The ROR Beatification Station and Exclusion Zone (Discussion of ROR trade goes here!) Part 2

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
I like how discussing the most significant trade this organization has made since Hasek to Detroit is considered "beating a dead horse". It single-handedly exposed just how incompetent this ownership really is from top to bottom, even when compared to the rest of the awful hires and roster moves. It's a mar PSE will likely never recover from and it shouldn't be swept under the rug. They lucked into Dahlin then immediately turned around and traded arguably their best player only out of "optics" and "cleansing" the stink of tanking left over from the old regime. How are the optics now, ya f***ing morons?

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Reading this is tough. The Sabres could have been a playoff team as early as two years ago had they had management and coaching leadership.

For years now, since the Regier/Ruff era ended, the Sabres have been the team equivalent of the player with lots of tools and no toolbox.

Something completely unravelled with the O'Reilly situation that caused the Sabres as an organization to think they needed to move him. I think there is more to it then meets the eye. Regardless of what it was or what all was involved, it never happens if the Sabres have a high-end GM / coach combo. That Eichel and O'Reilly were not clearly identified as a pair that you build Stanley Cup championships around (oh, and here is a bonus possibly generational defenceman), was a clear failure of leadership. Botterill and Housley should be relegated to "assistant" titles at best for the rest of their respective careers.
The only jobs in hockey either one should ever have again is selling hot dogs at an arena.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I'm not the type to post things to intentionally make myself mad but if that's what you guys want to do 2 years down the road I guess do it here

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
and Moses Malone for a pair of first round picks. Imagine a front court with Malone and McAdoo
Your bringing up some memories... If the Braves had held onto players as opposed to trades which generally weren't in their favor, from what I recall as a youngster, and/or trading players for cash, they could have lined up the following instead of leaving for San Diego:

Point guard: Ernie Di., Tiny Archibald (never played a game as a Brave due to injury),
Shooting guard: Randy Smith, Bird Averitt,
Power forward: John Shumate or Marvin Barnes
Shooting forward: Adrian Dantley
Center / Forward: Bob McAdoo, Moses Malone (Braves had him for 1 freaking week - the Swen Nater trade likely doesn't happen if they held onto Big Mo, later of "fo, fo, fo" fame)

3 NBA rookies of the year... 4 of you count Swen Nater

McAdoo never played defense, but that's where Malone would have helped.

The challenge would have been dividing up the minutes...

I have no love for John Y. Brown, and to this day, I only eat KFC once or twice a year.

Fun fact: Years ago (1950s) my mom went on a few dates with Paul Snyder before he built his WNY business empire (Freezer Queen, Darien Lake, Braves owner, etc.)

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
This is really far down my list on Sabres gripes now even with Thompson busting.
Almost doesn't hurt.

Reactions: Yatzhee

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
I wouldn't have hired this big headed fool again in any position after what he has done to this team.
Maybe the Kraken want to pull them self to the bottom of the standings.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Regarding the trade, yeah, it was terrible. On the other hand, with the way the Sabres have continued to be mismanaged, it seems increasingly unlikely that we'll be anywhere near Cup contention while ROR is still in his prime. We did him a favor.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
I took this from a gentlemen on another board:

NHL Production since the trade
Buffalo has received:
184 games played, 16 goals, 18 assists, 34 points, and a +/- of -47. No trophies that I am aware of

St Louis has received:
179 games played, 48 goals, 116 assists, 164 points, a +/- of +43, along with a Selke and Conn Smythe trophy and a Stanley Cup

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Regarding the trade, yeah, it was terrible. On the other hand, with the way the Sabres have continued to be mismanaged, it seems increasingly unlikely that we'll be anywhere near Cup contention while ROR is still in his prime. We did him a favor.
It was obviously a bad trade from the onset but the fact that people said that he wouldn't have made a difference as some kind of justification for it is why this discussion will always be a maddening one. But here's to Ryan Johnson being the potential peanut in the dung pile, I guess. Go Sabres!

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
It was obviously a bad trade from the onset but the fact that people said that he wouldn't have made a difference as some kind of justification for it is why this discussion will always be a maddening one. But here's to Ryan Johnson being the potential peanut in the dung pile, I guess. Go Sabres!
To be clear, my post wasn't meant as a justification of the trade, just pointing out the sad reality.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+

Buffalo has received:
184 games played, 16 goals, 18 assists, 34 points, and a +/- of -47. No trophies that I am aware of

St Louis has received:
179 games played, 48 goals, 116 assists, 164 points, a +/- of +43, along with a Selke and Conn Smythe trophy and a Stanley Cup
Is atrophy a trophy?

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
To be clear, my post wasn't meant as a justification of the trade, just pointing out the sad reality.
That's fair just saying that was one of the many inane points made by those who weren't against the trade from the start.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010

Buffalo has received:

St Louis has received:
Have these stats been adjusted after Tage's goal last game, which will surely lead to more first line minutes?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad