Prospect Info: The Prospect Thread Part - XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

RingWraith

May 3, 2003
New Westminster
So why are all of these other Comets in Calgary with the Canucks? Subban wasn't even given a chance despite having a great camp and prospects tournament?

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
So why are all of these other Comets in Calgary with the Canucks? Subban wasn't even given a chance despite having a great camp and prospects tournament?
<shrug> Looks like maybe they want him to take on a more key role in Utica? (link)
The Province said:
Intriguing diminutive defenceman Jordan Subban, a fourth-round 2013 draft pick, was sent to the Comets on Tuesday. He piled up 25 goals and 52 points for the OHL’s Belleville Bulls last season and was a real camp curiosity.

Lyon changes it,” Desjardins said of the shorter evaluation time for AHL-bound players. “It’s such an athletic family that surprises you a lot with how competitive they are. We felt there was a need to get him (Subban) going to where he could establish himself.

“But you can never count him out. There are many good genes, and passion will carry you a long way.”

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
<shrug> Looks like maybe they want him to take on a more key role in Utica? (link)

What a stupid reason. There's tons of CHL/NCAA players who take one key roles joining AHL teams during the middle of a season, missing the first few games won't prevent Subban from having a key role if he's good enough for one.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
What a stupid reason. There's tons of CHL/NCAA players who take one key roles joining AHL teams during the middle of a season, missing the first few games won't prevent Subban from having a key role if he's good enough for one.
What's the purpose in keeping him up though? He's definitely not beating out Edler, Tanev or Hamhuis and I think it's pretty safe to say he's not beating out Weber or Bartkowski yet either. That leaves Sbisa and Corrado and I think Corrado is further along. I'd rather he plays a key offensive role in Utica and is given extra time to work on the little details to make a serious challenge next year.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
What's the purpose in keeping him up though? He's definitely not beating out Edler, Tanev or Hamhuis and I think it's pretty safe to say he's not beating out Weber or Bartkowski yet either. That leaves Sbisa and Corrado and I think Corrado is further along. I'd rather he plays a key offensive role in Utica and is given extra time to work on the little details to make a serious challenge next year.
One day doesnt make him better off in utica.
Keeping your top prospects around the pros and giving them games for their strong performances might though.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville

Good post.

He earned at least one game with his performance in Penticton. Aren't they supposed to reward players for good performances? Is one single pre season game really too much to ask for?

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Good post.

He earned at least one game with his performance in Penticton. Aren't they supposed to reward players for good performances? Is one single pre season game really too much to ask for?

Exactly. He was our best D-man in Penticton (and I'd say one of our best players overall). It's perfectly understandable that fans would want to see him in action against low-end NHL'ers at the very least when there's nothing to lose.

Skriko

Jul 27, 2014
I think they like Hutton more too:

http://www.theprovince.com/touch/sp...resses+canucks/11388580/story.html?rel=894638

But yeah, why not give to Subban that one game?

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006

What's the purpose of preseason? What's the purpose of keeping any prospect with this logic? 99% of the players playing the young stars tourney won't be beating anyone on the roster anyway, just like it is every year. This roster has been set in stone since august so that reasoning is terrible.

The main issue here is that this management team - the same who identified Luca Sbisa as a good player, targeted and signed him to a ridiculous contract and keeps playing him a lot even though he is the arguably the worst player in the NHL - saw Hutton outplaying Subban in the tournament, which obviously was not the case.

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
The main issue here is that this management team - the same who identified Luca Sbisa as a good player, targeted and signed him to a ridiculous contract and keeps playing him a lot even though he is the arguably the worst player in the NHL - saw Hutton outplaying Subban in the tournament, which obviously was not the case.

The issue isn't so much whether Hutton was outplaying Subban. I mean, he does have a more pro-ready size and the difference in play wasn't huge, ultimately (discounting the age difference).

The real joke in all this is that last season they let Hutton go from the AHL because they didn't consider him good enough to warrant a spot. He could've been so much further ahead in development by now. What a complete blunder.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
The issue isn't so much whether Hutton was outplaying Subban. I mean, he does have a more pro-ready size and the difference in play wasn't huge, ultimately (discounting the age difference).

I don't know about that. Subban is more ready physically to match up against NHL players than Hutton and was the guy leading that pair against prospects. There's no reason to believe he wouldn't perform better against better players even if he is shorter.

Again, it's about giving the chance to see how that plays out. No one is saying he is ready for the NHL, but he did way more than enough to deserve a look at the preseason.

The real joke in all this is that last season they let Hutton go from the AHL because they didn't consider him good enough to warrant a spot. He could've been so much further ahead in development by now. What a complete blunder.

Yep. Same as with McCann. Garbage like Bancks and Hamilton should never be played ahead of top prospect like that. Hell, by all means McCann should be the better AHL player already than those guys. There's just zero sense in everything this organization does.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
I don't know about that. Subban is more ready physically to match up against NHL players than Hutton and was the guy leading that pair against prospects. There's no reason to believe he wouldn't perform better against better players even if he is shorter.

Again, it's about giving the chance to see how that plays out. No one is saying he is ready for the NHL, but he did way more than enough to deserve a look at the preseason.

Yep. Same as with McCann. Garbage like Bancks and Hamilton should never be played ahead of top prospect like that. Hell, by all means McCann should be the better AHL player already than those guys. There's just zero sense in everything this organization does.
Taking a different tack than this team has done development in the past is wise. I'm interested in seeing if this style insulating rookies and young players with Vets and pros at all levels works.

We certainly needed a change in how we develop players.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

Yeah, it was a waste of a golden development opportunity to go on a long playoff run for those guys and for McCann and Hutton to get all of 4 games combined was an absolute joke.

arsmaster*

Hilarious that people want a change in philosophy when kids like shinkaruk, McCann and Gaunce are out performing guys like baertschi, vey and Prust but we already know who's making the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad