News Article: The Score labels Armia a Bust - WTH??

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Jenner had 49 points including assists and our boy Schiefele had 61 I think total points.

Is there a massive corsi difference that's in Boone's favour?

Are you kidding Jenner's CF% is worse than Stu's. His P/60 is also far below Scheif's. It is just an extremely bad re-draft.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I really think Armia can go either way. I've seen plenty of players with ridiculous talent never put it together, and guys who figure it out and become beasts after uninspiring starts to their career.

IF Armia finds confidence at the NHL level, watch out. If not, that would be sad but it wouldn't sink us in the Buffalo deal.

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
I don't think it comes down to Little/Wheeler or Connor...

I mean really, Pav,Stuart, Stafford,Thorburn,Peluso lol, and others contracts will be off the books, the cap WILL go up eventually, those guys right there, that's how much? almost 20 million in cap space... That should be more than enough for Connor Little and Wheeler combined... I mean, you seem to have unrealistic expectations for Connor, Maybe let the Kid play a PRO game before you compare him to 2 established stars in Little and Wheeler.
Don't forget Enstrom

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
The couple of games he got to play with Ehlers is what you should expect from him there was instant chemistry because they have a similar sets of skills and vision.I predict he will be a top 9 player just depending on the make up of the lines and chemistry.Like others have said if he is centered by Lowry or Burmi don't expect much from him he is a great complimentary player on any line but not a guy that drives the pace like Ehlers and Wheeler.I think he will be great with Laine he is a good playmaker,Good defensively and will have a sense of comfort being able to communicate well with Laine.Armia's biggest issue is his first couple of steps hopefully he will be able to improve that over the summer that extra second he would give himself to be able to make plays he is accustomed to making will make all of the difference.He needs to get the puck with some speed and accuracy but again that only happens when playing with good players.having to stop at the blue line while Burmi does some dangles and turn backs really effects his flow or chasing a puck that Lowry has dumped in really isn't his game.He has adapted so he was able to get some 4th line playing time but this has really effected his offensive game.Maurice needs to play him in a role he is best at.Watch some highlights from his time with the Sabres farm team playing with grigorenko who is no star himself but he is a skilled player.In my opinion this is also why he didn't excel with ice caps and moose the coach misused him not that there was a abundance of talent to play with anyways but even last year when Petan was sent down there were some opportunities to play him with Armia but the coach had him with halischuk and I think Cormier what a complete waste of time.If I was him at this point I would be starting to get frustrated he knows the skill level he has but continually gets rolled out with garbage.He has done everything Maurice has asked of him in order to be a 4th liner but that is flat out not the style of game he his good at.Luckily this year we should have 3 good lines and Maurice is going to be forced to play him with good players unless he somehow thinks Lowry,Burmi or Thorburn are top 9 guys.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The couple of games he got to play with Ehlers is what you should expect from him there was instant chemistry because they have a similar sets of skills and vision.I predict he will be a top 9 player just depending on the make up of the lines and chemistry.Like others have said if he is centered by Lowry or Burmi don't expect much from him he is a great complimentary player on any line but not a guy that drives the pace like Ehlers and Wheeler.I think he will be great with Laine he is a good playmaker,Good defensively and will have a sense of comfort being able to communicate well with Laine.Armia's biggest issue is his first couple of steps hopefully he will be able to improve that over the summer that extra second he would give himself to be able to make plays he is accustomed to making will make all of the difference.He needs to get the puck with some speed and accuracy but again that only happens when playing with good players.having to stop at the blue line while Burmi does some dangles and turn backs really effects his flow or chasing a puck that Lowry has dumped in really isn't his game.He has adapted so he was able to get some 4th line playing time but this has really effected his offensive game.Maurice needs to play him in a role he is best at.Watch some highlights from his time with the Sabres farm team playing with grigorenko who is no star himself but he is a skilled player.In my opinion this is also why he didn't excel with ice caps and moose the coach misused him not that there was a abundance of talent to play with anyways but even last year when Petan was sent down there were some opportunities to play him with Armia but the coach had him with halischuk and I think Cormier what a complete waste of time.If I was him at this point I would be starting to get frustrated he knows the skill level he has but continually gets rolled out with garbage.He has done everything Maurice has asked of him in order to be a 4th liner but that is flat out not the style of game he his good at.Luckily this year we should have 3 good lines and Maurice is going to be forced to play him with good players unless he somehow thinks Lowry,Burmi or Thorburn are top 9 guys.

While I have generally supportive Armia and believe he will be a NHL player, I don't buy Maurice needs to be looking to find Armia the right soft landing on the team. Armia is 23 y/o, draft +6 and going into his 2nd contract. By now you are pretty much the player you are going to be. You need to make a positive impact no matter what role you are put in.

You are right that the Jets now have better players but that is more likely than anything to push him down the lineup. With Wheeler, the emergence of Ehlers and potential high offensive guys in Laine and Connor, Armia is now fighting for bottom 6 work. Based on last season's play I think there is a good chance MP-Bumi-Dano are kept together on the 3rd line. The hope for Armia then is Maurice puts together a 4th line that has offensive upside. Some combination of Armia, Lowry, Copp and Petan. Though Petan is probably going to be the odd man out due to waiver exempt status. Hopefully Thor gets used to eating popcorn in the PB and Big Anthony takes on all comers for the Moose.

If Armia is able to provide some secondary scoring and plays strong defensively he might get some opportunities to move up the lineup with injuries etc. But I'd argue at this time Petan will be tough competition for him and likely also will be given opportunities to slide into offensive roles as needed.

If I had to guess Armia provides something similar to last season and is exposed in the expansion draft.

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
Armia is 23 y/o, draft +6 and going into his 2nd contract. By now you are pretty much the player you are going to be.
Armia just turned 23yo and is actually draft +5, and that bolded argument is the biggest pile of BS which i have heard for a while.

He spent half of the season with the Jets. Became familiar with the team, and we all saw the potential. Now he has motivation at his top for the summer practice.

Somebody could guess that he will be considerably better in the next season.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Joel Armia was an excellent 4th liner if my memory serves me correctly. Sure he didn't score in that role but he was driving play and being exceptionally responsible. His stick work was second to none.

That, im assuming was the reason why he was moved up the lineup instead of Thorburn in the second half of the season.

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
While I have generally supportive Armia and believe he will be a NHL player, I don't buy Maurice needs to be looking to find Armia the right soft landing on the team. Armia is 23 y/o, draft +6 and going into his 2nd contract. By now you are pretty much the player you are going to be. You need to make a positive impact no matter what role you are put in.

You are right that the Jets now have better players but that is more likely than anything to push him down the lineup. With Wheeler, the emergence of Ehlers and potential high offensive guys in Laine and Connor, Armia is now fighting for bottom 6 work. Based on last season's play I think there is a good chance MP-Bumi-Dano are kept together on the 3rd line. The hope for Armia then is Maurice puts together a 4th line that has offensive upside. Some combination of Armia, Lowry, Copp and Petan. Though Petan is probably going to be the odd man out due to waiver exempt status. Hopefully Thor gets used to eating popcorn in the PB and Big Anthony takes on all comers for the Moose.

If Armia is able to provide some secondary scoring and plays strong defensively he might get some opportunities to move up the lineup with injuries etc. But I'd argue at this time Petan will be tough competition for him and likely also will be given opportunities to slide into offensive roles as needed.

If I had to guess Armia provides something similar to last season and is exposed in the expansion draft.

I think Dano is waiver exempt for one more year,unless he comes out guns a blazin I think he starts with the moose.I actually think the main battle for a spot will be between Connor,Dano and Petan because they can all go to the moose.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think Dano is waiver exempt for one more year,unless he comes out guns a blazin I think he starts with the moose.I actually think the main battle for a spot will be between Connor,Dano and Petan because they can all go to the moose.

I think Connor will be starting on the Jets. Likely part of the discussions about him agreeing to turn pro. Also see Dano as a clear step/level ahead of Armia. If you look just at last years underlying numbers he is well ahead of Armia. If you include his Columbus numbers he is a mile ahead.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...aters&minutes=50&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...ters&minutes=400&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
Those underlying numbers aren't worth of crap. Of course somebody who hasn't actually seen many games last season could fall for those numbers.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Those underlying numbers aren't worth of crap. Of course somebody who hasn't actually seen many games last season could fall for those numbers.

If you are referring to me I haven't missed a Jet game in 5 years. Also a ST holder. I'm actually pretty high on Armia and probably supported him more than most early on. But for some reason Dano gets grossly undervalued around here considering what he produced in a short time. Burmi also did almost a complete 180 once they started playing together. For me it is not a dislike for Armia, just more where I see players slotting into the roster.

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
If you are referring to me I haven't missed a Jet game in 5 years. Also a ST holder. I'm actually pretty high on Armia and probably supported him more than most early on. But for some reason Dano gets grossly undervalued around here considering what he produced in a short time. Burmi also did almost a complete 180 once they started playing together. For me it is not a dislike for Armia, just more where I see players slotting into the roster.

I know what the numbers are saying but I do not see what others are seeing in Dano.He seems like an opportunistic player that has a good nose for the net.If he is able to get in better shape and become quicker this will allow him to become more tenacious because all I have seen from him so far is a guy that from day one has played with decent players in the jets line up and has found the net on occasion but has done absolutely nothing else.Again he is young and the fact that he gets those dirty goals is a huge quality but he really needs to round out his game.I think Armia is the complete opposite of where Dano is at his overall game is pretty complete he needs to regain his scoring touch.I think they are pretty equal at this point but I think Armia's game fits the jets needs in the top 9 more than Dano's game does.I would like to see a chart showing the underlying numbers for Dano and Armia both in Columbus and with the jets and I would like to see the numbers in relation to quality of line mates.

Last edited:

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011

I know what the numbers are saying but I do not see what others are seeing in Dano.He seems like an opportunistic player that has a good nose for the net.If he is able to get in better shape and become quicker this will allow him to become more tenacious because all I have seen from him so far is a guy that from day one has played with decent players in the jets line up and has found the net on occasion but has done absolutely nothing else.Again he is young and the fact that he gets those dirty goals is a huge quality but he really needs to round out his game.I think Armia is the complete opposite of where Dano is at his overall game is pretty complete he needs to regain his scoring touch.I think they are pretty equal at this point but I think Armia's game fits the jets needs in the top 9 more than Dano's game does.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg

I trust those numbers a lot more than I trust your eyes. I also saw nearly every game last year. Dano is a player plain and simple. He might not look the way you'd want him too when he plays but he gets the job done.

It basically comes down to whether or not you want to outscore your opponents. Dano will help you do that.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I trust those numbers a lot more than I trust your eyes. I also saw nearly every game last year. Dano is a player plain and simple. He might not look the way you'd want him too when he plays but he gets the job done.

It basically comes down to whether or not you want to outscore your opponents. Dano will help you do that.

I'll take awkward and effective over graceful and ineffective any day. Note that I'm not talking about Armia here, just Dano - I do think we'll see Armia follow through with the promise he showed last year, or at least I hope we do. Tantalizing glimpses of what he could be last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $25.00