The Quarantine Canteen Jukebox AKA The Music Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I have a soft spot for this one

I forgot how many good bands came out of UMass Amherst in the late 80s early 90s. There must have been something in the water back then.

Pixies, Dinosaur Jr., Lemonheads.......

A lot of people shit on the Lemonheads because Evan Dando was kinda of a pretty boy dickhead, but they were pretty damn good.

Reactions: Gordon Lightfoot

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I forgot how many good bands came out of UMass Amherst in the late 80s early 90s. There must have been something in the water back then.

Pixies, Dinosaur Jr., Lemonheads.......

A lot of people shit on the Lemonheads because Evan Dando was kinda of a pretty boy dickhead, but they were pretty damn good.

I had a couple Lemonheads albums. It’s A Shame About Ray was super good.

You’re Living All Over Me is one of the best albums I’ve ever hear in my life. It’s unbelievable

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Gonna change gears a little here, because this is an album that is a "must have" for any serious music aficionado. The first country music "concept album" ever created, and its never been equalled. Some would argue that its the greatest country music album ever made. I won't argue that. What makes it even more impressive is that most of the songs, including "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain" weren't written by Willie. They were covers that he arranged to make the story fit.

I'll never get tired of this record. You really have to listen to it from start to finish to get the full effect, but here are two of my favorites.

Reactions: BMC

Gordon Lightfoot

Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Okay should be going to sleep so I probably won’t reply until the morning, but isn’t Phases and Stages a concept album? I’m not sure why Red Headed Stranger is considered the first country concept album (I just listened to a podcast that said the sane thing, and I’ve read this sentiment before) when Willie had done one himself a year earlier. Shotgun Willie isn’t a concept album but I think Phases and Stages is one pretty clearly.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Phases and Stages is a concept album as well. Up until about 5 minutes ago I always thought it came out AFTER Red Headed Stranger. But it came out before, so you are correct my friend.

LOL. I just learned something. Thanks for that.

Phases and Stages is a great record as well.......Its just a little sadder. Doesn't quite have the redemption and happy ending that Stranger does.

Reactions: Gordon Lightfoot

Gordon Lightfoot

Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Phases and Stages is a concept album as well. Up until about 5 minutes ago I always thought it came out AFTER Red Headed Stranger. But it came out before, so you are correct my friend.

LOL. I just learned something. Thanks for that.

Phases and Stages is a great record as well.......Its just a little sadder. Doesn't quite have the redemption and happy ending that Stranger does.

I think I like Phases and Stages better but honestly that changes a lot. Both are incredible works. I agree Phases and Stages is sadder.

Gordon Lightfoot

Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Credit to these guys for sticking with such a ridiculous name for years, I guess. One of my favorite contemporary bands.

Reactions: Blowfish

aguineapig

Whoever said Rock n Roll can never die didn't send Badfinger the memo. The first band signed by the Beatles Apple label they had some big early 70's success. Day after Day was produced by George and he played slide guitar on the track. Paul wrote and produced Come and Get It.

The band was caught in the Apple label collapse and the band discovered their manager had left them nearly broke. In 1975 singer Pete Ham took his own life due to the toll. The band reformed in 1978, but in 1983 still under legal pressure bass player Tom Evans would resort to the same. The duo co-wrote this song that would later be a huge hit for others, Nilsson had a No 1 and Mariah Carey a hit as well. But Pete and Tom never hit their payday.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Whoever said Rock n Roll can never die didn't send Badfinger the memo. The first band signed by the Beatles Apple label they had some big early 70's success. Day after Day was produced by George and he played slide guitar on the track. Paul wrote and produced Come and Get It.

The band was caught in the Apple label collapse and the band discovered their manager had left them nearly broke. In 1975 singer Pete Ham took his own life due to the toll. The band reformed in 1978, but in 1983 still under legal pressure bass player Tom Evans would resort to the same. The duo co-wrote this song that would later be a huge hit for others, Nilsson had a No 1 and Mariah Carey a hit as well. But Pete and Tom never hit their payday.

Baby Blue was my favorite of their's.

Saw them at Dillon Stadium in Hartford, opening for Rod Stewart and Faces & Captain Beyond.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Gotta admit I'm kinda shocked that this board has gone 36 pages and nobody has posted anything on the Pixies.......and they're a Massachusetts band for cryin' out loud.

Two of my favorites:

honestly figured Where is my Mind would have been posted 12 times by now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad