The San Jose first?

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
San Jose only has a couple years of contending. Maybe they finally pull a Washington, but I feel like they are much closer to a rebuild than a cup.

If I was Karlsson, I would take less money and sign with the Lightning in the offseason.

Reactions: Alex1234

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
San Jose only has a couple years of contending. Maybe they finally pull a Washington, but I feel like they are much closer to a rebuild than a cup.

If I was Karlsson, I would take less money and sign with the Lightning in the offseason.
he was willing to re-sign here. I think he's looking for spot he and his wife like. And he'll have a committed owner there.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
After the trade deadline

technically the only team he can sign an 8 year extension with, is the team he was on the roster of, on this years (last Feb) TDL.

If he's still a Shark after next years TDL, then only SJ can sign him to an 8 year extension.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
technically the only team he can sign an 8 year extension with, is the team he was on the roster of, on this years (last Feb) TDL.

Which right now is Ottawa, so I suppose if we trade for him we can then extend him for 8 years. After the trade deadline this year, whatever team he is on, be it still SJ or some other team he was traded to, will presumably have him on their reserve list, so he'll meet the requirement. The only way he can't sign a 8 year extension after the trade deadline is if he is traded after the deadline (for example in the offseason because SJ thinks he's going to walk), or waits till 1 Jul to become a free agent.

Last edited:

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
There's a lot to be negative about with the Karlsson trade, but one of the positives that Dorion deserves credit for is identifying a team that not only was unable to protect their pick, but would give the Senators two straight opportunities to be given a lottery pick. No other team could offer the Senators two straight shots at an unprotected pick. The Sharks offered that to us as a consequence of the previous trade with Buffalo.

With that said, they are in a comfortable playoff spot right now. It might only be a six point lead, but six points is a huge gap this far into the season. The odds of the Sharks missing this year seem low. There's always a chance they could miss next season regardless of whether or not they sign Karlsson. It's that kind of league. Tampa missed a few years back and they are a power house. If San Jose fails to sign Karlsson, it increases the odds of them missing next year.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think the ship has sailed on EK in Ottawa, I doubt they would ever look to re-sign him here. I'd also be surprised if SJ re-signs him to the mega contract he wants, it wouldn't surprise me if he is offered something similar to what Ottawa offered but with a full no movement clause. Brent Burns who has 9 more pts will be making $8 mil for yrs to come, I don't see why they would pay EK more than Burns when Burns has done so much more for them over the yrs. Should be interesting.

Reactions: Samboni

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think the ship has sailed on EK in Ottawa, I doubt they would ever look to re-sign him here. I'd also be surprised if SJ re-signs him to the mega contract he wants, it wouldn't surprise me if he is offered something similar to what Ottawa offered but with a full no movement clause. Brent Burns who has 9 more pts will be making $8 mil for yrs to come, I don't see why they would pay EK more than Burns when Burns has done so much more for them over the yrs. Should be interesting.

Karlsson is 5 years younger, and while he took time to adapt to the SJ system, he's got 19 pts in his last 19 games (compared to 14 in 19 for Burns) and is setting in quite nicely. I wouldn't be so sure that Burns will continue to have that 9 point lead by season's end, it's been closing quickly.

I think if SJ had the choice, they'd pay Karlsson more and find a way to either make it work, or ship off Burns before his statistically likely age related decline.

Reactions: Cosmix

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
IMO, unless EK has a Norris trophy season, I don’t think he will get as much on his next contract as he, and his ardent fans, believe he will. I think his stock had taken a hit. Mind you, there are plenty of teams that have a habit of over-paying e.g NYR, LAK yo name a few.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
There's also the thought that Erik might be able to wrangle out the extra dollars via lower taxes in the US and better endorsement deals. If he stays in Cali, he could definitely hook up with some powerhouse marketing in Hollywood. He has the looks and charisma for it. So it might not be all about the NHL contract itself.

Reactions: Cosmix

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

Apple and oranges.

Brent Burns' cap hit is lower because he signed a contract that takes him into his late 30's. If EK was Burns age, the Sharks would not have to pay EK 11 million.

The Tyler Bozak UFA contract index dictates that Karlsson should have a multitude of suitors at 11M per season if he hits the open market.

Reactions: DJB

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I think if SJ had the choice, they'd pay Karlsson more and find a way to either make it work, or ship off Burns before his statistically likely age related decline.

BB is turning 34 yrs old, this coming March, and still has 6 more seasons @ an AAV of$8 Million, remaining on his contract.

He also has a MNTC that gives him all the power (Player submits a 3 team trade list every year on July 1 starting in 2017 & in each year for the duration of the contract) on whether he says or goes.

It's pretty much an un-tradeable contract, and if BB wants to remain a Shark, he simply has to select the three teams, each year, that he'd be impossible to be traded to.

Also, given his age, and AAV, I doubt there's be too many GMs that would be interested in him, unless they're trying to reach the cap floor .......... but what are the odds they'd also be on his "list"?

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
So it is looking like Sharks will be sending their pick to BUFF this year which is good because we dont need them having another shot at a lottery pick and if stars align the Sens may have 2 cracks (at least depending on what happens with our FA and potential trades) at lottery picks next season and Lafreniere.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
BB is turning 34 yrs old, this coming March, and still has 6 more seasons @ an AAV of$8 Million, remaining on his contract.

He also has a MNTC that gives him all the power (Player submits a 3 team trade list every year on July 1 starting in 2017 & in each year for the duration of the contract) on whether he says or goes.

It's pretty much an un-tradeable contract, and if BB wants to remain a Shark, he simply has to select the three teams, each year, that he'd be impossible to be traded to.

Also, given his age, and AAV, I doubt there's be too many GMs that would be interested in him, unless they're trying to reach the cap floor .......... but what are the odds they'd also be on his "list"?

You seem to have missed the conjunction "if" in my post. So "if" Burns is open to being traded, or "if" they can fit both into their salary structure, they would do so. I'm well aware of the difficulties involve in both options, which is why I used the word "if". It makes sense, given that I was responding to the question of "why would SJ pay Karlsson more than Burns", with the logical answer being because he is the more desirable asset between them.

Reactions: Alex1234

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
So it is looking like Sharks will be sending their pick to BUFF this year which is good because we dont need them having another shot at a lottery pick and if stars align the Sens may have 2 cracks (at least depending on what happens with our FA and potential trades) at lottery picks next season and Lafreniere.

Two low probability cracks.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016

You would be wrong... The farm system is loaded... and they find nobodies better then most

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
You would be wrong... The farm system is loaded... and they find nobodies better then most

That's not entirely true. Pronman had them at 17th best prospect pool, and they've since lost their #3 and #4 prospects in Norris and Balcers which would drop them significantly. The only decent prospects they have are Chmelevski and Merkley. Pronman also had them at 25th in terms of U23 talent. Couple that with no 1st for 2 years (3 years if the go to the finals and re-sign Karlsson). The future doesn't look amazing.

That being said, that's perfectly okay for them too because they're going all in on this year and they've got a pretty good shot at doing some damage in the play-offs. But with the age of that core if they don't age gracefully, they could be looking ugly by the end of 2020.

Edit: Ah, I totally forgot that Perron is tearing it up. That was a dumb throw-in in that trade

Last edited:

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
That's not entirely true. Pronman had them at 17th best prospect pool, and they've since lost their #3 and #4 prospects in Norris and Balcers which would drop them significantly. The only decent prospects they have are Chmelevski and Merkley. Pronman also had them at 25th in terms of U23 talent. Couple that with no 1st for 2 years (3 years if the go to the finals and re-sign Karlsson). The future doesn't look amazing.

That being said, that's perfectly okay for them too because they're going all in on this year and they've got a pretty good shot at doing some damage in the play-offs. But with the age of that core if they don't age gracefully, they could be looking ugly by the end of 2020.

Edit: Ah, I totally forgot that Perron is tearing it up. That was a dumb throw-in in that trade

There entire AHL team is crushing it with 20-22 year olds
They have a 20 year old undrafted rookie in net whose 12-1-1 with a .926sv%

Rankings are silly... the farm system is loaded

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Any chance the sharks will make it to the finals, sign karl and somehow weasel out of the first they're supposed to owe us?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Karlsson is way better and quite a bit younger.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Any chance the sharks will make it to the finals, sign karl and somehow weasel out of the first they're supposed to owe us?
I suppose they could sign him after Jul 1st and argue that isn't re-signing him as he officially became a UFA without a team.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Probably paranoid to worry about it...but I somehow dont put it past them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad