The Quarantine Canteen Jukebox AKA The Music Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
My dad and I have been engaged in a rousing debate via text message about the best Steely Dan album.

front to back, I say Aja and he says Can’t Buy a Thrill.

we were supposed to go see Steely Dan and Steve Winwood in July but obviously that’s cancelled. Instead, Father’s Day weekend having a bbq, day at the pool and virtual concert at his house with the family.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
My dad and I have been engaged in a rousing debate via text message about the best Steely Dan album.

we were supposed to go see Steely Dan and Steve Winwood in July but obviously that’s cancelled. Instead, Father’s Day weekend having a bbq, day at the pool and virtual concert at his house with the family.

Check Donald Fagan's mordant memoir, Eminent Hipsters.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009

That's tough. I can't decide between Pretzel Logic and Countdown to Ecstasy.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Guy I went to school with is putting out music as part of a poppy/funky/hip hoppy duo. They’ve only started doing it recently so they don’t have a big following yet but idk, def seems like something you’d hear on a top 40 station

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
This Public Image Ltd album is in my top 20 albums ever. I love the bass on the whole thing.

Oh my, I bought this album b/c I was a huge Sex Pistols fan and was expecting something similar. Not only is it not similar, it was a huge disappointment. I think it's awful, not even sure it's music. Sounds like machinery.

I have a rather large record collection and I'm more inclined to put it in my bottom 20 than my top 20.

Different strokes I guess.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Everyone should know Pulp's catalogue, but I have to say that Jarvis's solo stuff is pretty darn good too.

Last edited:

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Oh my, I bought this album b/c I was a huge Sex Pistols fan and was expecting something similar. Not only is it not similar, it was a huge disappointment. I think it's awful, not even sure it's music. Sounds like machinery.

I have a rather large record collection and I'm more inclined to put it in my bottom 20 than my top 20.

Different strokes I guess.

Haha that's so funny. It's definitely different from the Sex Pistols. I think it shows that John Lydon is a great singer. When I first heard 'Memories' I was blown away.

Did you buy it when it came out? I can imagine that would have felt annoying. I found it early 2000's and I fell hard for it.

Can you imagine being a Lou Reed/VU fan in the 70's and buying Metal Machine Music? That is what you put on to break up a party.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Haha that's so funny. It's definitely different from the Sex Pistols. I think it shows that John Lydon is a great singer. When I first heard 'Memories' I was blown away.

Did you buy it when it came out? I can imagine that would have felt annoying. I found it early 2000's and I fell hard for it.

Can you imagine being a Lou Reed/VU fan in the 70's and buying Metal Machine Music? That is what you put on to break up a party.

I discovered the Sex Pistols a little late, like early eighties and I was teenager at that time so it really spoke to me. I went on a rampage buying up anything Sex Pistols related without even having heard a single song from the Albums . I'd pay like 40$ (that was a lot of money back then) for import albums that turned out to be them sittin' around shootin' the shit. PIL 2nd Edition was one of those albums. To be honest the whole lot of them were mostly garbage other than The Great Rock n' Roll Swindle and Flogging a Dead horse and later the stuff Jones and Cook did with The Professionals . But Yeah, I had to laugh when I saw your post. Cheers.

I see what you mean about the Lou Reed stuff, lol.

Reactions: GordonHowe

Trizz617

Jan 5, 2018
Boston/Quebec
soundcloud.com

Aja is certified smoothness and one of the best produced albums I've ever heard. With that being said, The Royal Scam album could give Aja a run for the money. Can't really go wrong with any of The Dan's material or Fagen's solo stuff either.

aguineapig

Richard Dobson's answer to whether Bobby or Beliveau wore Number 4 better. It was Bobby by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad