Confirmed with Link: The Riot | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
Bennett will definitely be traded after the season is over. That small comment he made sealed his fate even though it probably was already before that.

I don't think Kapanen will be around long either. I believe the Pens will deal him to CBJ for someone. The BJs GM loves him and the Pens haven't developed a player outside of the luck of drafting Crosby, Malkin, Staal, and Letang in the last 10 years. (Not counting Pouliot and Maatta yet due to development stages).

I don't trust the Pens having faith in much of their prospect pool.

So what you're saying is, long live Brian Rust and Andrew Ebbett!

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
So, given what has transpired, what does our youth look like going forward?

I think Bennett is as good as gone. I'm judging by the way he has been handled and that, because of family ties, they are going to do everything in their power to help Kapanen succeed.

I think Dumo has one foot out the door too. They don't appear to be high on him. I think they'll have Harry as a 1st callup next year.

I think our goaltending prospects are safe. I hope.

I worry a bit about Maatta. He could have a rough year next season, coming off of thyroid cancer and 2 shoulder surgeries in 8 months. That is 8-12 months just in recovery time. I hope they are more patient with him than they are with their other young players.

For this year's draft, we have a 2nd, 5th, 6th, and 7th.

DP seems like the only safe bet. He is the prized prospect and has an in with the coach. If he doesn't make it, it will be his own fault IMHO.

The rest of the prospects I had hope for, I could see them all being ****ed up by this org unless they have a big philosophical shift in how they treat young guys.

For instance, I think Blueger could really develop into something if he was brought along properly. However, I think they will find a way to **** him up, and I'm not talking about Hynes. He's just a guy that will need a good amount of time before I think he adjusts, but if he got that time, he could be something special. I see no way he will get that vote of confidence from this org.

It's pretty much why I rarely utter his name around here.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
So what you're saying is, long live Brian Rust and Andrew Ebbett!

tumblr_nguhgr7Ge81s6vpv3o1_500.gif

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
So, our biggest forward is Lapierre; 6'2", 215lbs

Our biggest defenseman is Ian Cole; 6'1", 219lbs.

8 players under 6 feet tall
19 players under 210lbs.

We may squeak through the 1st round, but there's no way this team of smurfs holds up for more than 8 or 9 games in the playoffs. Go team!

Edit: Contrast with the Capitals:

Players 6 feet tall and under: 4
Players under 210lbs: 7

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
[NHL]629204&catid=912[/NHL]

They probably decided to trade him when he used a bowl and ice tray for the ice bucket challenge.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
DP seems like the only safe bet. He is the prized prospect and has an in with the coach. If he doesn't make it, it will be his own fault IMHO.

The rest of the prospects I had hope for, I could see them all being ****ed up by this org unless they have a big philosophical shift in how they treat young guys.

For instance, I think Blueger could really develop into something if he was brought along properly. However, I think they will find a way to **** him up, and I'm not talking about Hynes. He's just a guy that will need a good amount of time before I think he adjusts, but if he got that time, he could be something special. I see no way he will get that vote of confidence from this org.

Funnily enough, I think Kapanen would benefit from our ****** system because he actually needs the attitude shift that they think all skilled players need.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Funnily enough, I think Kapanen would benefit from our ****** system because he actually needs the attitude shift that they think all skilled players need.

I don't think we can say anything the Pens do in terms of developing fwds will work, since they haven't even developed a fourth liner in the last 6 seasons.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
So what you're saying is to temper my expectations for Sundqvist...

I'd temper my expectations for all of them outside DP.

When two first round talents like DP and BB can't even be given a shot in an impact role, well, good luck to the rest of them.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario

19 players under 210lbs.

We may squeak through the 1st round, but there's no way this team of smurfs holds up for more than 8 or 9 games in the playoffs. Go team!

Pathetic. And, you know that some of the players' height and weight are generously listed.

Steve Downie is not 5'11". Beau Bennett is definitely not 6'2". Rob Scuderi is 6'1" my ass.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

19 players under 210lbs.

That's pretty pathetic.

SaturdayNightSlegr

Jan 2, 2009
Pittsburgh suburbs
When the Pens lose, this offseason they'll be committed to getting more strength and size on D. So, Martin and Erhoff will walk; and the Pens will attempt to trade for either J Johnson or Phaneuf; with some combination of Bennett/Sutter/Kunitz/YoungD/picks going the other way.

All the while, if Despres progresses, Anaheim could be developing their own cheaper and younger version of J Johnson or Phaneuf. :cry:

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Pathetic. And, you know that some of the players' height and weight are generously listed.

Steve Downie is not 5'11". Beau Bennett is definitely not 6'2". Rob Scuderi is 6'1" my ass.

Agreed. I'm 6'3" and Ovechkin is listed as 6'3" and I was clearly taller than him a few years ago standing next to him when he was at the SCF for TSN in Pittsburgh.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
When the Pens lose, this offseason they'll be committed to getting more strength and size on D. So, Martin and Erhoff will walk; and the Pens will attempt to trade for either J Johnson or Phaneuf; with some combination of Bennett/Sutter/Kunitz/YoungD/picks going the other way.

All the while, if Despres progresses, Anaheim could be developing their own cheaper and younger version of J Johnson or Phaneuf. :cry:

Yep I'm expecting Kapanen for Jack Johnson in the offseason or some Pejorative Slured move like that.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I guess deep down inside I knew that. It just took a cataclysmic event for it to truly come to the forefront.

My expectations have always been pretty reasonable based on what I've seen...

Despres - #3-4
Harrington - #4 but would be perfect with Letang
Dumo - #5
BB - playmaking winger that puts up 45-50
Sundqvist - third pivot with good two way game
Blueger - project top six fwd

Now it's like...

Despres - wasted
Harrington - maybe some hope...
Dumo - will prob be sold on the cheap next season if he struggles at all because of his waiver status
BB - wasted this summer
Sundqvist - have a little hope still I guess
Blueger - traded to Det or TB for a fourth rounder

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5

Despres - #3-4
Dumo - #5

Now it's like...

Despres - wasted
Dumo - will prob be sold on the cheap next season if he struggles at all because of his waiver status
BB - wasted this summer

All this young D, undeveloped and waiver status critical when they finally get a chance to show something. They show struggles, since it's the first time the training wheels have been let off, inconsistencies and the team cuts bait. Lather, rinse, repeat.

:banghead:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Despres - #3-4
Dumo - #5

Now it's like...

Despres - wasted
BB - wasted this summer

Why'd you have to post this in this thread?

:(

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Let's not even try to understand this trade. It'll just make our heads hurt. Hopefully, Lovejoy helps DP do whatever the hell he wants much like Fowler.

What'll probably happen though is DP will be scratched and Scuderi will be in our top four.

#experience
I hear you. I'm just going over things and wondering what other misconceptions I have. Is Winnik really just a rental? Will they try to extend Perron? Do they really like Sutter longterm?

Hopefully some of the guys are young enough that there is time for the organization to have an epiphany. If they don't, Sid and Geno are probably going to have a miserable end to their careers. You just can't buy teams in the cap era.

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria

Yeah it's so stupid. We spent almost 6 years on Despres and when he should be on the verge of becoming a permanent top 4 guy ( I think he was ready now) we piss him away for a guy 8 years older who's trade value is probably a 3rd rounder ( certainly had for a 2nd).

Now Lovejoy wasn't probably available for a pick but you can't tell me a player of his type wasn't available.

Despres could have netted a pretty good return if he was shopped properly. 29 teams in this league would want a young big cheap aggressive PMD.

Seriously why did this happen? I haven't liked every trade the Pens have done in the past but I've at least understood why they did it (even Morrow for Morrow) not this one though.

PS I love this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad