Salary Cap: The Salary Cap Thread | Countdown to Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Has anyone on this board honestly seen Zaripov play? Im not sure why we'd want a 36 year old that's never played a game in the NHL as a second line center simply because he's Russian. If this was some AHL player from North America, no one would have any interest.

Hard pass for me.

1. He's a LW'er.
2. He's produced very good numbers in the KHL.
3. He is 36yrs old, but with the games they play, he probably has more in his tank than an NHL'er that is 36yrs old that is more battle worn.
4. IF and major IF he is signed, it'll be because Malkin has championed him and the team has come to an agreement with a deal that works for both sides.

Pens are not desperate for wingers.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Has anyone on this board honestly seen Zaripov play? Im not sure why we'd want a 36 year old that's never played a game in the NHL as a second line center simply because he's Russian. If this was some AHL player from North America, no one would have any interest.

Hard pass for me.

Paying a mil or so for a player that can potentially fill in Kunitz's role last year and actually produce is nice. Ultimately if we can I'd rather have our LW depth be, Jake - LW2 - Hagelin - Wilson

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Paying a mil or so for a player that can potentially fill in Kunitz's role last year and actually produce is nice. Ultimately if we can I'd rather have our LW depth be, Jake - LW2 - Hagelin - Wilson

Fair enough

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

My hope for LW2 is actually ZAR, that is, if they don't give him a shot at 3C. If we pick up a left wing, what do we do with Sheary, Rust, Horny, Kessel and Sprong on the right. Too many players, not enough openings

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Hard pass for me.

A) Have you seen him play? If not, how can you judge him, but others can't?
B) He's not a "second line center". He would be a middle 6 winger. Pretty big difference there.
C) Due to us not "needing" top 6/9 wingers, IF he does come here, it's going to be closer to our terms then his. If he doesn't pan out, you trade him, waive him or send him to the minors. Anything under 1m or 975k (I forget which) doesn't count against the cap.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
We sign Zaripov then we've got a really good winger wasting away on the 4th line. And either Wilson or Reaves aren't playing. (not gonna be Reaves). Wonder if the interest is true. Plus a million or more less to acquire a 3c.

Unless of course we move Guentzel to 3c. Which.... don't got me started.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
A) Have you seen him play? If not, how can you judge him, but others can't?
B) He's not a "second line center". He would be a middle 6 winger. Pretty big difference there.
C) Due to us not "needing" top 6/9 wingers, IF he does come here, it's going to be closer to our terms then his. If he doesn't pan out, you trade him, waive him or send him to the minors. Anything under 1m or 975k (I forget which) doesn't count against the cap.

Sorry, that was a mistype with the center. I just have no interest in a 36 year old player that's never actually played in the NHL.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
At this rate Duchene might make it to free agency while Sakic tries to deal his rights for a huge return.

Sheary, Maatta and a 3rd for the rights to talk to Duchene prior to July 1st.

Sakic still turns it down, insisting on including Guentzel and turning that 3rd into a 1st.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa

Hard pass for me.

I tend to agree but its the whole" he is only available because of the failed ped test" thing that ups his intreague... the guy had no desire to play here before he was forced to i guess...

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Sheary, Maatta and a 3rd for the rights to talk to Duchene prior to July 1st.

Sakic still turns it down, insisting on including Guentzel and turning that 3rd into a 1st.

The rumors for what may have been offered to him already are out there... when some of those guys take off big this year the heat on sakic is going to get unbearable... especially if Zaderov flees to the KHL for real...

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
My hope for LW2 is actually ZAR, that is, if they don't give him a shot at 3C. If we pick up a left wing, what do we do with Sheary, Rust, Horny, Kessel and Sprong on the right. Too many players, not enough openings

Highly doubt he gets that look. Hagelin and Rust would be 2LW before ZAR.

I tend to agree but its the whole" he is only available because of the failed ped test" thing that ups his intreague... the guy had no desire to play here before he was forced to i guess...

Won't argue with that. But if you look at it from his POV, you gotta play the hand you are dealt. If you "have" to go to the NHL, why not pick a team that gives you a chance to win the Cup? You're 36. A KHL team may not want you at 38. This could be it...of sorts.

I'd pick my best chance and give it my best. I'm not playing for a contract. No pressure.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Yea, i don't believe ZAR projects to be a top 6 top notch winger.
Hope for me, atleast, is that he's atleast a Wilson with hopefully a better scoring touch.
He's also sneaky tough. Kid can hold his own.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Sorry, that was a mistype with the center. I just have no interest in a 36 year old player that's never actually played in the NHL.

Why? What happens if he's a potential 25g/60pt winger that's going to cost us 1m on a 1 yr deal?

Short of the roster spot issue where we're potentially waiving someone, there's zero downside to signing this guy if he's cheap enough and he wants to come here. Especially as it gives us more options should we want to trade someone off the roster (aka Sheary) for a #3C.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Haha I hope if the Pens don't land him he stays in the western conference. I assume Sakic will get fleeced. I just hope it's not to columbus or the caps.
Agreed. Previously, when Sakic was asking an arm and a leg, I wouldn't have minded him going to our competition as much because it would have meant draining that team's assets. But now that the price is dropping, I definitely don't want to see that happen.

At this rate Duchene might make it to free agency while Sakic tries to deal his rights for a huge return.
:laugh: "Any deal that doesn't include Crosby's first born, is a non-starter"

Until then, he's going to play in the KHL. :naughty: :sarcasm:

BlackAndGold87

Jul 13, 2017
http://www.denverpost.com/2017/09/05/matt-duchene-absent-avalanche-practice/

Maybe he's on a flight to the greater Pittsburgh international airport? :naughty:
One can dream....

GMJR at the moment.
giphy.gif

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah the quotes from Landeskog makes it seem pretty weird there right now with Duchene, it seems like he's already checked out of the Avs and wants out at this point.

"For whatever reason..."

Yeah...if you're a close group, you say "Oh he's attending a wedding of a close friend, it's understandable." But he went with "For whatever reason..." your captain is saying that, the GM has no clue and is losing his best player from last year to the KHL in Zadorov.

Yikes.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I was about to rip the author of this article for yellow journalism (Duchene isn't even required to be in camp for another 9 days), but the quotes the Avs gave the journalist seem to be pretty alarming.

Agreed. Dude went to a wedding on Sunday and didn't show up for the first day of the optional skate. What's the big deal? Obviously, the team feels differently so uhh, things don't appear to be going well with that situation already.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Agreed. Dude went to a wedding on Sunday and didn't show up for the first day of the optional skate. What's the big deal? Obviously, the team feels differently so uhh, things don't appear to be going well with that situation already.

Its almost like treating a key player like a piece of meat and dangling him as public trade bait makes other players discontent with management...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad