Prospect Info: The Prospect Thread Part - XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wow...after a slow start Ben Hutton was beasting it up by the end of tonight's pre-season game with the Sharks.....looking forward to the day when both Hutton and Tryamkin in staples on the 'Nucks blueline.....great wheels on both.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Wow...after a slow start Ben Hutton was beasting it up by the end of tonight's pre-season game with the Sharks.....looking forward to the day when both Hutton and Tryamkin in staples on the 'Nucks blueline.....great wheels on both.

Can't agree there. He looked very good in Penticton when he and Subban were able to control possession and he didn't have to defend much ....

But he was awful last night. Constantly on the wrong side of the puck defensively, positionally poor, shaky moving the puck.

Hopefully it was just nerves because he did look a bit more confident moving the puck in the 3rd but this wasn't a good start for him at all.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Can't agree there. He looked very good in Penticton when he and Subban were able to control possession and he didn't have to defend much ....

But he was awful last night. Constantly on the wrong side of the puck defensively, positionally poor, shaky moving the puck.

Hopefully it was just nerves because he did look a bit more confident moving the puck in the 3rd but this wasn't a good start for him at all.

He was definitely a step behind. Hopefully he can adapt. Needs the year in Utica though.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009

I actually can't agree there...

Your description is exactly how he started the game- scared! He looked lost and overwhelmed.

And then he started to settle down and showed signs of faster decision making and movement that was more at the level. He was more and more comfortable on and off the puck as the game went on.

He displayed the skating, strength, and skills of a good player at this level by the end of the game. That does not mean to say it wasn't in a package with a foundation of nerves, but the tools were clear.

No doubt he needs a year in Utica, but by the end of the game, I could see a future NHL player out there. If the growth and learning occurs that quickly, the fear will disappear and the tools will shine through.

Of course, this is a big if.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
Towards tbe end of the game the puck was sticking to his stick like glue. Defense is still a WIP obviously. Also his shot selection needs work.

Early in the game you could tell he was surprised by how little space he had. A couple of his go to college plays failed and you could see the frustration. Seemed to be adapting though.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I actually can't agree there...

Your description is exactly how he started the game- scared! He looked lost and overwhelmed.

And then he started to settle down and showed signs of faster decision making and movement that was more at the level. He was more and more comfortable on and off the puck as the game went on.

He displayed the skating, strength, and skills of a good player at this level by the end of the game. That does not mean to say it wasn't in a package with a foundation of nerves, but the tools were clear.

No doubt he needs a year in Utica, but by the end of the game, I could see a future NHL player out there. If the growth and learning occurs that quickly, the fear will disappear and the tools will shine through.

Of course, this is a big if.

He was out of position, behind the play and scrambling on nearly every shift in the first two periods. And moved the puck poorly. Those first two periods literally could not have gone any worse.

He stabilized it a bit in the 3rd but still looked hardly outstanding. Completed a couple passes and skated up ice well once. But compared to a guy like Jeremy Roy on SJ he didn't have a good debut at all.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
He was out of position, behind the play and scrambling on nearly every shift in the first two periods. And moved the puck poorly. Those first two periods literally could not have gone any worse.

He stabilized it a bit in the 3rd but still looked hardly outstanding. Completed a couple passes and skated up ice well once. But compared to a guy like Jeremy Roy on SJ he didn't have a good debut at all.

Yup... See, two different ways of looking at a situation.

1) Agreed, he started the game scared and overwhelmed. You choose to suggest this means he was poor.

2) We seem to agree, he got better as the game wore on. You seem to compare him to a player who was ineffective, IMO, in Roy. I instead think, "interesting player this Hutton. He is adapting, skating away from pressure, and showing some skills."

3) We both agree it wasn't a "Good Debut." Not sure if you are implying I said it was.

4) The biggest difference is I saw growth within a game and a skill set to be positive about. You saw a negative start and choose to be only critical.

One seems Grumpy and negative to me:sarcasm: and the other perspective seems constructive and hopeful:nod:

Hope you are having a great day MS:)

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yup... See, two different ways of looking at a situation.

1) Agreed, he started the game scared and overwhelmed. You choose to suggest this means he was poor.

2) We seem to agree, he got better as the game wore on. You seem to compare him to a player who was ineffective, IMO, in Roy. I instead think, "interesting player this Hutton. He is adapting, skating away from pressure, and showing some skills."

3) We both agree it wasn't a "Good Debut." Not sure if you are implying I said it was.

4) The biggest difference is I saw growth within a game and a skill set to be positive about. You saw a negative start and choose to be only critical.

One seems Grumpy and negative to me:sarcasm: and the other perspective seems constructive and hopeful:nod:

I was hugely positive about Hutton's performance in Penticton and am hardly being down on him. I think he'll go to Utica and do well.

But his game last night stunk. He was the worst defender on the ice for either team. You can take positives out of his prospects tourney but there weren't really any positives last night - he looked overwhelmed and was awful defensively. It's only one game but all you can do is comment on that one game.

If you read my comments after the game, I was again hugely positive about Gaunce, Markstrom, and Grenier. All looked very good. Hutton did not, at all.

Roy was terrific for an 18 y/o. Moved the puck quickly and accurately on the breakout and wasn't exposed defensively.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
I was hugely positive about Hutton's performance in Penticton and am hardly being down on him. I think he'll go to Utica and do well.

But his game last night stunk. He was the worst defender on the ice for either team. You can take positives out of his prospects tourney but there weren't really any positives last night - he looked overwhelmed and was awful defensively. It's only one game but all you can do is comment on that one game.

If you read my comments after the game, I was again hugely positive about Gaunce, Markstrom, and Grenier. All looked very good. Hutton did not, at all.

Roy was terrific for an 18 y/o. Moved the puck quickly and accurately on the breakout and wasn't exposed defensively.

did we watch the same game? I thought he looked good.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC

Roy was a 31st overall pick. Hutton was a 5th rounder. Nobody expected him to be ready for NHL hockey. He'll obviously need seasoning in the AHL.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
did we watch the same game? I thought he looked good.

I was watching him very closely and he was out of position on nearly every shift through the first two periods. Constantly caught high and chasing guys behind him and looking completely unsure in his defensive coverage. Almost all the contained pressure and chances San Jose had in this game were off of his play.

Roy was a 31st overall pick. Hutton was a 5th rounder. Nobody expected him to be ready for NHL hockey. He'll obviously need seasoning in the AHL.

Roy is 18. Hutton is 22.

Hutton should look better at this level at this point. And again, it's only one game. All we can do is comment on the one game.

How defensive people get when you say something negative about how a prospect played is ridiculous.

arsmaster*

Roy is 18, Hutton is 22.

It should not be a big deal to constructively criticize Hutton's game. He showed some skills, but looked like a deer in headlights most of the game.

Here's hoping he's more comfortable tonight.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
People can't handle the truth. Need to insert every bit of constructive criticism in a compliment sandwich like grade school.

Ha, I even tried using the s*** sandwich because I knew people would over-react. Happened anyway.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010

there's literally nothing constructive about "Maybe he'll get better!". this is ridiculous.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Roy is 18, Hutton is 22.

It should not be a big deal to constructively criticize Hutton's game. He showed some skills, but looked like a deer in headlights most of the game.

Here's hoping he's more comfortable tonight.

:)

Me thinks you are reading my comments with a slanted perspective. Nothing wrong with constructive or even blatantly direct/nasty criticism (not that MS did that here), and it seems like we all agree.

But I actually am encouraged by him "showing some skills" and adapting as the game went on.

I am looking forward to the day that one of these defensive prospects, just one, actually comes through as an NHL player.

Last night, I actually developed some hope that this deer in headlights (and he looked like that for the first block of the game) might actually adapt with that skill set. Just hope. No fanboy cheerleading. Hope

And I was teasing MS about grumpy from our last exchange. I actually don't think he was being grumpy at all...

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Ha, I even tried using the s*** sandwich because I knew people would over-react. Happened anyway.

haha Awesome! If you really did, I think that is fun.

I wasn't having a go at you.

And to another poster, I wasn't saying "maybe he will get better." I was saying (and so was arsmaster and MS) that he DID get better in the third period.

This adapting to his first NHL action and his obvious skill set gave me hope.

Maybe I shouldn't have tried to be a bit playful with the grumpy comment.

Apologies if it offended

banme*

Jun 7, 2014
haha Awesome! If you really did, I think that is fun.

I wasn't having a go at you.

And to another poster, I wasn't saying "maybe he will get better." I was saying (and so was arsmaster and MS) that he DID get better in the third period.

This adapting to his first NHL action and his obvious skill set gave me hope.

Maybe I shouldn't have tried to be a bit playful with the grumpy comment.

Apologies if it offended

No one was offended friend, you do you don't let anyone get you down.

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
Canucks Reduce Pre-Season Roster

The following players have been assigned to the Utica Comets:

Anton Cederholm D
Dane Fox C
Evan McEneny D
Ashton Sautner D
Mackenze Stewart F
Jordan Subban D

The following players have been released and will attend the Utica Comets Training Camp:

Travis Ehrhardt D
John Kurtz LW
Clay Witt G
Mike Zalewski LW

The following players have been assigned to their junior club:

Guillaume Brisebois D Acadie-Bathurst QMJHL
Dmitry Zhukenov C Chicoutimi QMJHL

S_C

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
See, last night was *actually* a good game from Hutton. Night-and-day difference.

Wasn't constantly getting caught high and chasing the play, kept the game in front of him for the most part. And looked far more confident with the puck on his stick.

arsmaster*

See, last night was *actually* a good game from Hutton. Night-and-day difference.

Wasn't constantly getting caught high and chasing the play, kept the game in front of him for the most part. And looked far more confident with the puck on his stick.

Yup, loved the way he was jumping into the rush and/or trying to lead it. Here's hoping we have something here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00