Speculation: The race for 97 points AKA the playoff push thread.

dcv2002

Jun 22, 2006
You are correct, I ment wouldn't.

As for us making the playoffs

National Hockey League Playoff Chances - Sports Club Stats

Has us at 99.5%. I believe they use a system that every team has an equal 50-50 shot of winning a game

The weighted system relies heavily on Goal Differential for which we are 6th in the league at +32. The 50/50 system would have us at 98.4% chance. Also, it has not been updated for last nights CBJ, PIT, and MTL wins.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
A big part of me hopes we finish second. For starters we get home ice advantage in the first round and secondly it still will put or draft pick in a decent position(21-25th)

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
I want to see a new banner for the 1st time in my adult life. I want the division!

I want a new banner for the first time ever! Washington is very hot right now but lost a game they led 2-0 late in the 2nd last night to a division rival. Would love to see them drop a few in a row. as someone mentioned, would be awesome to jump them when we play them the last wee of the season.

Reactions: SteveH124

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
We are 2 points out of first place with a game in hand. Sure they have been struggling lately, but every team goes on hot and cold streaks. For a team that has sucked lately, they have still managed to win 3 of their last 4 games. Washington has a tough schedule the rest of the way, if the isles play like they have most of the season, they will have a shot at stealing the division.

Idk, I’m not as convinced. We’ll see how it plays out.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Burned out? The only reason that is your observation is because of the timing. Every single team not named the Lightning have gone through a rough patch (or 5) during the course of the season. I personally feel the exact opposite. I think this rough stretch came at the right time. They have some time now to course correct and regain focus for the final push.

You definitely could be right but I think it is unlikely the team is burnt out after 69 games when Cup winning teams regularly play somewhere between 96 and 108 games. If by burnt out you are referring to mental over physical, you may be on to something, but I think mental energy and focus is easier to regroup and regain at this time of the season than physical would be

Just a theory. Could be mentally and physically, they’ve invested a lot in this season of adjustment.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
On Monday, 3/18, no team relevant to our playoff chances will be in action. Today through Sunday, here's what everyone has:

Islanders - MTL, @DET, @MIN
Penguins - @BUF, STL, PHI
Habs - @NY, CHI
Capitals - @PHI, @TBLightning
Hurricanes - @CLB, BUF
Jackets - CAR, @TBLightning

Reactions: Riseonfire

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
On Monday, 3/18, no team relevant to our playoff chances will be in action. Today through Sunday, here's what everyone has:

Habs - @NY, CHI
Hurricanes - @CLB, BUF

Prediction - mixed bag but Isles separate themselves from the wild card teams and 9th place but remain very tight with Caps and Pens for top 3 in the Metro.

Caps. 1-0-1. +3 points = 92
Islanders 2-1. +4 points = 91
Pens 2-0-1 +5 points = 90

Canes 1-0-1. +3 points = 86
Jackets 1-1 +2 points = 83
—————————————————
Habs 0-1-1. +1 point = 82

Last edited:

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Just a theory. Could be mentally and physically, they’ve invested a lot in this season of adjustment.

I think we will see tonight if the 2 days off helped them. Of course they immediately have 3 games in 4 days again. However they have an advantage on Sunday in that they have off 6 additional hours than the Wild and will basically be in St. Paul before the Wild even take the ice against the Rangers

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Suppose there is a NYI-WAS series this year. Anyone think having their old coach as our coach might help us out in the strategery department?

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Suppose there is a NYI-WAS series this year. Anyone think having their old coach as our coach might help us out in the strategery department?

Not really. The Caps play a more open style now. IMO they are easier to beat in a playoff series now than under Trotz because they’re just not that great defensively. They’ve mostly beaten bad teams in the last two weeks and haven’t looked spectacular in many of those games either. If you asked me right now I think Pittsburgh might win the division

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Not really. The Caps play a more open style now. IMO they are easier to beat in a playoff series now than under Trotz because they’re just not that great defensively. They’ve mostly beaten bad teams in the last two weeks and haven’t looked spectacular in many of those games either. If you asked me right now I think Pittsburgh might win the division

Despite the style they're playing, he will have insight into each specific players' strengths and weaknesses a bit more than someone who is just watching footage. I think that could be a pretty big factor.

Reactions: Riseonfire

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011

Habs - @NY, CHI
Hurricanes - @CLB, BUF
While not currently directly against us, the Leafs matter as well. Unless the Flyers have a remarkable stretch here if you finish above the Leafs you make the playoffs regardless of what MTL does

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
I want to see a new banner for the 1st time in my adult life. I want the division!
Question about the division banner. Is it the team that finishes first in the regular season to get the division banner or the last team standing from the division in the playoffs?

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Maybe a teeny, tiny bit. And don't forget, Reirden and his players know Trotz tendencies as well. Not a pivotal factor at all IMO.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I want first, and it’s very attainable. Washington has a rough schedule rest of the way

bstash19

Apr 8, 2012
long island
And we have that last game of the year in Washington.....

That game is a must win for us. As long as we go into that game within 2 points of the caps, I believe winning it would get us the division. (A win would have us split the season series and I believe the tie breaker is goal differential, of which ours is currently better)

Reactions: MJF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad