The San Jose first?

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I realize it's a long shot, but what do you think the odds are that the sharks tank this year, miss the playoffs and this pick turns into something solid for us?

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
I think it’s possible, but not super likely. Pacific division isn’t very good this year. Would be sweet though.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
From Ottawa's perspective, I'd rather the pick be next year.

If they do miss the playoffs, it'll be by a couple of points, which means it'll likely be outside of the top 10.

Next year, however, things could theoretically go downhill quickly:

• Karlsson leaves as a UFA
• Thornton retires
• Pavelski (also a UFA), Burns, Vlasic another year older

There's really no one in the pipeline for the Sharks, so it could be a sudden drop, in which case, we'd have a shot at a top 10 pick. Could turn into an LA Kings scenario pretty fast.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I realize it's a long shot, but what do you think the odds are that the sharks tank this year, miss the playoffs and this pick turns into something solid for us?

Or trade him and the best offer is from the east.... do they take the better offer and give us another 1st? Or take less....

I don’t envy SJ if they flame out in any way if EK doesn’t extend.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
There's definitely a chance the pick turns out to be a good pick. It could be around the 15-20th mark this year where the Sens have had success with, and it could be a higher pick next year. Dorion did well structuring the conditions on the 1st he got back in the trade

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008

If they do miss the playoffs, it'll be by a couple of points, which means it'll likely be outside of the top 10.

• Thornton retires

There's really no one in the pipeline for the Sharks, so it could be a sudden drop, in which case, we'd have a shot at a top 10 pick. Could turn into an LA Kings scenario pretty fast.

I agree in general, but I'm not sure that I agree with the bolded part. An injury or two would push them down quite a bit. What would suck is if they just miss this year and then win the lottery in 2020.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
There's definitely a chance the pick turns out to be a good pick. It could be around the 15-20th mark this year where the Sens have had success with, and it could be a higher pick next year. Dorion did well structuring the conditions on the 1st he got back in the trade
That would be the 2020 pick right? We only get the 2019 if they miss the playoffs this year.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
That would be the 2020 pick right? We only get the 2019 if they miss the playoffs this year.
Wait sorry i think i got that wrong. I believe if San Jose misses the playoffs this year, Ottawa gets their pick. If they make the playoffs this year, Ottawa gets their pick next year. Is that right?

Sentron5000

Mar 24, 2010
Wait sorry i think i got that wrong. I believe if San Jose misses the playoffs this year, Ottawa gets their pick. If they make the playoffs this year, Ottawa gets their pick next year. Is that right?

They only get the 2021 first if Karlsson resigns and they make the finals this year. So pretty unlikely.

Last edited:

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

• Thornton retires

Spot on.

We want San Jose to squeak in this season, which looks very likely considering how bad their division is.

But yeah, next year, we might be in the same shoes as Colorado is this season, except San Jose doesn't have the youth we have.

Reactions: derriko

HF Reader

Jan 20, 2018
I believe Buffalo has a SJ protected pick this year, and therefore get the SJ pick if SJ makes the playoffs. Don't be shy to correct me if I'm wrong.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I believe Buffalo has a SJ protected pick this year, and therefore get the SJ pick if SJ makes the playoffs. Don't be shy to correct me if I'm wrong.
Yeah, I think if they miss it's San Jose's choice who to give the pick to, but neither team has lottery protection on the 2020 pick. Again, don't quote me either.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
If Karlsson is traded to an eastern conference team this year do we get a 2020 1st round pick or 2021 or what year?

So if the shark miss the playoffs we get their first this year and if they do then there is a decent chance they trade Karlsson. So could we get their 2019 and 2020 first round pick in that scenario?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

The Sharks made sure the pick they gave Buffalo for Kane was "lottery protected". It was a wise move at the time, but it meant that when it came time to pony up assets for Karlsson, they had to work around that condition.

Since they essentially committed to putting a condition on their next two first round pick, they had to give us the other side of that condition.

The Sharks don't own either of their next two 1st round picks. We get one, Buffalo gets the other. If the Sharks make the playoffs this year, Buffalo gets the 2019 pick, and we get the 2020 pick. If they miss the playoffs this year, we get the 2019 pick and the Sabres get the 2020 one.

Reactions: Sun God Nika

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
The Sharks made sure the pick they gave Buffalo for Kane was "lottery protected". It was a wise move at the time, but it meant that when it came time to pony up assets for Karlsson, they had to work around that condition.

Since they essentially committed to putting a condition on their next two first round pick, they had to give us the other side of that condition.

The Sharks don't own either of their next two 1st round picks. We get one, Buffalo gets the other. If the Sharks make the playoffs this year, Buffalo gets the 2019 pick, and we get the 2020 pick. If they miss the playoffs this year, we get the 2019 pick and the Sabres get the 2020 one.
If they trade him in the east do we get their 2021 first as well?

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Sharks are gonna turn it around, make the playoffs, go to the finals, lose, re-sign Karlsson, and then finish bottom 5 in 2020 and 2021.

This is what I believe.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018

Hypothetical situation, would you rather see the Sharks sneak into the playoffs this year, leaving us with next years pick which could be a good one. Or would you rather see them just miss the playoffs this year, leaving Ottawa with a lottery pick but a low one?

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008

I think they still have the option to give the 2019 pick to buffalo if they miss the playoffs and give us whatever the 2020 falls to. Crazy that, if SJ tanks this year, they could theoretically play us off buffalo using that leverage. Imagine if they win the lottery and get to unanimously choose whether Ottawa or Buffalo get Jack Hughes? That could get very interesting and shady.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Hypothetical situation, would you rather see the Sharks sneak into the playoffs this year, leaving us with next years pick which could be a good one. Or would you rather see them just miss the playoffs this year, leaving Ottawa with a lottery pick but a low one?

Lottery pick this year.

I don't think the Sharks are as bad as they've been playing. Them missing the playoffs this season would just be a perfect storm for us of everything going wrong for them this season. I don't think that will happen next year. If they miss the playoffs this season, it'll be just barely. Like... 13th-15th overall pick range. That's honestly probably a realistic best-case scenario for us - I don't expect the pick to get any better the following year.

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Wow SJ are out of playoffs as of right now. I thought they were comfortably in with that Pacific division.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad