News Article: The Score labels Armia a Bust - WTH??

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
A look back at the 2011 NHL Draft: Gaudreau may be best in class http://www.thescore.com/news/1046511

Just read this random article about the 2011 draft class, and right near the end they have a 1st round bust section and Lo and behold, Joel Armia.

Now, I'm a Leaf fan first and foremost, but as a Jets season ticket holder I see a lot of this team, and living in Winnipeg I have to listen to a lot more Jets coverage than I'd like, but to the point, this is absolutely insane!

Joel Armia is going to be a very good NHLer and clearly the article missed the boat. He's just been a slower development prospect, but he has kittens for mittens, and some wheels to boot.

I couldn't help but look for consenting opinion.

Armia is a great prospect.

Last edited by a moderator:

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I saw that as well - seems odd to label him a bust already although he is definitely a tier below some of the other guys

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
Is he going to be a 30/30 guy? Probably not....I could see 20/20 though.

Is he an NHL player? Yes.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Whoever wrote the article likely didn't see any of Armia's play for the Jets.

He's underachieved for his draft placement(at least in the eyes of the average fan) but he's just started his NHL career. If he bombs next year i'd be inclined to agree he's looking like one.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
A look back at the 2011 NHL Draft: Gaudreau may be best in class [url:"http://www.thescore.com/news/1046511"] (via http://thesco.re/theScore_App)[/url]

Just read this random article about the 2011 draft class, and right near the end they have a 1st round bust section and Lo and behold, Joel Armia.

Now, I'm a Leaf fan first and foremost, but as a Jets season ticket holder I see a lot of this team, and living in Winnipeg I have to listen to a lot more Jets coverage than I'd like, but to the point, this is absolutely insane!

Joel Armia is going to be a very good NHLer and clearly the article missed the boat. He's just been a slower development prospect, but he has kittens for mittens, and some wheels to boot.

I couldn't help but look for consenting opinion.

Armia is a great prospect.

Great prospect? Not so much, but willing to give him this next season to prove himself still. I still doubt he become anything worth his draft position, but he might become a useful 4th liner still......if all the moons align he might become a 3rd liner. Fingers crossed.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Pretty decent article, until he proves otherwise the article is correct!

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Passable 4th line defensive guy, but a bust relative to where he was drafted, for sure. And that's pretty much established at this point. Sorry, Jets fans.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
He isn't a bust, but I don't see really see the future star thing at this point. He definitely has skill though.

I did a hockey reference filter over the last 15 years. This lists all rookie season at age 22 or 23 for players who scored between 5 and 25 points. Not many stars on this list. Some good players though. Sharp, Hudler, Filppula, Purcell, Koivu, Perreault. Lots of nobodies too though.

Skiffer55

Logan Stanley's Cup
Jun 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Passable 4th line defensive guy, but a bust relative to where he was drafted, for sure. And that's pretty much established at this point. Sorry, Jets fans.

Thanks for chiming in fella.

Yeah, gotta give him this season at least. Then we'll likely have a better idea of what he is. I do like parts of his game quite a bit. Having a Finn will help Laine at least :nod:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If he turns out to be one of the best 4th line Ws in the league is he a bust?

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
People are way too quick to judgement. Assuming one actually watched his games last season, they should be optimistic he'll be a solid NHLer even if it's just in a bottom 6 capacity.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
He's disappointment if you guys remember what kind of hype Armia received back in 2011.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
He's disappointment if you guys remember what kind of hype Armia received back in 2011.

To those who hyped him, he probably is a disappointment. To those who got him as a free toss-in on a trade we had to make, we're pretty happy to have the solid bottom 6 guy he appears to have become. If he ever does better than that, it's a bonus on top of a bonus.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
Its a throwaway article that the guy probably wrote in 30 minutes after going to the 2011 draft page on ihdb.

Don't make threads and give the guy clicks for something so lazy.

If he turns out to be one of the best 4th line Ws in the league is he a bust?

Would Morrissey be a bust if he ends up an above average 3rd pairing defenceman?

Connor a bust if he turns out to be one of the best 4th line wings?

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Drafted in the first round ... not a top 6 player ... traded once already ... some would say that's a bust.
Now if he was drafted in the 4th or later rounds it would be a steal.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Meh, the Score does terrible analysis.
This is a big year for Armia though.

They perform far below conventional analysis, allowing literally any ill-informed contributor on any topic to set the bar.

Sorry, exist is to learn, not to be fed nonsense. Don't let idiots write on your behalf.

Anyways, the Score recently sucks in Jets analysis...good MAINSTREAM is coming, including Armia

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'd put Armia somewhere in between a bust and a serviceable player at this point in his career. He has demonstrated some high end skills at times but the underlying numbers are far from impressive. IMO he has done enough to be offered a 2 year contract coming off his ELC. With any luck he settles into a bottom 6 role with decent offense.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
At 1st I was all
L2xQ3f2.gif

Then I was like

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Mixed bag of reviews in this thread on Armia.

The big question is what is his next contract worth?
-I say a qualifying offer of 1 year one way at about 850k.
- outside chance of a 2 year 1.9 mill total contract if the Jets have good faith in him and want to double down.

I guess we will just wait and find out how this plays out in the next 3 weeks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad