Speculation: The race for 97 points AKA the playoff push thread.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
It’s gonna be an interesting final game of the season if we are fighting for 2 and 3 with Pittsburgh or Carolina and Washington is up more than 2 on us. Do they stick it to Trotz and play Holtby and Ovie or do they pretty much sit 1/3rd of the roster and possibly hand us home ice while those other two teams play 10 and 11 seeds who will likely be trying to spoil things for them
Could you imagine if the final game of the season comes down to who finishes 1st in the division...us vs the caps?

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Watching Caps Pens.. Also noticed Pens/Caps/CBJ/Carolina/Philly playing each other or other good competition next few games.. Still on us to string some wins together to cement a home ice playoff spot.

Pulling for the Pens who are down 1-0 would love to get 1st still but as long as no OT.. smarter move might be to root for Caps to give us more breathing room for 2nd but not feeling it.

Bruins down 2-1 to Jackets.. need the Bs to stay hot..

ahhh been awhile since I was scoreboard watching with hopes of anything other than a WC

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Bruins are cooling off. They were on a tear but haven’t looked very good now their last three games

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
Pitt looked dead against Washington and then scored 3 quick goals to take the lead.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Watching Caps Pens.. Also noticed Pens/Caps/CBJ/Carolina/Philly playing each other or other good competition next few games.. Still on us to string some wins together to cement a home ice playoff spot.

Pulling for the Pens who are down 1-0 would love to get 1st still but as long as no OT.. smarter move might be to root for Caps to give us more breathing room for 2nd but not feeling it.

Bruins down 2-1 to Jackets.. need the Bs to stay hot..

ahhh been awhile since I was scoreboard watching with hopes of anything other than a WC
I want 1st.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
If Columbus somehow manages to lose this game in regulation that might be the beginning of the end for them. I’m not sure how you come back from that considering the media and fans are already all over them

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I like this thread, however I don't want to be WC1 or WC2. I'd like to be 1st in the Metro or at worst 2nd (for home ice at NVMC). Winning a round would be nice, y'know.

Reactions: Instant

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
I like this thread, however I don't want to be WC1 or WC2. I'd like to be 1st in the Metro or at worst 2nd (for home ice at NVMC). Winning a round would be nice, y'know.

Agreed, forget just making the playoffs. Win the division. 2 less points with a game in hand. No reason we cant do it. Let the penguins and caps beat the crap out of each other in the first round.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Sure I'd love first or second, but ultimately, I'll take a playoff appearance however we can get it. Make no mistake, it's going to be a dogfight just to get in.
In all honesty we need about 5 wins in 13 games to make it. It will be a dogfight trying to keep home ice advantage, I would say the same to just make the playoffs.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
In all honesty we need about 5 wins in 13 games to make it. It will be a dogfight trying to keep home ice advantage, I would say the same to just make the playoffs.
I assume you meant to write "wouldn't" where it says would. I wish I could agree with that but with the other teams as hot as they are and when our O struggles as much as it does and our PP is non-existent, every game we play, no matter the opponent or what their record, is a nailbiter. I guess what I am saying is our margin for error is very slim in both the macro and the micro; the macro of the closeness of the race as a whole and the micro given the closeness of virtually all our games.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I assume you meant to write "wouldn't" where it says would. I wish I could agree with that but with the other teams as hot as they are and when our O struggles as much as it does and our PP is non-existent, every game we play, no matter the opponent or what their record, is a nailbiter. I guess what I am saying is our margin for error is very slim in both the macro and the micro; the macro of the closeness of the race as a whole and the micro given the closeness of virtually all our games.

You are correct, I ment wouldn't.

As for us making the playoffs

National Hockey League Playoff Chances - Sports Club Stats

Has us at 99.5%. I believe they use a system that every team has an equal 50-50 shot of winning a game

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Agreed, forget just making the playoffs. Win the division. 2 less points with a game in hand. No reason we cant do it. Let the penguins and caps beat the crap out of each other in the first round.

Get real here. Sorry to piss in people’s corn flakes (or Frosted Flakes, whatever your preference); this team is trending downward. I, personally, don’t see that changing. Does that mean they lose out and acquire the 2nd WC, no. That said, they’ve been showing very bad signs and I see a team that’s burned out. Sadly.

Let’s be satisfied w the 3rd spot and a mtg. w/ the Pens or CBJ. JMHO.

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
Get real here. Sorry to piss in people’s corn flakes (or Frosted Flakes, whatever your preference); this team is trending downward. I, personally, don’t see that changing. Does that mean they lose out and acquire the 2nd WC, no. That said, they’ve been showing very bad signs and I see a team that’s burned out. Sadly.

No apologies needed, You missed my cornflakes. No need to doubt a team many thought were bottom five and now a win from 1st place nearly 70 games in. Bravo Isles!

Reactions: BelovedIsles

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
I believe the magic number is 18. CBJ and MTL are tied for last spot and play each other head on. Someone mathematically must miss at least one point

True. Never took that into consideration, but I think given that they're only in a virtual tie and one ha sa tiebreaker, I think the magic number only takes into consideration the team that is currently in 9th. Either way, could be wrong, but Isles win 9 of their last 13 and no scoreboard watching needed.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011

Burned out? The only reason that is your observation is because of the timing. Every single team not named the Lightning have gone through a rough patch (or 5) during the course of the season. I personally feel the exact opposite. I think this rough stretch came at the right time. They have some time now to course correct and regain focus for the final push.

You definitely could be right but I think it is unlikely the team is burnt out after 69 games when Cup winning teams regularly play somewhere between 96 and 108 games. If by burnt out you are referring to mental over physical, you may be on to something, but I think mental energy and focus is easier to regroup and regain at this time of the season than physical would be

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island

We are 2 points out of first place with a game in hand. Sure they have been struggling lately, but every team goes on hot and cold streaks. For a team that has sucked lately, they have still managed to win 3 of their last 4 games. Washington has a tough schedule the rest of the way, if the isles play like they have most of the season, they will have a shot at stealing the division.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad