Rumor: (The Score update) PK Subban looking for a 7 year deal north of $6.5M

Flyinghab

Jul 18, 2012
Ontario
PJ Stock knows zero about the Habs. Its hilarious listening to him and Cherry! I just want Subbs signed...hear me Bergy! Lol!

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
So, he should be paid more than players better than him ?

It's gonna happen, as long as he's not too overpaid.

It's hard to establish his value based on comparables...Suter and Weber are massively overpaid...but Suter was a uFa in a different CBA and Weber was an offer sheet.

Doughty is underpaid by most comparisions, but his deal is 3 years old before he won a cup(I believe). Campbell and Letang look overpaid...

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Are you being serious? Thats the best you can do? Jim Carey has a Verina. Therefore, he's better than any goalie to have ever played that havent won a Vezina? Do you realize how this makes no sense?

The awnsers that MB would give back would make you look foolish ;)

You think MB is going to tell Subban his Norris is meaningless after the whole point of the bridge deal was for him to prove himself?

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
Los Angeles is paying Doughty 7M, Quick 5.8M, Kopitar 6.8M.

If we pay Subban as a RFA at nearly 10M, we will have a top-10 D-Men in the league for the next 8 years but we will never win a cup.

To me PK is great but he is below Keith, Suter, Weber and Doughty.
Not to mention that Suter was UFA and Weber had an offer sheet.

BTW, we can compare PK to Letang and Phaneuf but both are on the trade market...

Karlsson or Pietrangelo at 6.5 or PK at 10M?

capebretoncanadien

Nov 29, 2008
Have you watched the games this year? It was a horrible. And most of the times, Price saved our *****.

As opposed to last year when we had a puck-possession forechecking style and we dominated most of the time. Why did that idiot changed our style? Just for **** and giggles?

Yep...they played the same aggressive style until around November and I didn't see it again consistently til the playoffs

Stupid like a fox?:naughty:

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Doughty>Subban>Pietrangelo

Doughty $7MM for next 5 years
Pietrangelo $6.5MM for next 6 years

That's all MB needs to show and slide a 8 x $7MM offer across the table and ask Meehan to show how his player deserves more

If it went to arbitration he wouldn't get more than $7MM/yr

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

That's all MB needs to show and slide a 8 x $7MM offer across the table and ask Meehan to show how his player deserves more

If he goes to arbitration Bergevin should be shot. We ripped Subban off last time. Pay the man his money and move on.

Roke

Jul 21, 2003
Winnipeg

It's not that simple to find comparisons, you have to consider the leverage each side had in negotiations when those contracts were signed. Doughty and Pietrangelo signed contracts coming off their entry-level deals. They were four years away from unrestricted free agency and had no arbitration rights, so the teams had all the leverage.

The Habs will be buying more UFA years on this contract than Doughty's or Pietrangelos and UFA years tend to be more expensive. Plus Subban's now arbitration eligible so Bergevin can't do the "take it or leave it" thing he did with the bridge deal.

Shea Weber two years from unrestricted free agency (the same situation Subban's in right now) got $7.5 million in arbitration, without Norris silverware. The expectation should be Subban gets more than that via arbitration, and that would only be for one (or two) years, so a longer-term deal should be even more expensive than that.

I'm expecting Subban to go the arbitration route this summer, get $8-9 million and then next summer he'll either sign his expensive long-term deal or bridge to free agency through arbitration again.

Maybe he's really generous, but he can get $8 million/year short-term, the cap is expected to go up in the future, and unrestricted free agency would bring a massive payday. The 8 years at $8 million that's been talked about all season would be leaving a tonne of money on the table after the team and offer-sheet collusion left him underpaid for the past two seasons.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Maybe he's really generous, but he can get $8 million/year short-term, the cap is expected to go up in the future, and unrestricted free agency would bring a massive payday. The 8 years at $8 million that's been talked about all season would be leaving a tonne of money on the table after the team and offer-sheet collusion left him underpaid for the past two seasons.

Apparently, Subban had offer sheets on the table but told his agent he didn't even want to look at them.

He wants to be a Habs for life, but at some point, the Habs will also have to give some love back.

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world

Except Doughty signed his contract when the salary cap was 64 million, making his salary worth ~11% of the cap.

Next year the salary cap is slated to be ~ 71mil, so if we pay Subban 8mil it will still be ~11% of the salary cap. Even 8.5 would be ~ 12% of the cap, so their salaries would have the same impact on how much space is available for other players.

Not to mention that Subban is better and more accomplished than Doughty was when he signed that contract, so if anything Subban deserves to take up 11% of the cap, while Doughty didn't at that point.

FinnHab

May 24, 2006
overseas...
Lol, harcore Subban-fanatics on this board are so sensitive. Kid will be filthy rich, but i dont know if "subbaniatics" will understand that fact over constant melodrama. Because we "ripped" or "lowballing" Subban.

Kid is good d-man but sometimes this drama here is comical.

bigtimehockeyfan999*

Apparently, Subban had offer sheets on the table but told his agent he didn't even want to look at them.

He wants to be a Habs for life, but at some point, the Habs will also have to give some love back.

source?c

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
So let me get this straight.

Subban is not worth $8m because Doughty but Markov is worth $6+/3 years because Markov.

No wonder this team is messed up...

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
The people that cry about PK bridge deal THINK Subban was hurt by this are crazy. Subban knows this is a business and after talking to MB he signed the bridge contract...ppl here make it sound like MB held a gun to his head. Some fans are so thin skin....thank god PK is more intelligent!

Subban has stated many times he loves Montreal and wants to stay. If he decides to sign a 2 year contract so he can make more money after the 2 years...so be it........

The big TV Roger deal won't affect the cap in until 2015....most expert say the cap will be a least 75m or more. So if PK wants another 2 year deal for 8m so be it.
After he can sign his big deal that can be for over 8 years for so much more money.......10m+

All the cry babies don't have to worry....because PK really wants to PLAY in MONTREAL.....unless you believe he is lying?
"Since 2007 when I was drafted by Montreal, I think I've made it pretty clear that I want to remain here and play here for a long time, hopefully for the rest of my career," Subban said

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
I'd be happy with these numbers, what do you think?

As per the score:

Report: P.K. Subban looking for contract in excess of 7 years, $45 million

juin 17 2014, 4:23 PMJustin Cuthbert

P.K. Subban's decision to sign a bridge deal turned out to be a lucrative one and now, two years later, the Montreal Canadiens defenseman appears unwilling to settle and ready to cash in.

That is, certainly not for less money than a Canadian Olympic teammate.

The polarizing defenseman is reportedly looking to sign a contract in excess of the seven-year, $45.5-million deal St. Louis Blues defenseman Alex Pietrangelo signed prior to the 2013 season, per Andy Strickland of FOX Sports Midwest.

Uncomfortable rounds of negotiation loom and while the Canadiens may not award him Pietrangelo money, don't bank on Subban being low-balled this time around.

If that's what PK Subban wants then the Habs should be signing him immediately, IMHO.:handclap:

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
When has the Score ever been relevant? Their "articles" basically consists of stealing gifs from r/hockey r/football r/soccer and Deadspin.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

And Meehan slides the half dozen offer sheets, all for substantially more, and suggests Bergevin do better. There is no scenario where we get Subban for 7M, at least not unless he is beyond generous.

crystal ball

Mar 30, 2007
FFS. So much fail. For starters the idea that Montreal 'may not award him Pietrangelo money' is a garbage assertion. PK will of course get much more than that, no slight against AP, it's just the factor of when the contracts get signed.

And, the intrepid reporter refers to Subban as "the polarizing defenseman." I'd maybe have gone with "The 2013 Norris Trophy winner" but what do I know. If you actually go to the score.com and to this story, Mr. Cuthbert has another feature on Subban's contract situation in which he refers to Subban as a 'lightning rod' and a 'defensive paradox' with 'liabilities in the defensive end.' He at least cites PK's Norris in the article so bonus points for remembering that.

YES! This is what I took from this article. Why do these TO "reporters" spend so much time in their thesaurus trying to find similes for "*******?" Because that's what all of those phrases mean. This drives me nuts. I thought the guy had earned a measure of respect with his massive playoff performance, but apparently not.

WG

Sep 9, 2008

Then Meehan shows the recently signed Phaneuf and Letang contracts and asks Bergevin why they shouldn't set that as the floor for negotiations. And then what?

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Los Angeles is paying Doughty 7M, Quick 5.8M, Kopitar 6.8M.

If we pay Subban as a RFA at nearly 10M, we will have a top-10 D-Men in the league for the next 8 years but we will never win a cup.

To me PK is great but he is below Keith, Suter, Weber and Doughty.
Not to mention that Suter was UFA and Weber had an offer sheet.

BTW, we can compare PK to Letang and Phaneuf but both are on the trade market...

Karlsson or Pietrangelo at 6.5 or PK at 10M?

Compare PK to Letang and Phaneuf ?? :laugh:

As it stands, 3 defensemen sit at the top and they are Doughty, Keith, Subban. In that order.

Weber is a close 4th. He's more reliable defensively than the former 3, but in terms of game breaking ability there is a significant drop off.

Suter gets overrated because of the minutes he plays and the market he plays in. He would be better off as an elite #2 than a #1.

Pietrangelo rounds out the top5, but he too gets overrated.. He does everything well and is as safe as can be. But he too lacks the game breaking ability of The top 3.

Karlsson is a forward as far as I'm concerned. He gets outmuscled in his own zone by Danny ****ing Briere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad