media, saying theyre still in the process, seemed a bit odd to react so quickly to the rumour.
When/where did the Oilers release a statement yesterday?

I'm gonna guess Rishaug has better connections than a recently fired football commentator in Saskatchewan does.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
That won't happen. The new GM will have to accept Lowe and MacT as integral parts of the organization as Chia did.
You know this how? Got a link? Insider info, or just an opinion?

Also...again. Holland JUST SIGNED A CONTRACT with DETROIT...LAST WEEK.

Mr Tadakichi

Nov 23, 2014
They don't care one iota about bad press. They know full well how angry the fanbase has been for years about the OBC still being involved yet they still employ them in prominent positions. If Katz cared about bad press, he would have cleaned house a long time ago.

Oh I think they do care about bad press. It's just that they have a closet full of sacrificial goats in case things go awry.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Oh I think they do care about bad press. It's just that they have a closet full of sacrificial goats in case things go awry.

They've been getting tarred and feathered by the fanbase and 90% of the media (outside of local shills) about OBC involvement and the general Oiler culture yet Katz has done nothing to remedy that.

Does he really think that shuffling deck chairs is going to make the bad press go away? I know some people think that he's oblivious to what's being said but I'd bet anything that he knows full well what the public thinks about the Oiler organization and I bet he knows full well the names that people are listing as the problem yet they're still here for about a decade of failure.

Reactions: TB12

kacz

Jul 1, 2003
www.youtube.com

In reference to that contract extension for Kenny, that was just an anomaly. If you watched that press conference between the Wings owner, kept reiterating that, 'if Kenny stays, we hope he stays' kinda thing. So basically that contract means nothing at this point, he can leave when and where he wants, he's earned that.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Lowe and MacT have been here in some capacity for over a decade despite failing in various roles. Surely you can understand why I'd think those two are off limits for any firings.

I agree about the Holland rumor. It's garbage.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Jim Rutherford and Lou Lamoriello were said to be over the hill, but are still doing great things. Jimmy stabilized that Pens team and won 2 cups in a row, and Lou has taken a Tavares-less Isles team further than Tavares went himself this year.

Holland has seen it all, and was easily top 5 respected GM's at the time of his 'promotion'. Oilers could do worse. With that being said I'd be shocked if Kenny took on the Oilers gig, I think he's heading to Seattle.
The only thing that makes them comparable is that they're old and have been around for a long time.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
In reference to that contract extension for Kenny, that was just an anomaly. If you watched that press conference between the Wings owner, kept reiterating that, 'if Kenny stays, we hope he stays' kinda thing. So basically that contract means nothing at this point, he can leave when and where he wants, he's earned that.

Ken Holland isn’t going anywhere; signs extension with Red Wings

How more clear does it need to be for you?

Ken Holland Is Sticking Around For Now

"At the same press conference that introduced Yzerman as GM, Chris Illitch mentioned that Holland’s contract had been extended for multiple years"

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Dustin Nielson from this morning:

A source within the Oilers organization has mentioned to me that certain members of the front office have been directed to keep the GM search very close to the chest.

It’s also been suggested to me that front office staff may even be misleading some insiders to keep people out of the loop on what’s actually happening as they search for the next GM. I’m not an insider so it doesn’t matter to me who’s telling who what but I would just advise everyone to take everything with a grain of salt right now.
The Endgame

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Re-reading that situation though it appears to be moreso that they said thanks for all you've done so you can stay as long as you like as an advisor, but Steve's the GM. It's really not too much different than what happened to Lamoriello last year, but Detroit managed the optics better to recognize the success he had brought over his career to Detroit, whereas Toronto didn't really need to do that as he had only been there a couple years and they hadn't accomplished anything major with him at GM.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Ken holds all the cards here. As I said, I'd be shocked if he wanted the Oilers job. Seattle on the other hand I think is his eventual destination.

That'd be perfect. Let Seattle take on the worst GM in the league

Oilers dont need to make a lateral move by firing Chiarelli and hiring Holland. Two GMs of equal (crappy) caliber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad