The Sabres look really good

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Call me when they look scary good.

Yo, aufheben, come look!

Nice reference, but seriously- this team really does look scary good. They completely dominated the Pens and Devils- not elite teams, but no cakewalks either. Ya ya, 10 win streak last year, but any Sabres fan who thought those 1 goal wins were for real was blindly optimistic- most nights we lost everywhere but the scoreboard, whereas these guys are killing it on stats and on the scoreboard.

It's 2 games, I fully expect some regression and some ugly games, but they've looked better in both games than they looked in any game last year. Seriously, I can't remember any games where they dominated the majority of the game like they have in these first two wins.

Everyone looks improved, everyone looks like they know their job and what they can contribute. Friggin Okposo has looked decent and potted one tonight, it's just a ground up change and I'm pumped for it.

Appreciate OP owning up to eatin some crow, I told y'all this was comin.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Yeah I knew how this thread would go when I saw it was started Game 2.

But to all those saying "10 game streak blah blah", that was hilarious but it was dumb luck.

They dominated these 2 games...look completely different but need more time to see if they can keep it up obviously.

They didn’t look as good in any of the ten games in the streak as they’ve looked these first two games.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
How does Vesey look though?

He looks like a solid 3rd line player and much like the rest of the team, has had a lot more positive than negative moments. Team is producing well right now so not really missing his offense but there will be a point he will need to put one in the net.

Haven’t hated his forechecking and has supported players well.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dec 17, 2018
He looks like a solid 3rd line player and much like the rest of the team, has had a lot more positive than negative moments. Team is producing well right now so not really missing his offense but there will be a point he will need to put one in the net.

Haven’t hated his forechecking and has supported players well.

Ya, hasn't seemed a defensive liability and that's the biggest thing so far. I think he'll figure out where exactly he fits in the attack, but otherwise he's just been a solid 3rd line guy.

Reactions: Buffalo Preds

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Ya, hasn't seemed a defensive liability and that's the biggest thing so far. I think he'll figure out where exactly he fits in the attack, but otherwise he's just been a solid 3rd line guy.
He's also done a good job on the PK though everytime Girgs and Larry are out on the PK they seem to be all over puck carriers.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I really liked what they did this offseason to fix some of their depth. They were my darkhorse pick to make the playoffs this year. I think they are going to surprise a lot of people.

Buffalo Preds

Jun 18, 2013
Buffalo, NY

I think this was his ceiling anyhow, despite the drama surrounding him a few years ago. Good forechecking, doesn’t give away the puck. This is probably his level, and he could have a good career as a hardworking bottom six forward.

As for the team, I don’t know what they future holds for the Sabres, but they have looked way better as a team in both of these games than they have in any single game in the last seven years. What they’re doing isn’t simply riding in the slipstream behind one or two hot players. I’m curious to see how they look against teams that hold the puck really well, and teams who play a top-level defensive game, but they certainly never looked this in-control during last year’s winning streak.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dec 17, 2018
I think this was his ceiling anyhow, despite the drama surrounding him a few years ago. Good forechecking, doesn’t give away the puck. This is probably his level, and he could have a good career as a hardworking bottom six forward.

As for the team, I don’t know what they future holds for the Sabres, but they have looked way better as a team in both of these games than they have in any single game in the last seven years. What they’re doing isn’t simply riding in the slipstream behind one or two hot players. I’m curious to see how they look against teams that hold the puck really well, and teams who play a top-level defensive game, but they certainly never looked this in-control during last year’s winning streak.

That's what the Sabres needed, so if he provides it I'm happy- makes it easier for a guy like Sheary to do his thing. We could still potentially use a 2nd line player, but adding those little pieces really seems to have worked wonders.

For some reason I feel like Vegas is almost the best comparable as far as how they look, and I hold Vegas in very high regard. Not sayin Sabres are that good, but the speed and pressure look similar. I'm looking forward to seeing some of the challenges, though, 'cause you're right, there are definitely different strategies that could really test 'em.

Thought it was funny though- Pens were way too passive on the PK and Sabres made 'em pay. Devils either noticed that or it's just their style to play really aggressive- first Sabre to see it almost panicked, then made the right play, cycle it around, goal. Two totally different PKs, Sabres looked lethal against both. Strategy differences in the rest of the game.. we'll see how it goes.

Edit- Oh, and Dahlin could be an X factor already. Figured he might sophomore slump and he still might, or maybe he wears down towards season's end- but first two games he's been insane. Goal, assists, broke up a 3-on-1 tonight. Him, Miller, Joker, our D looks real good so far.

Last edited:

HabsMD97

Jun 30, 2014
king's landing
Sabres have been good possession wise and will be better this year but its the toughest division in the league. No way they make the playoffs over TOR, BOS, TB, MTL, FLR

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I'm happy...we've played well..can't take that away from us.

But New Jersey is bad...and Pitt isn't very good.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Sabres have been good possession wise and will be better this year but its the toughest division in the league. No way they make the playoffs over TOR, BOS, TB, MTL, FLR

lol at including montreal and florida on that list. Buffalo can absolutely finish ahead of those two teams...they are in the same tier. Anyone saying otherwise is a fan of one of those two teams

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
We'll see how it goes in time but Dahlin was weirdly flying under the radar in the summer.

HabsMD97

Jun 30, 2014
king's landing
lol at including montreal and florida on that list. Buffalo can absolutely finish ahead of those two teams...they are in the same tier. Anyone saying otherwise is a fan of one of those two teams

You're right, it's not like they finished 20 points behind the habs last year and 10 points behind FLR :sarcasm: don't hold your breath

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I am/was/probably still will be one of the biggest haters on the moves this organization has made over the past decade, but I'll admit they look very good. Only 2 games in and a ton of time to regress, but

Eichel looks good
Dahlin looks good
Skinner looks good
Olofsson looks good
Johansson looks good
The jerseys look good
Hell even Okposo is on the board.

Well see what they do agains tthe Lightning, Leafs, Caps and Bruins, but im impressed early.

I've read a thread like that in the last year, did I?

Oh yeah, I did.

Are the Sabres a top 5 team in the NHL this year?

Derg12

Mar 12, 2014
Feel like people from Buffalo know better than to start threads like this.

Don't think you'll find too many of us starting them either. Every fan base has a few of "those types" but I can assure you that after all these many years of disappointment, as a group, we're not tooting too many horns.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
You're right, it's not like they finished 20 points behind the habs last year and 10 points behind FLR :sarcasm: don't hold your breath

Yup, no way sabres can finish ahead of either of those teams. You dont happen to be a fan of one of those teams, are you?

They are in the same tier, anything can happen. Don't be such a fanboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad