The road to the playoffs: Who will be our opponent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
NJ, Columbus, Washington. IMO they are all the same in terms of percentage to win. Each team has tools that can beat us. Each team has a weakness.

I still think the Blue Jackets would be the easiest match-up of the tree IMO. I would rank it as
Columbus,NJ, Washington in that order. I think they all would be the underdog though.

Reactions: zero8771

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I hate those 'who do we wish for' polls.

It seems like begging for trouble in the 'be careful what you wish for' category.

Yeah there is no wishing for a team. Pens have to beat whoever is in front of them. 2010 Montreal and 1993 Isles is all the support to my statement anyone will ever need.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I still think the Blue Jackets would be the easiest match-up of the tree IMO. I would rank it as
Columbus,NJ, Washington in that order. I think they all would be the underdog though.

Interesting. I don't agree. I think the Jackets are one of the toughest. I actually am contemplating how difficult NJ would actually be. I could see them playing their playoff style now. And when we turned it up for a period against them, they couldn't touch us. I could see it being an Ottawa/Pens series when the Pens got crushed their first time to the playoffs.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Interesting. I don't agree. I think the Jackets are one of the toughest. I actually am contemplating how difficult NJ would actually be. I could see them playing their playoff style now. And when we turned it up for a period against them, they couldn't touch us. I could see it being an Ottawa/Pens series when the Pens got crushed their first time to the playoffs.

NJ is so damn fast up front and that makes me nervous. Several of their forwards could get breakaways all game, especially if our D pinch and our forwards don't support like they should. That and Kinkaid having the Pens number. Of course, playoffs are a different animal and New Jersey's D personnel can be exploited.

Devils have just always been a tough nut for Pens to crack, but obviously this is a different Devils team and system than the one that has given the Pens fits in the past.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Yohe said:
In many ways, though, Malkin is the man who triggers these Penguins. He doesn't speak up often, but when he does, everyone notices... Malkin believes the Penguins can flip that magical switch as well, and his display on Sunday sent the very clear message to his teammates that the time is near.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Makes you wonder how much of that was Geno flying off the handle vs trying to motivate his team and actually send a message to Caps.

Reactions: BHD

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Makes you wonder how much of that was Geno flying off the handle vs trying to motivate his team and actually send a message to Caps.

Maybe it was both. Most of Geno's outbursts (in games) seem to occur because he hates teams/players getting beating him.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I think the Pens should be able to defeat any of Philly, NJ and Columbus. I think those teams are all clearly a step below the rest of the playoff teams in the east.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think the Pens should be able to defeat any of Philly, NJ and Columbus. I think those teams are all clearly a step below the rest of the playoff teams in the east.
I find inconsistent teams tough to gameplan against. One thing Sully is good at is gameplanning for a playoff series. Philly and NJ, especially, are difficult. Columbus is a well rounded team with a guy who KILLS us in Panarin.

Like I posted - I think the east, especially our division, is wide open for the taking. All of these teams are within a tiny margin of being equal. The ECF is wide open and this is the year I think ANY of the metro teams could go. Or at least I could make a case for any of those teams to go.

Reactions: Andy99

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
If it is the Jackets, it does feel like this is the perfect time for an upset...and the biggest win in their history.

Adding Panarin for them, was like us getting Kessel. Already became the leading scorer in a season, in his first year there.

Their deadline moves not only panned out themselves, but got everyone else to start scoring again as well ( they were 24th in the league in goals scored at deadline, up to 15 now i believe. Huge jump) .

And the biggest story line..Ian Cole. Yeah some have been overrating him, but that was a good pickup for the Jackets. And if hes has a great series, and they pull off the upset..it gets talked about even more.

I still think we win, but wouldnt be shocked if we didnt.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
With our unknowns being high—Brass and Phil’s health, Murray’s play, cohesion among lines that haven’t played a lot together— I could quite easily see any team beating us....

Our play tomorrow should go along way to seeing our chances IMO...

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I've said this before, but Chicago waaaaaay over-corrected after a disappointing 1st round exit (and having the best record in the West last year). Yea make some moves on the margins to improve your team but they shipped out some big names and they also fired an asst plus their AHL HC. Major over reaction

Yeah... I had to raise an eyebrow at their offseason. The biggest elephants in the room are still on their roster, too. So they accomplished very little except taking a big step back, I guess.

And @JimmyTwoTimes -- thank you. That's all I'm really saying. I will never give up on the Penguins... foolish. They have overcome the odds too many times to doubt them. I'm only saying that I don't know any other team, especially a team like the Jackets, would FEAR them.

And again... I hope the Penguins use that to their advantage. We'll see. Tomorrow might be an interesting preview.

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
If it is the Jackets, it does feel like this is the perfect time for an upset...and the biggest win in their history.

Adding Panarin for them, was like us getting Kessel. Already became the leading scorer in a season, in his first year there.

Their deadline moves not only panned out themselves, but got everyone else to start scoring again as well ( they were 24th in the league in goals scored at deadline, up to 15 now i believe. Huge jump) .

And the biggest story line..Ian Cole. Yeah some have been overrating him, but that was a good pickup for the Jackets. And if hes has a great series, and they pull off the upset..it gets talked about even more.

I still think we win, but wouldnt be shocked if we didnt.

Would you have been shocked if we lost any series the last two years outside of the Rangers and Ottawa?

People act like we were this dominant force. No, just like Chicago we found ways to win.

Columbus has Panarin. We have Crosby, Malkin and Kessel. Brassard and Jake would be on their first line. Our offensive depth heavily favors us. Our defenses are comparable. They clearly have a better first pairing, but they likely have to split them up otherwise one of Brassard, Crosby or Malkin is feasting on Jack Johnson.

Go read how the Jackets fans talk about us. They are certainly wanting to play anyone, but us. The only team I’d say that is confident against us is Boston.

Apr 9, 2009
USA

Columbus is peaking. I put them on a different tier than the other two. I've watched every game they've played since the deadline that didn't overlap with a Penguins game. They're playing extremely well, and I am with Cole in thinking they're one of the better teams. They've looked better than the Pens for quite some time now. But, if the Pens do have the switch we're all waiting for, the Pens could beat anyone (obviously).

I'd still much rather see Philly/NJ over Columbus.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
You think they want anything to do with the Penguins?

(I know - HFPenguins can't help themselves but see doom and gloom)

Yes, some of them actually do want to play us in round 1.

Columbus has Panarin. We have Crosby, Malkin and Kessel. Brassard and Jake would be on their first line. Our offensive depth heavily favors us. Our defenses are comparable. They clearly have a better first pairing, but they likely have to split them up otherwise one of Brassard, Crosby or Malkin is feasting on Jack Johnson.

I don't view our D as very similar to their D, I think their D is much deeper and better at defense. They also score a lot. I'm not sure what's similar about them at all, to be completely honest. But I'm with you on the talent thing.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Would you have been shocked if we lost any series the last two years outside of the Rangers and Ottawa?

People act like we were this dominant force. No, just like Chicago we found ways to win.

Go read how the Jackets fans talk about us. They are certainly wanting to play anyone, but us. The only team I’d say that is confident against us is Boston.

Lol...you really underestimate the CBJ forwards...Jake is not better than Atkinson, Wennberg etc. he would not be on their first line and Brass probably would be their second line center...our players other than Sid and Geno are comparable to theirs...Josh Anderson is probably better than anyone else we have not named Hornqvist or Kessel...our big advantage in forwards is based on our centers and that’s true of pretty much every team in the league..

Their big advantage is on defense....
They both have questions in goal: which Bob and which Murray will show up in the POs....very little separates these teams...

Reactions: mikeyp24

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
We’ll see if that “switch”exists tomorrow...
I’m hopeful but I have my doubts....especially about Murray

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Lol...you really underestimate the CBJ forwards...Jake is not better than Atkinson, Wennberg etc. he would not be on their first line and Brass probably would be their second line center...our players other than Sid and Geno are comparable to theirs...Josh Anderson is probably better than anyone else we have not named Hornqvist or Kessel...our big advantage in forwards is based on our centers and that’s true of pretty much every team in the league..

They both have questions in goal: which Bob and which Murray will show up in the POs....very little separates these teams...

Atkinson is solid. But, in a realistic world he’s a second liner. Wennberg? Had a hot powerplay last season where he had 1/3rd of his assists. Career 40-50 pt guy like Brassard.

Anderson is better than every winger but Kessel and Horny? Really? He has five points in his last 20 games. He also will be recovering from a LBI. Jake and him are the same age and Jake is heavily out producing him in an off year. Columbus is a streaky team with a collection of 40-50 pt guys and is going to be missing Folignio. We beat Nashville who has better forwards, and better D.

And no, Columbus’s defense still has Jack Johnson or Ian Cole on their second pairing. It is not an advantage.

This is completely ignoring the fact Bob is a joke against us which I don’t believe we can count on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shady Machine

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

They have a slight advantage on defense with 2 legit top pairing guys vs our one. Overall defense I'll give them the edge, but it ain't by much.

Of course our advantage at forward is up the middle, but our winger situation is on par with theirs. Total team on paper Pens have the advantage against most teams. Execution is another question.

Reactions: BHD

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Ian Cole solidified the Columbus Blue Jackets line-up.

This board..

:laugh: Their issue was goal scoring. I don't think Vanek/Cole/Letestu changed that but the team did wake up at the right time. Their goal scoring has not been an issue lately. This is them finally getting hot at the right time as opposed to early in the season.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
:laugh: Their issue was goal scoring. I don't think Vanek/Cole/Letestu changed that but the team did wake up at the right time. Their goal scoring has not been an issue lately. This is them finally getting hot at the right time as opposed to early in the season.

Look at the teams they are beating. They are typically Columbus right now. Half of their fans are worried about playing us. I see three players we are worried about on that roster and we all know who they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad