Player Discussion "The Real Deal" James Neal

What should we do with James Neal moving forward?

• Make room for him in the top 6

• Play him in the bottom 6

• Buy him out...put the savings to good use (re-sign Bear, AA, Ennis, Nuge etc)

• PP net front, but very limited minutes 5v5...he will need to accept it

• Huh, he's "The Real Deal"....dumb poll

• Trade him for another overpaid player: Ladd, Okposo, Erikkson, Loooch!

• "Convince" Seattle to take him

Results are only viewable after voting.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Still the best option for front of the net presence on PPs. Should not be seeing top 6 ES minutes going forward. There is no need to trade him for another overpaid winger. Maybe an overpaid C or Goalie.

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
Yeah he is gonna be on our pp. I would try him with Kassian and Haas. It would more or less resemble the McDavid Neal Kassian line. I believe Haas is a very good player and this line would be a good 3rd.

Reactions: SwedishFire

TennisBalls

Jan 14, 2013
Manhattan
I think he can work on a third line. He still has a nose for the net. I worry that an injured ankle means a hit to his foot speed though.

Emotive

Oct 6, 2017
I’d have no problem keeping him around for the PP and playoff experience. It seems more likely that if we want to get rid of his salary we would find a way to get Seattle to take him though, no?

destro909

Jan 3, 2008
I think in the short term they will play him in the bottom six at even strength and on the top PP. Then they'll "encourage" Seattle to take him in the expansion draft using picks/prospects

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Why wouldn't he be on the 1st unit PP? He's the best net-front guy we have.
The PP has been clicking good without him and having him on the 2nd unit spreads the wealth a bit. Either way, as long as he gets PP mins, it's. fine

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Yeah he is gonna be on our pp. I would try him with Kassian and Haas. It would more or less resemble the McDavid Neal Kassian line. I believe Haas is a very good player and this line would be a good 3rd.

Yes, the gap between McDavid and Haas is not that big as people might think.

I wish´d. But defensivly Haas could actually be the better player.
But giid line, 5 min of 5v5 every game is good enough

Reactions: Captain Controversy

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The PP has been clicking good without him and having him on the 2nd unit spreads the wealth a bit. Either way, as long as he gets PP mins, it's. fine

It's been doing good but would probably be better with Neal replacing Chaisson. Neal's one of the best in the league in front of the net.

Reactions: ujju2

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I thought he was actually playing a decent grindy possession game at even strength in December/January.

I don't think he'd be too bad on the third or fourth line.
I agree.

For me the answer to this depends on the options at hand. If there is a big money opportunity next year then moving Neal makes sense. But he is better than purely unused cap space and my sense is that unless the Oilers add someone significant they will have space to keep Neal.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
You let Tippett do his thing and let Holland do his thing.

Tippett's thing is to find a way to maximize the roster with the talent given.

Holland's is to wait until the right deal comes along and move him.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
A heavily slanted poll.

Not really much of a point in taking part unless you dislike the guy.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
It's been doing good but would probably be better with Neal replacing Chaisson. Neal's one of the best in the league in front of the net.

Agree... the Chaisson foot-wedge has been hit-or-miss lately.

I'd actually like to see Neal back on RW... he was there for the first few games where he was lighting it up... he shoots more from the off-wing.

Reactions: joestevens29

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Top unit PP, and on the "3rd" offensive line. When he's having a strong night move him up with AA and McDavid.

For the most part, I'd be tempted to chain him to Ennis at 5v5. Give him a quality playmaker to work with, even if he's not in the top 6.

Ennis-Haas-Neal sounds like a nice trio that can light the lamp behind the McDrai lines.

I'd also be tempted to hold him out for as long as possible to get healthy. Have him as fresh as possible for playoffs, and also (more importantly) screw Calgary out of the 3rd rounder. If injuries happen, then play him as needed; but otherwise... :naughty:

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerchon

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
I use him on the 3rd line with Sheahan and Archibald (assuming everyone else is healthy) and take Chiasson off the PP in favor of him.

Long-term though, we've got to find a way to move his contract, especially with Yamamoto getting a raise at the end of next season.

Reactions: JBear

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Agree... the Chaisson foot-wedge has been hit-or-miss lately.

I'd actually like to see Neal back on RW... he was there for the first few games where he was lighting it up... he shoots more from the off-wing.

Neal has said in interviews that he prefers playing RW because of that reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad