GDT: The Rat Gets His Game|CBJ vs Bruins|Game 4 Series 2|5-2-19 7:00 pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
If the Jackets draw the right conclusions from this game then Im convinced they can win 2 more games against Boston.

Nothing is over.

Even if they lose the next game, even then its not over.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
So... on Saturday we should do what we did Thursday and lost....

I say attack, Bob is all-world and can stop the Bruins..... If The CBJ don't score Boston will steal this series.... Boston is old, slow and tired... I say go after them, attack them as they did to us in game four..

The Bruins aren't old, don't know why you keep saying that. They're younger than the NHL average.

Reactions: Ladyfan

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
The Bruins aren't old, don't know why you keep saying that. They're younger than the NHL average.

And they aren't slow. They were faster to the puck most of the night. They may not have a true burner like Dzingel or Anderson but they are not slow.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Sounds like this was a stinker all things considered.

Torts needs to adjust his strategy of playing 3 forward lines. Doing that is pushing the forwards more towards the Bruins level of fatigue, and it’s unsustainable.

I’m confident they can bounce back. But they could really use Nash and Nuti back. And they need a different type of forward line in the bottom 6. I think Hannikainen would be exactly the kind of guy we need in our bottom 6 over Wennberg or Tex against a team like the Bruins. Tex would thrive against a different team like he did against Tampa, but Boston is just not a good matchup for him right now.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Torts did a very poor job of coaching. The Tex-Pooh-Bjork line was a joke and it imposed a heavier burden on the other lines. If Nash is available Saturday nite. Pooh should be back in upper deck watching the gamer. Hope Nuti is back. But Pooh needs to sit. He adds nothing.

We had no screens in front of Rask. We were not there for rebounds. Bob was not superman tonite. I can disregard Torts' post-game interview because it is obvious he is not giving away his real thoughts. and strategy. But I thought overall we played poorly. Hopefully they get it together for Saturday.
Huh? Bjork played with Bread and PLD. Dzingel-Wennberg-Tex played together in their cameo roles

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Nobody does. Torts doesn't either, he only gave them 5 minutes.

But I'm wondering why he put them together in the first place. Is it his plan to only use 3 lines? Or does he really think they will be better than they are?

There's a lot of different things that might work. Rotating in Anderson as you've mentioned. I'd much prefer Sedlak to Wennberg, or putting Nash in for Wennberg there. There's also swapping Dzingel and Foligno - restores the Dzingel - Duchene - Atkinson line and adds some heft to the 4th unit.
Yep. I think Torts had a three line game plan all along. And I’m now convinced Sedlak for Wennberg.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL

That’s not true, at least according to data from the start of the year. They were 8th-oldest in the league on opening night. Further, their age is largely in big-time players, not limited bottom six grinders (a la Dubi for us) Their captain is in his 40s. Three of their 4 leading regular season scorers are 33 (34 in two months), 30 (31 in a week), and 33. They just inserted a 35-year-old into the lineup.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
They are old, and we had so many breakaways and chances, had Bread or Cam been free vs Jenner totally different game. I don't blame Jenns though, dude is working his ass off and he did pot a breakaway game 2? I think he needs to drive the net and go for the last minute tuck in or deke and backhand short side top shelf. We just gave them back some confidence, time to snuff it out in front of their crowd.

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
Bergeron, Krejci, and Kuraly were a combined 30 of 44 on face-offs, for an average of 68.2%. Throw Coyle in and their four centers were 37 for 59 (62.7%). For me, that's where we lost the game. We need the puck more than we have it. We looked tired at the end, IMO, because we're chasing the game the entire night.

- Win face-offs, at least get to 50% there.
- Eliminate the dumb penalties.
- Rask has to be only slightly mortal.

Do those things and we're coming back to Columbus ahead 3-2.

Torts, feel free to mix up the D a bit too. I'm ready for #44.

Reactions: 213 Sentinel

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
I really hope that Anderson finds his game for the remainder of the playoffs. He did make a sweet behind the back pass to someone in game 4, but he hasn't had much of a presence this series. When he's flying around the ice and creating scoring chances, he's a dangerous player. IMO when he concentrates too much of the physical end, he loses a lot of his effectiveness. He needs to have that balance between physical and game breaking speed to be at his best.

Cam is off right now, but he can turn it on in a heart beat. I hope that heart beat happens in game 5.

If these two can contribute offensively, I think we have a very good chance of winning. If they stay in their short term funks, it's going to be difficult to beat the Booins.

Jenner has been creating so many chances, but just isn't finishing. I hope the odds catch up with him on his scoring chances.

I think this is right. It’s almost reminding me of the 2017 Pens series. It makes a little sense now (compared to no sense then) since the Bruins played a 7-game series last round and we knew we’d get to a longer series this time around (as opposed to against the Pens when we got down 2-0) but it’s time we focus on our game. It’s now only a best-of-three. Just hope the cumulative effects of last round and the first four games will finally catch up. Be physical, but within a structure.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
it's not rocket science. BJs can take these guys. Just stop with the stupid penalties.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I noticed the first period of game 3 that the CBJ had a good advantage in faceoff wins. Since that time Boston has been owning the faceoff circle. That needs to change.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Thought the CBJ played a great game, maybe just a little too aggressive which led to them penalties - which knocked them off their game.

In any event, they still played hard and had chances to tie it up - man, did Jenner ever have a lot of chances!
Plus Panarin (I believe?) hitting that post......

Stick to the game plan, as it has got them this far. They were still in the game up until the end....that being said, I'm really disappointed in how some fans here are reacting to the loss. Already writing the team off, holy **** - how can you really call yourself a CBJ fan if you're feeling that way after 1 loss, halfway through round 2? They're playing unbelievable hockey, and 1 loss sends you off the edge? Get real.

Back at it tomorrow night boys.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
That’s not true, at least according to data from the start of the year. They were 8th-oldest in the league on opening night. Further, their age is largely in big-time players, not limited bottom six grinders (a la Dubi for us) Their captain is in his 40s. Three of their 4 leading regular season scorers are 33 (34 in two months), 30 (31 in a week), and 33. They just inserted a 35-year-old into the lineup.

I went off this page: Boston Bruins 2018‑2019 Stats

Yeah some of their "old" guys are their best players. Foligno is 31, Bob is 30, Cam is 29. Does Boston having a few guys in their early 30s really swing the pendulum that much in the Jackets' favor? I don't buy it.

Also Chara is still a beast at 41.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
I went off this page: Boston Bruins 2018‑2019 Stats

Yeah some of their "old" guys are their best players. Foligno is 31, Bob is 30, Cam is 29. Does Boston having a few guys in their early 30s really swing the pendulum that much in the Jackets' favor? I don't buy it.

Also Chara is still a beast at 41.

Maybe there have been lineup changes, or somebody’s stats are off. I was going off this.
Oldest and Youngest NHL Teams of 2018-19 Season

I don’t think it’s a huge deal, but I do think they’ll be slightly more affected by a longer series than guys that are younger and it’s also in the context of having to play a 7-game series beforehand. That’s something our guys didn’t have to do. Chara is a beast, but Father Time is undefeated. I can’t believe he’s at least not waking up a little sore.

It’s not gonna be the main factor, but I have to think it’s at least a slight little something in our favor, which could be the difference in a tight game. I do worry Torts is canceling out the advantage a bit, particularly with Jones. He’s young, but still human, not a machine.

Reactions: Monk

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
One lucky goal wins very few games. I think they’ll shake this bad game off and play better on Saturday. This is all house money for me, they’ve far exceeded my expectations to this point. Doesn’t mean I’m not pulling for two more wins; but, after 19 mostly embarrassing years, I’m now convinced this team, from top to bottom, has opened a window on true success and will be an annual factor in the playoffs. Even if Davidson and all four FA leave, I’m confident that they’re finally headed in the right direction.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Bergeron, Krejci, and Kuraly were a combined 30 of 44 on face-offs, for an average of 68.2%. Throw Coyle in and their four centers were 37 for 59 (62.7%). For me, that's where we lost the game. We need the puck more than we have it. We looked tired at the end, IMO, because we're chasing the game the entire night.

- Win face-offs, at least get to 50% there.
- Eliminate the dumb penalties.
- Rask has to be only slightly mortal.

Do those things and we're coming back to Columbus ahead 3-2.

Torts, feel free to mix up the D a bit too. I'm ready for #44.
Face off wins are a tough stat. How many of those 37 wins did Boston keep possesion. How many were won and then Columbus gained possesion within 10 seconds. If you win a face off to the corner and Boston comes in a takes the puck from our defenseman in 5 seconds and centers it out front and they score does it matter we won the face off? If you do something right off the face off that matters,i.e. scoring or clearing the puck, I just don't think face offs are a big deal until maybe the late in the game and you need a goal. I would rather lose a face off and gain possesion quickly than win one and have the defenseman miss it and go back to our defensive zone.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
Well it was bound to happen, Boston was desperate and their 1st line finally showed up. They're going to need to be prepared because youre damn sure Duby's comment are going to be on the jumbo tron, add onto it a Saturday night and im willing to bet that arena will be rocking

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
Face off wins are a tough stat. How many of those 37 wins did Boston keep possesion. How many were won and then Columbus gained possesion within 10 seconds. If you win a face off to the corner and Boston comes in a takes the puck from our defenseman in 5 seconds and centers it out front and they score does it matter we won the face off? If you do something right off the face off that matters,i.e. scoring or clearing the puck, I just don't think face offs are a big deal until maybe the late in the game and you need a goal. I would rather lose a face off and gain possesion quickly than win one and have the defenseman miss it and go back to our defensive zone.

I agree that it can be misleading on it's own. Still, if I only get to start with the puck one out of every three sequences, over 60 minutes most games it's going to be an uphill battle.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Played very hard but their focus was on punishment physically rather than scoreboard. Play the game that has brought you success so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad