The ROR Beatification Station and Exclusion Zone (Discussion of ROR trade goes here!) Part 2

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
They refused to pay the bonus because they are petty. It was based on principle.

ROR embarrassed them by telling the truth. They wanted him gone no matter the return and didn't want to give him another cent.

Ironically, by doing so they further embarrassed themselves.
It was the principle not to pay ROR after saying mEaN tHiNgS. Hubris, arrogance, self-pride- call it what you will. At least it certainly seems like that. Technically speculation, but doesn't take a genius to put 2&2 2gether.

Ironic because they'd rather take on cap dumps who'd cost more than 7.5 mil in the end- one of which literally bailed on the team, one who'd be a really good beer league player, (Sobotka) and the other would be an OK dimeadozen bottom sixer but with a decent shot who can be found in second or third rounds of a draft.

ROR is an elite 1C, who our organization profoundly undervalued, the captain of a Stanley cup winning team of which he was a part of and the CS winner for a team that never won a cup.

Emblematic of everything wrong with the Sabres. Shoot me so I don't have to.

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
ROR with a -3 last night. He’s not an elite 1C. Nathan Mackinnon is an elite 1C.
ROR's a 1C. = Most people would agree
He's elite...= Obviously...

= Elite+1C= He's an elite 1C. Make sense?
-3 +/- in a game does not= not elite...

**btw I love that this thread is still active. :laugh::laugh:It's been three yrs.
:popcorn::popcorn:

Last edited:

Genny Screamer

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I expect my “elite” 1st line centers to win their matchups. However, when ROR is matched up against other elite centers he usually caves. He’s more of a defensively responsible center that gets plenty of ice time. He is a good 2nd line center on a great club.

In the Sabres current situation I would much rather have Beniers with his contract, youth and skating ability over ROR.

ROR is a good player, but he looks slow. Part of it is that he’s matched up against an elite center in Mackinnon.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
:laugh: Marcus Foligno just dropped a couple bombs on the coaches/organization on Spittin Chiclets. Laughing my ass off right now.

"ROR is an unbelievable leader and guy. Included everyone in everything. You were looking forward to his practice more than the actual practice...no offense to the whole 12 coaches we had."

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
They refused to pay the bonus because they are petty. It was based on principle.

ROR embarrassed them by telling the truth. They wanted him gone no matter the return and didn't want to give him another cent.

Ironically, by doing so they further embarrassed themselves.
Look at from the other side. He signed a 7 year, $52.5 million contract. After 3 years and collecting $25.5 million entirely in bonus money he lost his love for the game. He signed that contract knowing what he was getting into. When you make that kind of commitment in a person a commitment is expected in return. It makes me wonder if he signed it in good faith or already had an exit strategy planned.

Reactions: Genny Screamer

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Look at from the other side. He signed a 7 year, $52.5 million contract. After 3 years and collecting $25.5 million entirely in bonus money he lost his love for the game. He signed that contract knowing what he was getting into. When you make that kind of commitment in a person a commitment is expected in return. It makes me wonder if he signed it in good faith or already had an exit strategy planned.

If a player wants out there are a lot easier ways to do it than an absurd convoluted scheme.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
You could say that for any player every time they sign a large contract.
He also schemed to get out of Colorado to get what he wanted. He's a tremendous player. He works his butt off, but Ryan O'Reilly only takes care of Ryan O'Reilly. I can't ever recall him defending a teammate. That's fine as long as you know what you're getting. Murray was wearing blinders when he traded for ROR, Kane, and Lehner. They don't fit a team that doesn't have an established culture.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
He also schemed to get out of Colorado to get what he wanted. He's a tremendous player. He works his butt off, but Ryan O'Reilly only takes care of Ryan O'Reilly. I can't ever recall him defending a teammate. That's fine as long as you know what you're getting. Murray was wearing blinders when he traded for ROR, Kane, and Lehner. They don't fit a team that doesn't have an established culture.

He wanted more money and term than Colorado could or wanted to offer. Basically a greater commitment to him. After that I don't think he had issues other than being frustrated with the constant losing, exactly like three other current players are also expressing.

A player that works his butt off is a positive for "team culture". I never got the impression but are you referring to on or off ice when saying he never defended a team mate?

Reactions: Punished ROR

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
He wanted more money and term than Colorado could or wanted to offer. Basically a greater commitment to him. After that I don't think he had issues other than being frustrated with the constant losing, exactly like three other current players are also expressing.

A player that works his butt off is a positive for "team culture". I never got the impression but are you referring to on or off ice when saying he never defended a team mate?
I've never seen him defend a teammate on the ice.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
I've never seen him defend a teammate on the ice.

Hmm I'm not sure. Can't remember if he never did. I think there are plenty of guys that stay out of the fray. I don't think that means that person is being selfish. The pushing and shoving in the NHL now doesn't amount to anything and he isn't someone you want dropping the gloves.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Hmm I'm not sure. Can't remember if he never did. I think there are plenty of guys that stay out of the fray. I don't think that means that person is being selfish. The pushing and shoving in the NHL now doesn't amount to anything and he isn't someone you want dropping the gloves.
Landeskog defended a team mate last night. Both he and RoR wear the C.

Gabe and O'Reilly know one another really well. (And I've always thought RoR wanted what Landeskog earned..... Landeskog on the other hand pubicly stated that he didn't care what RoR was paid cause he made the team better.)

This ain't about elite status. Its' about leadership.

Reactions: joshjull

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
For me it comes down to ROR was supposed to be part of the solution, a centerpiece in fact. But he became part of the problem. He needed to be one of the players taking the lead at overcoming adversity and showing his teammates the way. The return the Sabres got for him is a separate issue. :laugh:

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
For me it comes down to ROR was supposed to be part of the solution, a centerpiece in fact. But he became part of the problem. He needed to be one of the players taking the lead at overcoming adversity and showing his teammates the way. The return the Sabres got for him is a separate issue. :laugh:

Those Sabres teams had tons of problems. Housley first and foremost. Immobile low IQ AHL level defense. Weak goaltending.

imo RoR wasn't part of the problem. He was one of the few good parts of those teams. He was our best player at the time. I don't know what more he could've done for this team in fact.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Landeskog defended a team mate last night. Both he and RoR wear the C.

Gabe and O'Reilly know one another really well. (And I've always thought RoR wanted what Landeskog earned..... Landeskog on the other hand pubicly stated that he didn't care what RoR was paid cause he made the team better.)

This ain't about elite status. Its' about leadership.
On a team there's playing for yourself and playing for each other. The tank destroyed the concept of playing for each other and the Sabres haven't been able to find the right kind of players to restore it. Almost everyone on those crap teams was playing for themselves. They have no accountability to each other and it's basically continued to this day. The kids playing for Granato have provided a ray of hope. I'm not sure about Reinhart, but I'm absolutely convinced that Eichel and Ristolainen play only for themselves.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Oh yeah if you want to knock ROR leadership qualities, I forgot to mention that he is the captain of a Stanley cup championship team.

I don't think they'd label him that if they labeled him a selfish player.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Oh yeah if you want to knock ROR leadership qualities, I forgot to mention that he is the captain of a Stanley cup championship team.

I don't think they'd label him that if they labeled him a selfish player.

I'm not knocking ROR, I think he's elite on the ice and a fine teammate from all reports (there have been mixed reports about his ability as a leader).

But if we're being accurate Pietro was the captain of the Stanley Cup champ, O'Reilly is the captain of a team that's about to get knocked out in the 1st round.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
I'm not knocking ROR, I think he's elite on the ice and a fine teammate from all reports (there have been mixed reports about his ability as a leader).

But if we're being accurate Pietro was the captain of the Stanley Cup champ, O'Reilly is the captain of a team that's about to get knocked out in the 1st round.

That's true. Point is a team of that caliber values his leadership.

Also I don't think any team can touch that Avalanche team this year. They are absolutely loaded and dominant.

Reactions: jc17 and Fezzy126

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad