News Article: The Score labels Armia a Bust - WTH??

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I (personally) have absolutely zero expectation that Armia will break out offensively next year or at any point. My feeling is that we're never going to see anything from Armia that suggests scoring line capability; in large because he's shown nothing of the sort to date, other than the occasional highlight reel dangle or pretty snipe.

Would of course be happy to be wrong. Furthermore, Armia showed enough last year that I don't think he needs to be a goal scorer in the NHL to be a worthwhile roster piece.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Part of the reason for the soft wording is that I (personally) have absolutely zero expectation that Armia will break out offensively next year or at any point. My feeling is that we're never going to see anything from Armia that suggests scoring line capability; in large because he's shown nothing of the sort to date, other than the occasional highlight reel dangle or pretty snipe.

Would of course be happy to be wrong. Furthermore, Armia showed enough last year that I don't think he needs to be a goal scorer in the NHL to be a worthwhile roster piece.

I would be more than happy with a 4th line winger who scores 25(ish) pts/yr, kills penalties WELL and can move up to 3rd or even 2nd line for a short spell of injury relief. That's what Armia looks like to me so far. If he starts turning on that offence more consistently that will just be a bonus.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I would be more than happy with a 4th line winger who scores 25(ish) pts/yr, kills penalties WELL and can move up to 3rd or even 2nd line for a short spell of injury relief. That's what Armia looks like to me so far. If he starts turning on that offence more consistently that will just be a bonus.

4th line players don't score 25 points anymore - they usually score 10-15. 20-35 points is okay 3rd line production in today's NHL.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca

Yeah I wouldn't mind seeing him on the fourth line. Like my other post said he looks lik ehe could be a start some days, and an AHL regular other days.

johna2626

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta
Great prospect? Not so much, but willing to give him this next season to prove himself still. I still doubt he become anything worth his draft position, but he might become a useful 4th liner still......if all the moons align he might become a 3rd liner. Fingers crossed.

He's got more skill than just a fourth liner. Really wish he could move up and play with some better linemates.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I am thinking the traditional 4th line is going to be passe soon. Young speed and skill will be important. I like...

Petan-Copp-Armia

or

Petan-Burmi-Armia

For the 4th line.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'm hoping Laine helps light a fire under Armia, who really impressed me last season. I think we too often forget how important linemates are to production. Armia was good with good linemates. Ehlers didn't produce with Thorbs, etc.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Drafted in the first round ... not a top 6 player ... traded once already ... some would say that's a bust.
Now if he was drafted in the 4th or later rounds it would be a steal.

Fun fact! If your drafted after 12th ova historically you have a 45% chance or less of being a top six player.

The first round isn't as safe or as good as fans like to think it is

From fifteen to 22 it's about 30-45%

From 22 on its closer to 25%

Fan expectation is pretty far out of line for the back half if the first round when compared to reality

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
4th line players don't score 25 points anymore - they usually score 10-15. 20-35 points is okay 3rd line production in today's NHL.

So 25 pts would be cause for happiness. :) A good 4th line might get the TOI to score more than 10-15. There is also the time spent higher up due to injury. So how about 20 pts then?

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

Very true. I think the realistic vision for Armia is that he's ostensibly a fourth liner, but one that can be moved up a line or two when the need arises. Sort of like a Thorburn that doesn't suck at hockey.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm hoping Laine helps light a fire under Armia, who really impressed me last season. I think we too often forget how important linemates are to production. Armia was good with good linemates. Ehlers didn't produce with Thorbs, etc.

True. Too easily forgotten or ignored but Armia needs to light his own fire more consistently.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
True. Too easily forgotten or ignored but Armia needs to light his own fire more consistently.

Agree, though I thought Armia's effort and intensity was good and consistent in his 40 odd games last year with the Jets. He didn't take many shifts off at all.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Agree, though I thought Armia's effort and intensity was good and consistent in his 40 odd games last year with the Jets. He didn't take many shifts off at all.

It wasn't as bad as taking a shift off but that little extra that puts the puck in the net was missing too often. Maybe it was more linemates than it was him. I hope he makes the decision very hard at TC. :)

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Pick No. 16... Average outcome somewhere between very good AHLer and fringe NHLer. 60% of players expected to play more than 100 matches in NHL.

People need to take a look at their expectations.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Rather see Petan on the third line.

Copp - Lowry - Armia/Burmi is what i"d like to see.

Petan instead of Perreault or Connor on the 3rd line?

Laine-Scheifele-Ehlers
Connor-Little-Wheeler
Perreault-Burmi-Dano
Petan-Copp/Lowry-Armia

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I'm thinking Armia will progress...

Because he has the skill to do so...

Is effective defensively...