Prospect Info: The Prospect Thread (Part XXXII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
It's grammatically correct to say that he 'was' a great player for this team in the past. I think. I'm a grammar Nazi and that's a weird one for me.

You are correct in that he "was" a player for the team, since he no longer plays for them.

However, Ciff never stopped being the kid's father and since he's still alive he's who the kid's father "is". It would only be "was" if the father was deceased.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You are correct in that he "was" a player for the team, since he no longer plays for them.

However, Ciff never stopped being the kid's father and since he's still alive he's who the kid's father "is". It would only be "was" if the father was deceased.

Yeah, but in this sense the 'was' isn't referring to his father-ness but who he was as a Canuck. And saying 'because of who his father was as a Canuck' is unquestionably correct so ... does it become incorrect if you drop 'as a Canuck'? I don't think so, but I'm not sure.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Ty Ronning is putting up 0.81ppg in his Draft Year + 2 season.

For reference, Abols put up 0.79 ppg in his Draft Year + 2 season in the same league and at least has an NHL frame.

I don't love the Abols pick but I have to be honest, it absolutely blows my mind that people think Ronning is some sort of amazing player and the guy we really blew it by not selecting.

Gallagher's Draft Year + 2 season? 1.43 ppg. Ronning isn't even on the same planet talent-wise.

This is Ronning's draft + 1 not draft +2

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
This is Ronning's draft + 1 not draft +2

It is his draft year + 2 season. He is a '97 born and was eligible in the 2015 draft following the 2014/2015 season. Its 2 years later.

I am comparing all the players at equivalent points in development.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It is his draft year + 2 season. He is a '97 born and was eligible in the 2015 draft following the 2014/2015 season. Its 2 years later.

I am comparing all the players at equivalent points in development.

He's an October birthday so was not eligible in 2015.

Either way, it's his last year of junior, isn't very good, and the obsession with him is bizarre.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I agree that Ty Ronning sucks and think that Canuck fans pointing to that like it's some huge missed opportunity are out to lunch.

Last edited:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I agree that Ty Ronning sucks and think that Canuck fans pointing to that like it's some huge missed opportunity are out to lunch.

I find hand wringing about not drafting Ty Ronning is a great way to find out if someone is a *casual* hockey fan.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I wanted ronning but am i really a casual fan?

Depends where you wanted him I guess. I have a few buddies who would always bring him up when the draft was mentioned and practically begged for the Canucks to take him in the 2nd or 3rd round, mainly cause he was a familiar name and didn't know anyone else in the draft.

And no, you're obviously not a casual fan but I'm guessing you had him pegged in the 6th or 7th round. Big difference.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I wanted ronning but am i really a casual fan?

I know you're not. But I have to ask ... why?

Ronning is a pretty good little player at the WHL level but he's a dime-a-dozen 50-60 point undersized CHL player. To succeed as an undersized guy, you have to be an absolutely elite talent and he just ... isn't.

Matt Phillips and David Quenneville, on the other hand, are elite talents. Quenneville might be the most purely talented 1998-born defender on the planet. Phillips' skating and skills are Gaudreau-esque. Both are probably top-10 pure talents in the draft that teams stole in the 6th-7th round. Ronning is just a future ECHLer in my eyes.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
I wanted Ronning because the draft is a crapshoot, there are a dime a dozen undersized CHL players that rack up points. Some of them can actually turn into NHL players.

Really whats the harm in taking a guy in the 6th or 7th round? Does Ronning have less NHL potential then Abols? Really?

It's the exact same reason I was high on Tyler Soy.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I would have been very happy if we drafted Soy. Would be nice to finally have a Canucks prospect on the Royals to follow.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I wanted Ronning because the draft is a crapshoot, there are a dime a dozen undersized CHL players that rack up points. Some of them can actually turn into NHL players.

Really whats the harm in taking a guy in the 6th or 7th round? Does Ronning have less NHL potential then Abols? Really?

Except Ty Ronning really didn't "rack up points" last year despite being on the older side for the draft and getting top minutes with the Giants. Since he was local I (and many others I'm sure) actually got to see him live quite a bit and other than his hands, there was really nothing stand out about his game. For a guy who is already super undersized (his frame is like a 15 year old) there just wasn't enough in other areas to make him that appealing.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I agree with this completely. You should absolutely be swinging for the fences on talent that produces.

But Ronning didn't really produce or 'rack up points', and still isn't. 59 points for a guy in his 3rd year in the league isn't impressive at all.

Again I agree, but don't really get how this applies to Ronning, and I don't think he would have been mentioned on this board a single time if his name was Ty Smith and he played for the Calgary Hitmen.

Tyler Soy scored 46 goals and is 3 inches taller with a better two-way game. He was a far, far better option. I couldn't believe he wasn't picked in 2015, to be fair.

I don't think Abols was a good pick, either, for the record.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
I agree with this completely. You should absolutely be swinging for the fences on talent that produces.

But Ronning didn't really produce or 'rack up points', and still isn't. 59 points for a guy in his 3rd year in the league isn't impressive at all.

Again I agree, but don't really get how this applies to Ronning, and I don't think he would have been mentioned on this board a single time if his name was Ty Smith and he played for the Calgary Hitmen.

Tyler Soy scored 46 goals and is 3 inches taller with a better two-way game. He was a far, far better option. I couldn't believe he wasn't picked in 2015, to be fair.

I don't think Abols was a good pick, either, for the record.

Wouldn't see me complaining if we took Ty Smith or Tyler Soy. Just against Abols it's easy to point to someone that everybody has some familitary to and say; "What's up with that, why not that guy?". If we had more 7th round picks whats the harm in taking flyers at some of these small local guys.

I really don't think we are on different sides of this argument. I'd say we should take more flyers on smaller skilled players, like Soy/Smith/Ronning (Soy is lanky thus "small") in the later rounds instead of these laboring oafs (Mackenzie).

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Where the hell did Sam Steel come from. After last year everyone thought he was a meh prospect with low upside. Hes 2ppg now.

I knew he was a high pick in junior but thats good to see he turned it around.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Where the hell did Sam Steel come from. After last year everyone thought he was a meh prospect with low upside. Hes 2ppg now.

I knew he was a high pick in junior but thats good to see he turned it around.

Happens every year

Steel last year
Boeser the year before
Pasternak the year before that

Late 1st rounders that would just explode in their draft +1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad