Prospect Info: The Prospect Thread (Part XXXII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
Sat Dec 3

AHL

Albany 1 Utica 3
Demko 28 saves on 29 shots

Demko now 6-4-1, GAA 2.52, SV% 0.911

Darren Archibald (7) ASST: None (SH)
Carter Bancks (4) ASST: Pascal Pelletier (1), Colby Robak (11) (PP)
Carter Bancks (5) ASST: Cody Kunyk (4), Colby Robak (12) (PP)

ECHL

Alaska 2 Idaho 3 (SO)
Moynihan 1 assist, -1 (did not score on his shootout attempt)
Stewart 0 points, even

NCAA

Boston College 3 North Dakota 4
Boeser did not play

OHL

Kingston 3 Hamilton 2 (SO)
Candella 0 points, even

QMJHL

Val-d'Or at Charlottetown postponed

WHL

Calgary 5 Moose Jaw 7
Stukel 1 assist, even

Victoria 2 Prince George 1
Olson 0 points, even

S_C

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
With a goal and 2 assists today, Rodrigo Abols is now at a point-a-game pace (17 in 17). He's had a few multiple point games recently. He's obviously a long shot, but it'll at least be interesting if he keeps this up.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Demko starting to settle in it seems like. Posting up good stats.

Seems like he's been on a role for a few games now. 1.37 GAA and 0.951 SV% in his last 6 games after a 3.48 GAA and 0.876 SV% in his first 6 games.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
With a goal and 2 assists today, Rodrigo Abols is now at a point-a-game pace (17 in 17). He's had a few multiple point games recently. He's obviously a long shot, but it'll at least be interesting if he keeps this up.

He pretty much has to be PPG+ to have a chance at the next level IMO.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Considering he is 20 years old and still playing CHL, I'd say PPG is well below what Abols would need to do to be a viable prospect. Remember Dane Fox and his 60+ goals as an overager? Became a decent ECHLer.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Abols shouldnt even be mentioned as a prospect lol. Even going back to playing an overage year means hes not a legitimate prospect.

The only player i can even remember in recent times whose gone back to play an overage year after being drafted whose a legit prospect is Kevin Labanc.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Still baffled as to why the Canucks expended a seventh-rounder on this guy, who they could easily has signed as a FA after the draft....he had one good prospects tournament and I guess they figured somebody else would sign him....but an over-ager in the Q is a longshot to even get a contract no matter what numbers he puts up.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005

Yes, he'll have to do better than PPG, considering his age. He has indeed been doing so the past few games, but that's not much.

But I'm always curious about the long shots.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Let's just hope passing over on Ronning doesn't screw this franchise as bad as passing on Gallagher did.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Honestly, the only two picks in the 2016 draft that I consider worse than the Abols pick are Logan Stanley and Keaton Middleton. The guy is an unproductive slug whose absolute best case (and extremely unlikely) scenario is ending up an offensively inept 4C of the Jordan Nolan mold.

Nice to see him doing well with Bathurst but he's never going to play in the NHL.

Last edited:

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
Abols was a delorme special.

Only Delorme would value Abols over Ronning

Abols is having a decent season but I think that's from the linemates.

Hopefully the Front Office move they are calling for is firing him.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Abols is a player you take a bet on in the 7th round, and has a bit of a special case in terms of development, he produced in the KHL at a very young age, and has only played about 70-80 junior games despite being 20 years old. He's still acclimating himself to North America and smaller rinks and is producing at PPG. He can turn out to be a good 4th line Center which is an excellent return for a 7th round pick

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
Abols is a player you take a bet on in the 7th round, and has a bit of a special case in terms of development, he produced in the KHL at a very young age, and has only played about 70-80 junior games despite being 20 years old. He's still acclimating himself to North America and smaller rinks and is producing at PPG. He can turn out to be a good 4th line Center which is an excellent return for a 7th round pick

Here's the thing though - his limited production despite his age means that even the likelihood of being a fourth liner is negligible at best. And if all you ever aim for in the seventh round is a guy that could be a fourth liner, you're never going to do any better.

A guy like Soy or Quenneville, though they are equally unlikely to hit their potential, have the production and skillsets (both are important) to suggest they could be impact players at the next level. Abols does not - he's the result of an inherently flawed late-round philosophy that has produced no-upside gems like Stewart and Pettit.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Considering he is 20 years old and still playing CHL, I'd say PPG is well below what Abols would need to do to be a viable prospect. Remember Dane Fox and his 60+ goals as an overager? Became a decent ECHLer.

He currently has 7G and 10A in 19 GP with the ECHL Missouri Mavericks, the ECHL affiliate of the Islanders. Remember he was traded near the end of last season to the Charlotte Checkers for future considerations. Charlotte is the AHL affiliate of the Carolina Hurricanes and their ECHL affiliate is the Florida Everblades. The Checkers released him at the end of last season and he signed with Missouri as a free agent this season.

What considerations to you think Benning will get from Charlotte now that he's not even there?

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Ty Ronning sucks. Guy is headed straight for the ECHL and nobody here would give a rats ass about him if it wasn't for who his dad was. I'd probably rather have Abols.

The two hugely skilled but small WHL players we whiffed on last year were Matt Phillips and David Quenneville.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Agreed, overrating a player based on where he plays, and who his father was.

Ty Ronning sucks. Guy is headed straight for the ECHL and nobody here would give a rats ass about him if it wasn't for who his dad was. I'd probably rather have Abols.

The two hugely skilled but small WHL players we whiffed on last year were Matt Phillips and David Quenneville.

I'm going to make one of "those" posts. Pretty sure Cliff is still kicking. :laugh:

Sorry...I was willing to let the first one go...

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm going to make one of "those" posts. Pretty sure Cliff is still kicking. :laugh:

Sorry...I was willing to let the first one go...

It's grammatically correct to say that he 'was' a great player for this team in the past. I think. I'm a grammar Nazi and that's a weird one for me.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site

Let's just hope passing over on Ronning doesn't screw this franchise as bad as passing on Gallagher did.

Ty Ronning is putting up 0.81ppg in his Draft Year + 2 season.

For reference, Abols put up 0.79 ppg in his Draft Year + 2 season in the same league and at least has an NHL frame.

I don't love the Abols pick but I have to be honest, it absolutely blows my mind that people think Ronning is some sort of amazing player and the guy we really blew it by not selecting.

Gallagher's Draft Year + 2 season? 1.43 ppg. Ronning isn't even on the same planet talent-wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00