Salary Cap: The Salary Cap Thread | Countdown to Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think Hags is as good as gone if we sign Zaripov. I also think that Sprong will be too good to send down. If my dream scenario, we trade Hags for a 3rd, We sign Zaripov for 2.25m and then trade Wilson/Kuhnackl+1st for AA and sign him for 3mil or just offer sheet him for that. And Sprong is too good to send down.
Guentzel-Crosby-Sheary
Zaripov-Malkin-Sprong
Rust-AA-Kessel
Reaves/Wilson-Rowney-Hornqvist

That 4th line is GARBAGE but it's whatever

I'm not so sure. We built an identity based on speed. Hagelin in 2016 (and to a smaller extent in 2017 but he was injured) was a driving force in our forecheck being more than a lot of defenses could handle. You look at the lineup we had and the speed just kept coming on all 4 lines (4th line less so but it was still a collection of really good depth players).

I haven't seen anything that suggests Zaripov has wheels. Sprong is quick but he doesn't have Rust or Hagelin speed. Kessel looked a small step slower this last run compared to 2016. So are we beginning to get away from what won us 2 cups?

In the lineup above, getting AA sure helps that but is he the 3C we need? Is he even available?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
It's not only that, he's a legitimately good player that gives the Penguins a nice amount of flexibility when making their lines. If the Penguins would get him, it would allow the Penguins to have a skilled LW opposite of Hornqvist if Hornqvist is playing with Malkin. They could open up the year with something like:

Sheary-Crosby-Rust
Zaripov-Malkin-Hornqvist
Hagelin-Guentzel-Kessel
Wilson-Rowney-Reaves

However, I don't know how they would make their lines if they added Zaripov and didn't slide Guentzel back to center or trade a winger for a center. Adding Zaripov and not changing your wingers at all doesn't make much sense.

I was just kidding. I have no idea if he's a good player but I'm cool with finding out.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I was just kidding. I have no idea if he's a good player but I'm cool with finding out.

I don't think you're completely wrong though, so there's that. I totally feel like they'd be throwing a bone to Malkin by signing Zaripov, but that wouldn't be the only reason they'd sign him. :laugh:

A little bit different of a discussion. I feel like Cole is basically Scuderi 2.0 in a good way, in that some team is going to overpay him on a long term after next season because he was big in the Penguins cup runs. I think it's basically a given he's gone after next year. I assume Hunwick was signed for 3 years to replace Cole, but would you look to make a trade during the season, possibly including Cole in the trade or in another trade, to find Cole's replacement? I think the Penguins are going to need a good 3rd pair RD when Cole leaves and I don't think Pouliot is likely to become that. I think a better question is, how high would you put finding a Cole replacement during the regular season on the priority list?

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
It's not only that, he's a legitimately good player that gives the Penguins a nice amount of flexibility when making their lines. If the Penguins would get him, it would allow the Penguins to have a skilled LW opposite of Hornqvist if Hornqvist is playing with Malkin. They could open up the year with something like:

Sheary-Crosby-Rust
Zaripov-Malkin-Hornqvist
Hagelin-Guentzel-Kessel
Wilson-Rowney-Reaves

However, I don't know how they would make their lines if they added Zaripov and didn't slide Guentzel back to center or trade a winger for a center. Adding Zaripov and not changing your wingers at all doesn't make much sense.

We may have no choice, but I don't love having Rust starting with Sid on L1. Is he even going to be back from his stint on Bachelor in Paradise by the start of the season?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
pistolepete said:
I think we have differing opinions on Sheary vs. Hags. I'd prefer Hags for Smith than Sheary for Smith+, but I'd probably do either.

Yeah... but why does Ottawa make that move? I mean maybe if they love Hagelin, but they're a team that's going to be facing a cap crunch next season (or at least a budget one).

Assuming the cap goes up slightly (say 77m), they'll have ~25m to make moves. And they'll need to sign: Anderson, Ceci, Stone and Turris. Depending on how those go (aka the seasons they have this year), I could see those 4 costing 19m or so. Thats in addition to filling out the blueline. Not the end of the world... but the following year they have Brassard & Karlsson to resign. That's going to cost another 16-19m (depending on EK). Fortunately Hagelin's contract expires that summer.

My point is I'm not sure of the reasoning that OTT would make a move for Smith/Hagelin. Smith is a pretty decent middle six winger who's scored 41g/68pts over the last 155 games who's signed to a pretty manageable contract. Add in that he plays a very gritty game and is defensively responsible, and that in itself is appealing. Then add in the fact that he can play as a respectable #3C and is good on draws (52.1% over the last 2 years), and that only adds to his value.

So unless Ottawa is more concerned about their long term salary issues, there's little reason to see why they'd be interested in something around Hagelin. And if they were, Smith's contract isn't something that would be hard to move down the line when those salary issues come up. Hagelin also makes ~425k more a year and carries a 750k higher cap hit.

I mean maybe you could retain on Hagelin to even things out? But I'm still struggling to see the upside for OTT in that sort of deal unless we're adding.

Meh. I don't see why any team would take a risk on a player like Sheary who has historically disappeared in the playoffs or without Crosby. Sheary's value here versus other teams is astronomically different.

If we want to move one of our wings for value I'd go Rust or Hornqvist.

Three reasons.
1) You actually need to get to the playoffs before a player can disappear there. And Sheary (even away from Crosby) will help you do that. Without an elite center and still getting an offensive role with PP minutes, I could see him putting up 25g/50-60pts. For 3x3m, that's pretty decent.

2) It's been two playoffs - where our team was very very different. The first one we dominated and Sheary had highs and lows as a rookie. The second one we were getting hammered and few players stood out to the eye test as amazing.

3) Sure his value here and to other teams is going to be different... but only to an extent. He's still a fast skilled young 2nd line winger signed to a very appealing contract.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
A little bit different of a discussion. I feel like Cole is basically Scuderi 2.0 in a good way, in that some team is going to overpay him on a long term after next season because he was big in the Penguins cup runs. I think it's basically a given he's gone after next year. I assume Hunwick was signed for 3 years to replace Cole, but would you look to make a trade during the season, possibly including Cole in the trade or in another trade, to find Cole's replacement? I think the Penguins are going to need a good 3rd pair RD when Cole leaves and I don't think Pouliot is likely to become that. I think a better question is, how high would you put finding a Cole replacement during the regular season on the priority list?

You always look to make your team better. So if there's a move out there that allows JR to make the team better in the future without sacrificing the present, I'm sure he'll look into it. But as for our #3RD for the 18/19 season? I'm betting that the current plan is that one of Pouliot or Ruhwedel will step into that role. I think we'll see a bunch of Ruhwedel this year when the injuries hit, and that he'll get 40-50 games in. If he can do that and look as good as he did this year, my expectation is that he'll be our #6 next year. Which wouldn't bother me at all. If DP can beat him out of that spot, even better.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Might as well trade Sheary for Cullen if you're gonna trade him for Smith,Haula or Karlsson.....Cullen out produced all of them. People on here are so low on a player who lead the NHL in P/60. Sheary should only be moved for a LEGIT 3C.
Like TJ or Bozak.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I don't think you're completely wrong though, so there's that. I totally feel like they'd be throwing a bone to Malkin by signing Zaripov, but that wouldn't be the only reason they'd sign him. :laugh:

No. Penguins are in a position to 3peat for the first time in decades. Cole helps that. Unless it's Cole+ out for a better Cole coming in, they keep him and worry about losing/keeping him later.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Sheary put up a higher pace away from Crosby than with Crosby last year. That's a fact.

If people want to doubt what he can do away from Crosby going forwards because of the small sample size, fine by me, but he doesn't historically go missing away from Crosby.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Sheary put up a higher pace away from Crosby than with Crosby last year. That's a fact.

If people want to doubt what he can do away from Crosby going forwards because of the small sample size, fine by me, but he doesn't historically go missing away from Crosby.

While that may be true, if you ask me to place a bet on who would get more points - Sheary with Crosby or Sheary without Crosby - I place my money on Sheary with Crosby every. single. time.

Not saying he can't produce elsewhere but I would be weary of him reaching the 70pt mark without him (assuming full health).

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Might as well trade Sheary for Cullen if you're gonna trade him for Smith,Haula or Karlsson.....Cullen out produced all of them. People on here are so low on a player who lead the NHL in P/60. Sheary should only be moved for a LEGIT 3C.
Like TJ or Bozak.

Yes, lets move him for a 31 yr old pending UFA center. :sarcasm:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
While that may be true, if you ask me to place a bet on who would get more points - Sheary with Crosby or Sheary without Crosby - I place my money on Sheary with Crosby every. single. time.

Not saying he can't produce elsewhere but I would be weary of him reaching the 70pt mark without him (assuming full health).

And that's okay by me, as I said. People can make their projections as they will.

But if we're talking about history, as pixies did, then we're dealing with a fact.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

It was also a very small sample size, even though I don't disagree with you. I still think Sheary would be a 50-55 point winger without Crosby with standard top-6 minutes.

Is Zaripov a fast skater at all?

From what I've read on different boards on here, good offensively but just a decent skater. Very good hands and shot.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
And that's okay by me, as I said. People can make their projections as they will.

But if we're talking about history, as pixies did, then we're dealing with a fact.

From what I can gather he scored 6 points last year at even strength without Crosby or Malkin.

Looked like he was around .6 ppg versus 1 ppg. I'm not doubting he'd be a good top six winger, just as a trade partner he isn't going to garner a lot.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
From what I can gather he scored 6 points last year at even strength without Crosby or Malkin.

Looked like he was around .6 ppg versus 1 ppg. I'm not doubting he'd be a good top six winger, just as a trade partner he isn't going to garner a lot.

That's still a 50pt+ player who's young, fast and on a great contract.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I did some YouTube research on Danis Zaripov.

He definitely has some slick hands.

It looks like his stick is longer than normal for someone of his size. It also looks like his skating isn't that bad -- it reminded me a bit of Neal. Hard to gauge on YouTube and on the bigger ice, though.

The videos showed got nothing on his strength or defensive abilities.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I mean the dude scored 15 goals in 18 playoff games last year in the KHL. He's certainly got some game in him.

Like i said, i wouldn't mind the signing at all if it just means having to trade/waive a lesser player, at most, to fit him under the cap.

But i won't get my hopes up. He likely chases more $ elsewhere.
We'll see.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I mean the dude scored 15 goals in 18 playoff games last year in the KHL. He's certainly got some game in him.

Like i said, i wouldn't mind the signing at all if it just means having to trade/waive a lesser player, at most, to fit him under the cap.

But i won't get my hopes up. He likely chases more $ elsewhere.
We'll see.

I feel like Malkin has more to do with where he signs to be honest. I could see a 1yr show me deal with a lot of bonuses for hitting certain milestones and a stipulation where if he doesn't make the roster, he can go back, etc.

Watching a lot of his youtube stuff without really knowing much about his game, he looks like a guy that would thrive with Malkin & Kessel, he has good hands and good playmaking capabilities, his skating is decent but not great, but probably on the level of Malkin's, a little below his high end speed.

But I feel like if Zaripov is signed and Hagelin doesn't show improvement, he's gone and JR has his cap space back to toy with if Guentz isn't ideal for 3C.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Has anyone on this board honestly seen Zaripov play? Im not sure why we'd want a 36 year old that's never played a game in the NHL as a second line center simply because he's Russian. If this was some AHL player from North America, no one would have any interest.

Hard pass for me.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Zaripov has always been a guy that popped up every year for a while and then didn't for a while. If Malkin is a good friend of his and he can sway him to come at a 1yr deal that is incentives laden, then why not? Isn't that what Panarin did? Panarin wasn't 36yrs old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad