the road to recovery - the bottom 5 Atlantic teams

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
so much has been said about the Atlantic being so weak, despite having 3 of the top 6 teams in the league. the top 3 teams have been discussed ad nauseum.

my question - who do you think of the bottom 5 teams has the shortest road to recovery going forward.

things to take into consideration (everything):
state of NHL team.
contract situation
state of prospect base
management
ownership
anything else you seem appropriate.

my list, in order....

Florida - lots of good young players. they just botched up their d. done well a few players could turn them around quickly.

buffalo - a fair bit of good young talent. pegula is dedicated to winning. they need to find a good coach though. they should have kept ruff. his play style is actually suited to the game these days

Detroit - they seem to have embraced the idea of a rebuild. theyve always had good management. they have a few bad contracts but nothing aggregious and long term. and some decent but not spectacular young talent.

naruto

Nov 13, 2017
It's hard to say because all of them are so bad. But I agree with you.

Montreal is so f***ed for the next decade with horrible young players, carey price for 10.5m. ugly ugly ugly.

Ottawa is also pretty screwed as their most valuable piece will probably walk or they won't get enough value for him. They are probably sending thier first to Colorodo next year and that could be a high one.

Buffalo has some talent atleast. Detroit hasn't shot themselves majorly in the foot yet like mtl and ott. And florida is kind of decent and already has what they need.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
It's hard to say because all of them are so bad. But I agree with you.

Montreal is so ****ed for the next decade with horrible young players, carey price for 10.5m. ugly ugly ugly.

Ottawa is also pretty screwed as their most valuable piece will probably walk or they won't get enough value for him. They are probably sending thier first to Colorodo next year and that could be a high one.

Buffalo has some talent atleast. Detroit hasn't shot themselves majorly in the foot yet like mtl and ott. And florida is kind of decent and already has what they need.
I agree but let's not focus on the really bad, as opposed to those with a little hope.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
How wants them to recover?
well I for one think it will make the division more interesting. havinf 3 if the best in the league is great but that's still 20 to 25 games by the end for the year against teams that don't belong in the NHL. it would be nice if a couple could at least become respectable.

that Tampa bay vs leafs game last night was incredibly entertaining.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
I agree but let's not focus on the really bad, as opposed to those with a little hope.

I dont think Florida really needs to recover , more like just get better. They have the pieces.

Detroit is in okay shape. They seem to have some decent youth. A couple top 3-5 picks wouldnt hurt though because they dont really have any game breaking players.

Ottawa, Buffalo, Montreal- Yuk

Montreal might bounce back next year, but even then if they make the playoffs it will be as a wild card if they are lucky

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008

This premise of this thread is a laughable, Habs are in much better shape than described.

One of the youngest teams in the league, 26 and under pieces:

Galchenyuk (23)
Drouin(22)
Gallagher(25)
Scherbak(22)
Lekhonen(22)
Hudon(22)
Danault(24)
Shaw(26)
Byron (26)
Mete(19)
Juulsen(20)
Jerabek(26)
Lindgren(23)

Some solid pieces that can fetch picks/prospects in :

Pacioretty
Weber
Petry
Price

The issue is the management team, a competent group could easily salvage this core especially with the amount of picks Habs have in the first three rounds in 2018.

I agree that Habs need to embrace the rebuild/retweak but if you have Detroit in there but not Montreal it screams of bias.

Last edited:

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
This premise of thistthread is a laughable, Habs are in much better shape than described.

Galchenyuk (23)
Drouin(22)
Gallagher(25)
Lekhonen(22)
Hudon(22)
Danault(24)
Shaw(26)
Byron (26)
Mete(19)
Juulsen(20)
Jerabek(26)
Lindgren(23)

Pacioretty
Weber
Petry
Price

The issue is the management team, a competent group could easily salvage this core especially with the amount of picks Habs have in the first three rounds in 2018.

I agree that Habs need to embrace the rebuild/retweak but if you have Detroit in there but not Montreal it screams of bias.

Having a young team is great if the young guys are actually any good. Outside of Galchenyuk, Drouin and Gallagher (all 2nd line players) you just listed a ton of 3rd/4th line players and bottom pairing D.

Also not a soul is taking on the Weber or Price contracts, Petry won't return a whole lot.

Montreal is likely in the worst shape in the league.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Sens season depends on Karlsson rebounding. You have some good pieces there - Stone, Duchene, Hoffman up front. Chabot has had a nice little rookie season, so there could be something there. But Karlsson is the driving factor. If his ankle can recover/he can get accustomed to it, like he did with his achilles injury, the Sens will be much better.

However, if we're taking everything into account, Ottawa is on the bottom of this list. The future looks dark with Melnyk looming as owner. The organization is in such rough shape, worse than people think. They are severely under-staffed, can't keep any front office staff.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
This premise of thistthread is a laughable, Habs are in much better shape than described.

Galchenyuk (23)
Drouin(22)
Gallagher(25)
Lekhonen(22)
Hudon(22)
Danault(24)
Shaw(26)
Byron (26)
Mete(19)
Juulsen(20)
Jerabek(26)
Lindgren(23)

Pacioretty
Weber
Petry
Price

is this supposed to impress people or make them pity you?
Nobody is going to say "Wow I thought the Habs were in bad shape, but that was before I realized Shaw and Byron were only 26!"

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
so much has been said about the Atlantic being so weak, despite having 3 of the top 6 teams in the league. the top 3 teams have been discussed ad nauseum.

my question - who do you think of the bottom 5 teams has the shortest road to recovery going forward.

things to take into consideration (everything):
state of NHL team.
contract situation
state of prospect base
management
ownership
anything else you seem appropriate.

my list, in order....

Florida - lots of good young players. they just botched up their d. done well a few players could turn them around quickly.

buffalo - a fair bit of good young talent. pegula is dedicated to winning. they need to find a good coach though. they should have kept ruff. his play style is actually suited to the game these days

Detroit - they seem to have embraced the idea of a rebuild. theyve always had good management. they have a few bad contracts but nothing aggregious and long term. and some decent but not spectacular young talent.
Florida is ahead of everyone else easily I'd say.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Same ole story with Florida.

Prospect pool looks good for the top9 forward department.
Next step is to develope those guys, Tippett-Borgstrom-Mascherin, to name a few into NHL players.

Big IF, but once they actually can have secondary scoring depth then they should at least be close to making the playoffs, barring another expansion draft.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Florida and Buffalo should be better. When the franchises get some stability theyll be fighting for playoffs.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Buffalo and Florida have good pieces to build around. Detroit has some interesting players. Ottawa has some hope because they have some valuable players. Montreal is completely hopeless

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
is this supposed to impress people or make them pity you?
Nobody is going to say "Wow I thought the Habs were in bad shape, but that was before I realized Shaw and Byron were only 26!"

Yeah because before winning the lottery and drafting Marner/Nylander the Leafs were in much better shape than the present Habs, right?

If anything the Leafs demonstrated what a few strong drafts and a bit of luck can do...
Why do Leafs fans have to consistently talk down on other teams players to make themselves feel better?

Holy inferiority complex Batman!

Reactions: KawaYui

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Montreal is a disaster, until Bergevin is gone and they accept that they won't get "full value" for Price and Weber, they're gonna continue to be mediocre (not awful).

Detroit is in a similar spot.

Buffalo could do well in the future, although a few of their guys are busting hard, we'll see what O'R and Kane net them.

Ottawa has a ton of good young and good vets, IMO they are the best off in the future, just need to trade Karlsson and get as much for him as they can, I would look to deal him this year and stock the f*** up.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Yeah because before winning the lottery and drafting Marner/Nylander the Leafs were in much better shape than the present Habs, right?

If anything the Leafs demonstrated what a few strong drafts and a bit of luck can do...
Why do Leafs fans have to consistently talk down on other teams players to make themselves feel better?

Holy inferiority complex Batman!
yeah Leafs fans are the ones with the complex
if you want to bank on being the next Leafs then fine, but I probably wouldn't. Your management isn't very good. And of course you're basically admitting that writing out names was pointless, since you're waiting to get real players like the Leafs did anyway

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Florida has Barkov who's 23 this year at 5.9m till 2021/22 (crazy), Huberdeau who's turning 25 this year at 5.9m till 2022/23 (also crazy), Trocheck who's also turning 25 this year at 4.75 till 2021/22 (come on stop it already), Ekblad who's 22 and I think gets underrated and is due for a bounce back year is at 7.5m till 2024/25.

They have good core pieces set for a very long time. They need a reliable goalie for the long term and the depth pieces to fill the team out with. I'd be surprised if they were not apart of the playoff race next year.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Same ole story with Florida.

Prospect pool looks good for the top9 forward department.
Next step is to develope those guys, Tippett-Borgstrom-Mascherin, to name a few into NHL players.

Big IF, but once they actually can have secondary scoring depth then they should at least be close to making the playoffs, barring another expansion draft.

If the expansion draft doesn't happen and the Panthers staff doesn't get blackout drunk and make the trades they did then I imagine they are a playoff team this year. Adding basically 60 goals between Marchessault and Smith would really help.

Reactions: Garbage Goal

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
yeah Leafs fans are the ones with the complex
if you want to bank on being the next Leafs then fine, but I probably wouldn't. Your management isn't very good. And of course you're basically admitting that writing out names was pointless, since you're waiting to get real players like the Leafs did anyway

Well your management wasn't very good either , so things can happen for your team but not others?
The names weren't pointless it serves to prove we are in much better shape than described and in better shape than the Leafs pre new management and Matthews.

Habs are missing the following:

Drouin - 1C - Gallagher
Lekhonen - Galchenyuk - Sherbak
Hudon - Danault - Shaw

Mete - 1D
4D - Petry
Jerabek - Juulsen

Price
Lindgren

I agree that these pieces are not easy to acquire but the Habs can trade the following pieces for picks and prospects:

Pacioretty
Weber (he has value , your own coach said so multiple times)
Byron
Plekanec
Benn

Habs also have 6 picks in the top 100 in 2018 to find some key players.
This is all dependant on new management , with proper vision and execution of a strong plan.
I find it ridiculous that you don't think other teams could replicate what the Leafs did as if it's some kind of mythical unicorn. Winning the lottery has a huge luck element I agree but far from impossible.

The point being with proper management as of today , Habs could be competitive again by 2019-2020. (but not contenders)

HabsFan76

Nov 3, 2011
Canada
Montreal is a disaster, until Bergevin is gone and they accept that they won't get "full value" for Price and Weber, they're gonna continue to be mediocre (not awful).

Detroit is in a similar spot.

Buffalo could do well in the future, although a few of their guys are busting hard, we'll see what O'R and Kane net them.

Ottawa has a ton of good young and good vets, IMO they are the best off in the future, just need to trade Karlsson and get as much for him as they can, I would look to deal him this year and stock the **** up.

Agree with your post except for the bolded part. Montreal has been bottom-tier team with a healthy Price and weren't much better with Weber as well before his injury. Those two alone aren't enough to keep the Habs from plummeting in the standings. Other than that Montreal needs a GM with a vision to build for the future otherwise I can't see the Canadiens rebuild succesfully.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
This premise of this thread is a laughable, Habs are in much better shape than described.

Galchenyuk (23)
Drouin(22)
Gallagher(25)
Scherbak(22)
Lekhonen(22)
Hudon(22)
Danault(24)
Shaw(26)
Byron (26)
Mete(19)
Juulsen(20)
Jerabek(26)
Lindgren(23)

Pacioretty
Weber
Petry
Price

I am not sure that group should have you excited for the future.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I am not sure that group should have you excited for the future.

I said they are good base for adding elite pieces , which with proper drafting and leveraging our older assets is possible.
It's all dependant on proper management , this is the main condition , without this I 100% agree Habs are heading no where.

I never said it's the next upcoming young team , I simply stated if you have Detroit up there , you have to at least discuss the Habs. I pointed out the bias of putting Detroit there and completly dismissing the Habs. It's especially rich when teams that have been bad for many years , start coming together only to bash other teams that they perceive trending down. This is why I mention the inferiority complex because it describes this behaviour exactly.

In fact as of today (in terms of future potential) I see the bottom 5 teams as:

Florida
Buffalo
Montreal
Ottawa
Detroit

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Yasuo

Sep 7, 2016
So Hall RNH Yakupov and now Draisatil Mcdavid Puljujarvi and a top 5 pick in 2018? This getting funny

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad