The Sabres may have found themselves a Goalie

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
He was overhyped in the way that people expected him to come in at 21 years old and be a quality NHL starter immediately. He was discussed as a can't miss prospect coming into this year and a likely favourite for the Calder trophy
By who? Not a single person I saw or heard. Almost every single hockey talking head was very leery of him being given the starting role and their goaltending was a huge area of concern for the team by analysts and fans alike. Most everybody knows that goalies take a lot longer to develop, and need at least a year or two as back up once done in the AHL. Thats why you just don't see 18-22 year old goalies as starters in the league. As for the Calder trophy, I don't know of a single person who had him as a favourite in a year with a ton of high end young talent entering the league (you hear of this Bedard kid?)

Levi is a great young goalie prospect who will only continue to get better as he gains more experience. As you said, he is a top 3 goalie prospect. I just don't see how he can be a top 3 prospect yet over rated at the same time.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022

Has really come a long way in just one year.

2.44 GA. And .914 SV% And these numbers are after having a very rough start.

I think we have a legitimate #1 Goalie for the first time in forever.

He deserves his props.

Who deserves his props?

I had to read that tweet 3 times because I was under the impression that Demko played for the Sabres.

UPL?

Jesus. Would it hurt to type out his full name?

Buffalo, his agent, the fans, and the player could really use you.

Try Ukko-Pekka-Luukkonen next time.

• Love
Reactions: Bijelo

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Ryan Miller was a sabres before the 2013 lockout or maybe during the lockout

He was still very good then

Lehner was also good statistically in 2 or 3 years there too

Sabres have sucked offensively and defensively relatively more than goaltending during their playoff drought

You forgot Ullmark! He was very good on a trash buffalo team

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
You forgot Ullmark! He was very good on a trash buffalo team
Wellllll … we kept him through all his inconsistent development years then let him go just as he was working it out. I wouldn’t have said he was a great goalie for Buffalo. That was only starting to show in his last season.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
The NHL is so crazy, a year ago we thought Levi was the franchise guy and now it's back to UPL. Goalies are voodoo man
Levi is currently killing it in the minors. .926 save % down in Rochester. The Sabres have a very good problem developing in their hands.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Loved this kid going back to his junior days. Saw him in person and I knew he would be a good one

I’m happy for him

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
That statline is missing his latest shutout. In this calender year he leads the league in shutouts (4), save percentage .932 and GAA 1.87.
The Sabres allowed 2 high danger scoring chances against at 5 v 5 against the Isles. If they're defense is really starting to take off due to the addition of Byram, then the playoff race is really going to get interesting.

Also, @Chainshot is my source for the data I posted, hehe.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Reactions: Dubi Doo

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
I mean that's fair, I'm just saying the outside view looking in. There was a lot of hype with the kid and UPL was having a trash year last year, just saying how volatile the position is
Very true, goalies take more time to develop, it's a unique position

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
This just another like last season when the Sabres thought their rebuild is finally over after Levi won them a few games.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Wellllll … we kept him through all his inconsistent development years then let him go just as he was working it out. I wouldn’t have said he was a great goalie for Buffalo. That was only starting to show in his last season.

I mean, the 3 years leading to Boston he was at or above 0.915 SV%. Over the 3 years he was 14th in sv%, on a mess of a Buffalo team.

Thats pretty solid goaltending

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Given Ullmark's success as well the Sabres are kinda sneaky good at developing goaltenders. Ironic since goaltending has been a problem for them for so long, but the issue was they could never settle on one before now. Or nobody really grabbed the reins, but Luukkonen has now.

Happy for him and the Sabres. I always love seeing teams develop their #1 goalie through their system.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
"None of us thought he was the franchise guy"

"Let him develop and then he'll be a franchise guy"
Umm right. He needs to develop into a franchise goalie. He isn't one yet. No one in Buffalo said trade away all of our other goalies, Levi now owns the crease like the next coming of Hasek. We all knew he was too young, and *hope* he becomes the future franchise goalie.

Having trouble with comprehension?

pekka55

Dec 21, 2023
Umm right. He needs to develop into a franchise goalie. He isn't one yet. No one in Buffalo said trade away all of our other goalies, Levi now owns the crease like the next coming of Hasek. We all knew he was too young, and *hope* he becomes the future franchise goalie.

Having trouble with comprehension?
So he's 100% sure to become a franchise goalie then?

A lot of people were pretty sure Levi was going to be the answer going forward. He's a long way from even being a back up in the NHL let alone a franchise goalie.

We've heard all this multiple times after Miller left. "So and so is going to be the goalie that takes us into the playoffs". Well, here we are.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Just how long would you consider "forever"?
since pegula. most sabres fans grew up with during parts of miller, hasek, fuhr, puppa, barrasso/sauve, edwards/sauve, desjardins, crozier. sabres only missed the playoffs 3 years in a row during the rigas/stewardship/golisano mess in early 2000s until the never ending rebuild. a sabres kid under 12 never saw a playoff game, a sabres kid under 18 wouldn't remember a playoff game.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00