News Article: The Score labels Armia a Bust - WTH??

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Thinking about Armia some more.

At Development camp last summer he was truly a man amongst boys and was clearly one of the best on the ice.
At training camp and pre season he was disappointing and got off to a bad / slow start.
When he got called up half way through the season ... Maurice used him sparingly being a healthy scratch and just practising with the team for 9 days on his first call up.
Then he was used in 4 th line duty not getting much offence opportunities.
Finally he got to get to play with some offensive players and he had some very good games with some flashes were he drove some of the offence.

From the Kane trade.... I see our biggest value being;

1 Lemieux
2) Roslovic ( hopefully)
3) Armia
4( Stafford 2014 playoff push

Armia has to get off to a good start this year and avoid the slow start he had last year.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
From the Kane trade.... I see our biggest value being;

1 Lemieux
2) Roslovic ( hopefully)
3) Armia
4( Stafford 2014 playoff push

Armia has to get off to a good start this year and avoid the slow start he had last year.

Aren't we forgetting somebody? ;)

Personally, the biggest value from the Kane trade was not having Kane.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
A look back at the 2011 NHL Draft: Gaudreau may be best in class http://www.thescore.com/news/1046511

Just read this random article about the 2011 draft class, and right near the end they have a 1st round bust section and Lo and behold, Joel Armia.

Now, I'm a Leaf fan first and foremost, but as a Jets season ticket holder I see a lot of this team, and living in Winnipeg I have to listen to a lot more Jets coverage than I'd like, but to the point, this is absolutely insane!

Joel Armia is going to be a very good NHLer and clearly the article missed the boat. He's just been a slower development prospect, but he has kittens for mittens, and some wheels to boot.

I couldn't help but look for consenting opinion.

Armia is a great prospect.

Says you. He's shown star talent but hasn't put it out there consistently yet. He could very easily fall off the map.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Here we go again :shakehead

Reports of Armia as a bust are both premature and baseless.

Of all Finnish NHL forwards born after 1970 (i.e., in the modern NHL era) who have scored more than 300 NHL points:
-There are only 10 in number
-The median age at which they broke out (i.e., scored more than 40 points) was 23
-Their average breakout age was 23. 4 (roughly)
-The age range was 20-28

Armia turned 23 in May

Hold your horses. He is right on track.

Last edited:

DK59

Nov 18, 2012
Hate to say it, but his mentality and pace is just... not there.

Was a good piece in the Evander Kane trade though.

When he was playing well and engaged in the game there was nothing wrong with his pace and mentality. He had significant stretches where he played this way and during those stretches he was quite effective in both ends of the ice. But there were also stretches where he was not engaged in the game and he was noticeable in a not so good way. Last year was a transitional year for him where I think he was starting to embrace the style of play that he needs to employ to be effective at the NHL level but I think he was guilty of falling back into old habits at times. Clearly he needs to overcome this.

My take on Armia is that he needs to work on bringing a more consistent level of effort and focus and by doing this he can be a very effective bottom six player. Time will also tell whether he can begin to translate his skill level which is well above average into more production. If he does he has the potential to be a player who you can move throughout your lineup (when it is required) because he seems to have the ability to compliment other players quite well and that includes more highly skilled players.

Last edited:

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011
Is he going to be a 30/30 guy? Probably not....I could see 20/20 though.

Is he an NHL player? Yes.

I could see 40/40 potential. He's a late bloomer, but the sky is the limit for Armia. His talent level is off the charts.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Armia a bust? Hardly in my opinion, I'm not sure the AHL was the right league for him to develop in and I have a hard time judging him based on his time with the sabers organization.

The sabers were actively trying to keep decent players off their NHL roster when they tanked hard. I believe if Armia had been allowed to play that season in the NHL he would have made more progress.

He never really impressed me at the moose games. The AHL is still a bit of a clutch and grab and iron man league. Not sure that plays to Armia's strengths. When he was with the big club though his game seemed to look quite a bit better.

I still have high hopes for him and truthfully I think the Jets are going to need guys like him, Dano, Lowry and Copp coming of their first contracts and not requiring huge some of money on their second contracts to produce at some point.

I hate to say it but we will be facing a stark reality in 4 years. The Jets even if they spend to the cap won't be able to retain all of Schiefele, Trouba, Buff, Wheeler, Little, Laine, Connor, Ehlers, JoMo, Connor, Petan, Hellebyuck, Comrie..... ect.

Simply put... some of our post 1st rounders will have to step in and produce in the top 9 and top 4 one day in the not too distant future and I believe Armia can be one of them.

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011
Armia a bust? Hardly in my opinion, I'm not sure the AHL was the right league for him to develop in and I have a hard time judging him based on his time with the Sabres organization.

The Sabres were actively trying to keep decent players off their NHL roster when they tanked hard. I believe if Armia had been allowed to play that season in the NHL he would have made more progress.

He never really impressed me at the moose games. The AHL is still a bit of a clutch and grab and iron man league. Not sure that plays to Armia's strengths. When he was with the big club though his game seemed to look quite a bit better.

I still have high hopes for him and truthfully I think the Jets are going to need guys like him, Dano, Lowry and Copp coming of their first contracts and not requiring huge some of money on their second contracts to produce at some point.

I hate to say it but we will be facing a stark reality in 4 years. The Jets even if they spend to the cap won't be able to retain all of Schiefele, Trouba, Buff, Wheeler, Little, Laine, Connor, Ehlers, JoMo, Connor, Petan, Hellebyuck, Comrie..... ect.

Simply put... some of our post 1st rounders will have to step in and produce in the top 9 and top 4 one day in the not too distant future and I believe Armia can be one of them.
I'm fully expecting that this will be the last contract with the Jets for Little and Wheeler. I'm okay with that.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
I'm fully expecting that this will be the last contract with the Jets for Little and Wheeler. I'm okay with that.

I doubt it myself. I Think Wheeler will retire a jet and truthfully Im not sure we have a number 2 center in our pipeline which would necessitate keeping Little.

I think the truth of the matter is we will loose one of our first rounders after their ELC or bridge deal and my money is on Connor or Petan (even though he wasn't a 1st rounder he probably should have been)

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011
I doubt it myself. I Think Wheeler will retire a jet and truthfully Im not sure we have a number 2 center in our pipeline which would necessitate keeping Little.

I think the truth of the matter is we will loose one of our first rounders after their ELC or bridge deal and my money is on Connor or Petan (even though he wasn't a 1st rounder he probably should have been)

So you'd keep Little/Wheeler over Connor? Sure am glad you aren't the Jets GM.

ellismate

Jun 9, 2015
SK
He definitely took some time to find his place on the Jets but then we found out he pretty much can't speak English and it made sense why a transition would be tough.

The biggest thing I've noticed is that he can't carry a line by himself, but he looks great when he's surrounded by talent. He looked great when he was playing with Ladd or petan on the opposite wing as him, and he's shown huge potential in his 2 way game. He has great hands with the puck and for stripping the puck and is really strong with holding it.

I think he would look like a great player if he were a winger for little or scheif but unfortunately he hasn't earned that and will have a tough time given our winger situation. It's hard to expect anything from the player matched up with Lowry and burmi since no one has been able to look good with those 2

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I don't think it comes down to Little/Wheeler or Connor...

I mean really, Pav,Stuart, Stafford,Thorburn,Peluso lol, and others contracts will be off the books, the cap WILL go up eventually, those guys right there, that's how much? almost 20 million in cap space... That should be more than enough for Connor Little and Wheeler combined... I mean, you seem to have unrealistic expectations for Connor, Maybe let the Kid play a PRO game before you compare him to 2 established stars in Little and Wheeler.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
I could see 40/40 potential. He's a late bloomer, but the sky is the limit for Armia. His talent level is off the charts.

40 g 40 a ?
so top 3 in goals this year and top 5 in points?

Glad you have realistic expectations...

i wouldn't call him a bust but I wasn't as enamored with his play last year as many here were. This year is probably make or break for him, and if I were betting it wouldn't be on make. Hope to be wrong though.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
So you'd keep Little/Wheeler over Connor? Sure am glad you aren't the Jets GM.

Yes I'd keep Wheeler over Connor.

How well did it work out for Edmonton signing all their number 1 picks and having no veteran presence to lead them? Odds are you'll get Wheeler and/or Little for cheaper than Connor on their next deals if Connor lights it up... the league is moving to higher AAV for young players.

Look at Chicago... they have to move good young players out of necessity.

If you think you would be able to keep all of Scheif, Trouba, JoMo, Ehlers, Connor, Laine, Petan, Hellebyuck, Comrie, Lemieux.... past their ELC's and a 1 or 2 year bridge deal at most and stay under the cap you SHOULD be the Jets GM.

And pass me whatever you're smoking. We Jets fans should start to realize that we won't be able to keep all these high end prospects forever.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
The fact is most of those guys won't hit their ceilings and all become first line players. Some will just be 4th line or 3rd line guys and get payed accordingly 1-2 mill a year. They can't all become 50 + pt a year players, if they do then the Jets will have a dynasty lol

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
I don't want to drag this thread way OT. My point was players like him will be crucial in a few years time to fill out the bottom 6 and won't be a liability if they have to move to the top 6. Armia I believe can be this type of player.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I like Armia but i feel on this team, he's probably a good bottom 6 player ... so third line, I don't ever see him being more than that on this team, He's solid in his own end, but points were an issue for him, Yeah he wowed at times but he was invisible at other teams.. he's still figuring it out, and in my opinion, best case scenario is he can fill in on the 2nd line in case of injury but the more realistic scenario i feel is he's a good 3rd line winger.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Here we go again :shakehead

Reports of Armia as a bust are both premature and baseless.

Of all Finnish NHL forwards born after 1970 (i.e., in the modern NHL era) who have scored more than 300 NHL points:
-There are only 10 in number
-The median age at which they broke out (i.e., scored more than 40 points) was 23
-Their average breakout age was 23. 4 (roughly)
-The age range was 20-28

Armia turned 23 in May

Hold your horses. He is right on track.

Well, if that holds true, sounds like Laine may have a better shot at the Calder Cup than the Calder Trophy. ;)

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
A little too soon to label him a bust, I think this year will be a good indicator of what Armia can become.

Agree - I think we'll have a much better indication of the type of player he's going to be this year. He showed glimpses of what he could be, now he has to follow through with that.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Calling Armia a bust at this point is ridiculous. He appears to be on track to become a decent bottom 6 player with some staying power, which is hardly a "bust" outcome for the #16 pick.

All that said, his window to break out offensively is slowly starting to close. I'd agree with posters here that 2016-17 will likely be a defining year for Armia in terms of reaching his offensive potential.

I wouldn't bet any money on him becoming an NHL player that cracks 40 points consistently, but I'm fine with that. Armia does many things well beyond scoring.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
A little too soon to label him a bust, I think this year will be a good indicator of what Armia can become.

Agree but I would put it more strongly than that. This is make or break time for Armia. The good thing now is that break means career 4th liner instead of career in Liiga.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00