The Rumors and Speculation Thread #5 (June 8: Bob McKenzie's rumors [page 27])

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
So how exactly woul are we linked to bernier yandle and Ryan??

when the trade deadline ended there was a rumor that there was a team that inquired about Bernier. not sure how much water there was too it but it was mentioned. So many people speculated it was the Flyers.
I dont think I have to expain myself about Bobby Ryan.
The Flyers need a offensive minded defenseman and Yandle may be the best available. or rumored to be available.

Haute Couturier

Feb 28, 2007
Philadelphia
I'm not saying they are right or that we should trade him (I pretty much agree with Meltzer point for point), but his value is probably higher than what his stats show yet lower than what we think it is.

This is why they should not trade him. It's flat out stupid to sell low on a young player who has a world of potential, but the Flyers and their fans think every player who has a down year is expendable.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
We really should just post this on all the Couturier threads with all of Meltzer's bullet points quoted.

In fact, we shouldn't even respond to the idiots anymore. Instead we should just post that over and over again every time a stupid proposal pops up.

I came here to post this. We should just link it EVERY time. Meltzer nailed it.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
The majority here also understands Read's value, but is worried about the cost of resigning him. I really like his game.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Yeah Bill's daily blog post today about Coots was very good. I doubt though it will do much to dissuade the trade Couturier for a PMD contingent...:shakehead

I will be really mad if Coots is traded and all we get is a Steve Duchesne or Danny Markov shorter-term return. Like Bill notes with FACTS...Coots is already one of the best defensive centerman in the league..something very very important if you want to contend for a cup eventually.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Ding ding ding ding!

His value to the team is definitely higher than the value he would return in a trade right now, considering he'd likely be going for a Dman and other assets would also need to move.

He is really, really valuable to the Flyers right now. I'd rather not consider what this team would have looked like with worse defensive play and Bryz in net.

dawkins121

Jul 7, 2007
Philadelphia
This is why they should not trade him. It's flat out stupid to sell low on a young player who has a world of potential, but the Flyers and their fans think every player who has a down year is expendable.

Yup that's exactly what I meant, that Couturier is expendable. Let's just dump him for picks. :shakehead

Just because I don't think a Norris caliber defenseman is the only acceptable return for him doesn't mean I think he should be traded. I like his potential a lot and think we should almost definitely hold on to him but let's get real here, we aren't looking at the next Datsyuk. There is a very real chance his ceiling is that of a shut down 3rd line center who can chip in with 40-45 points. While valuable, that is not the resume of an untouchable player. There is also a chance he ends up being a perenniel Selke candidate capable of putting up 60+ every year, but if I had to put money on it I would bet closer the former scenario.

Whatever the case I agree that the best strategy for now is to hold on to him and see how he develops.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
when the trade deadline ended there was a rumor that there was a team that inquired about Bernier. not sure how much water there was too it but it was mentioned. So many people speculated it was the Flyers.
I dont think I have to expain myself about Bobby Ryan.
The Flyers need a offensive minded defenseman and Yandle may be the best available. or rumored to be available.

Okay I mean I know Ryan is s no Brainer but are they suggesting moving coots bcuz if so I'm on bored for yandle coots is showing very little offensive potential IMO but what would it take for bernier

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I think another player we should keep an eye on is Brent Burns in San Jose. There was a lot of speculation at the deadline the two teams were talking about a deal(also Ryan Clowe) but nothing materialized.

We would of course put him back on D.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I would like to make this required reading. People really need to understand what sort of defensive talent we are shedding by trading Couturier.

He is so good already and is nothing compared to his prime in 4 years which is scary to think. If you want to trade couts fine, trade him. But I'd wait till after this year when his value is going to be very very high relative to now.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I think another player we should keep an eye on is Brent Burns in San Jose. There was a lot of speculation at the deadline the two teams were talking about a deal(also Ryan Clowe) but nothing materialized.

We would of course put him back on D.

The way shark fans talk he is untouchable. He's young and a great player not going to break the bank but he wont be cheap

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
The way shark fans talk he is untouchable. He's young and a great player not going to break the bank but he wont be cheap

Here the thing though, I could care less what other fans say about how "untouchable" their players are. We all over rate our own players on here big time. They all want huge deals and other teams to break the bank for their players and for them to come away "winners". Look at Big buff, you think any team is going to trade a large amount of talent for a guy getting paid 5.7 million and can't stay in shape? Won't happen. Teams work out fair deals, and San Jose already saw them going into a slight "re-tool".

I only mentioned it because he was linked to the Flyers earlier this season around the deadline. San Jose is watching their core players aging and their window closing, might be a nice time to move in and see what they are asking for.

He was already(along with a 2nd rounder) traded for Seto, Coyle and a 1st(28th overall).

So we should try to match that type of package.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Dont trade couts, Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds, or either of the schenns. Everyone else should be available for the right deal

Any of them are available for the "right deal." I don't want to trade any of them, and the "right deal" should be very pricey. Though I feel Simmonds should be more available than most fans want him to be

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
he needs to post here more often

He's busy enough with all his writing jobs and the family too. We're lucky we get to hear from him on here at all.

Not sure if you know, but he did get his start posting on here and writing game reviews for the Orange&Black board, and the alt.hockey.nhl.philadelphia-flyers.net usegroup before that. Mike Barr and Dave Kilgore, where are you? Ogie (Frank Thorpe) rest in peace! :)

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
Here the thing though, I could care less what other fans say about how "untouchable" their players are. We all over rate our own players on here big time. They all want huge deals and other teams to break the bank for their players and for them to come away "winners". Look at Big buff, you think any team is going to trade a large amount of talent for a guy getting paid 5.7 million and can't stay in shape? Won't happen. Teams work out fair deals, and San Jose already saw them going into a slight "re-tool".

I only mentioned it because he was linked to the Flyers earlier this season around the deadline. San Jose is watching their core players aging and their window closing, might be a nice time to move in and see what they are asking for.

He was already(along with a 2nd rounder) traded for Seto, Coyle and a 1st(28th overall).

So we should try to match that type of package.

Way to much to pay for a guy who was great as a winger in the playoffs. He's not a Dman anymore....and that's what we need.

If SJ is looking to get younger and shed salary/players, I'd consider Boyle. Great player still, was the best player on the ice in a few of their playoff games.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
I hope it's another A+ piece, because he's a player I need some convincing on.

Don't know why. I was down on him his rookie year but he grew on me in the Pens series. His sophomore year he took some steps but is still inconsistent but that's to be expected from a young player. I love his scoring touch and grit. You win with players like him.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
You have to remember Schenn has yet to play a full 82 game season due to injuries and the lockout.

I think he's going to take the next step next year like most players do in their third year in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad