Prospect Info: The Prospect Thread Part - XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
So? Make Demko start 45 games that doesn't seem like a problem.

You do realize that the amount of games adds to the level of difficult at every league, right? Doing well in a span of 20 games is good. Doing well in a span of 60 games is more impressive. He needs to be acclimatized to pro-hockey.

I'm not down on Demko, but I disagree with giving him the AHL starter position right off the bat. There's no harm easing him into the transition. Fortunately, the Canucks rather insulate and transition all their young guns, so I'm not really worried about that.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Have to remember that Neill was drafted his second time eligible. He put up 40 points in 63 games last season and still only went in the 5th round, it's not like his offensive game was ever in question.

Smaller sample size, but Olson's numbers have been more encouraging. Hopefully he returns from his injury soon and keeps it up.
Since Carl Neill has two first names, he should share with the guys who don't have any, like Tate Olson, Thatcher Demko or Hunter Shinkaruk.

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
Still don't understand the Bachman signing.

Looks like Benning has the foresight of a potato.

Obviously was a minor league contract, and probably not a bad move for utica to be honest. Dont think the plan was for him to see NHL time, sucks there was no foresight for goalie injury though.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
You do realize that the amount of games adds to the level of difficult at every league, right? Doing well in a span of 20 games is good. Doing well in a span of 60 games is more impressive. He needs to be acclimatized to pro-hockey.

I'm not down on Demko, but I disagree with giving him the AHL starter position right off the bat. There's no harm easing him into the transition. Fortunately, the Canucks rather insulate and transition all their young guns, so I'm not really worried about that.

I say let him battle it out with the other goaltender and if Demko does come out ahead then he becomes starter.

Demko will be fine.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Obviously was a minor league contract, and probably not a bad move for utica to be honest. Dont think the plan was for him to see NHL time, sucks there was no foresight for goalie injury though.

Every team is one goalie away from a Bachman type replacement.

Hopefully Markstrom can come back soon and take some of the workload off of Miller.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Because, They do have a strong First unit of Paquin-Boudreau, N. Roy, Bourcier, and Allard(D). Zhuk doesn't Play the point on the PP but centers the 2nd. Futhermore the forward group stay together at even strength, hence the lack of depth. Chicoutimi is a one line team + Zhukenov.

He's also been over 1PPG this season I believe when playing his natural position at centre. Started off on the wing where he wasn't producing. Lately it seems like he's been on the scoresheet most nights, which shows he could be starting to get more comfortable playing the N. American game.

Jake Virtanen was a 1PPG player in his draft +1 season last year and he looks pretty comfortable right now in the NHL. Don't see any reason to be worried about Zhukenov at this point, especially considering he brings a good defensive game to go along with the playmaking ability. Fully expect him to keep getting better as the season wears on - as it appears he's been doing of late.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
He's also been over 1PPG this season I believe when playing his natural position at centre. Started off on the wing where he wasn't producing. Lately it seems like he's been on the scoresheet most nights, which shows he could be starting to get more comfortable playing the N. American game.

Jake Virtanen was a 1PPG player in his draft +1 season last year and he looks pretty comfortable right now in the NHL. Don't see any reason to be worried about Zhukenov at this point, especially considering he brings a good defensive game to go along with the playmaking ability. Fully expect him to keep getting better as the season wears on - as it appears he's been doing of late.

Yup. Patience is key with Zhuk, and better production will come.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Yup. Patience is key with Zhuk, and better production will come.

Haven't seen him in the Q yet but I liked his game this summer. You can see the similarities with Datsyuk but Cole Cassels is actually a guy I think he resembles a lot as well. Not big or quick, but a smart player with a good stick defensively, and terrific playmaking ability.

Still think he was a good gamble late in the 4th Rd. Not sure if he will be able to overcome the size/skating deficiencies, but his passing ability and two-way acumen give some cause for optimism.

It's his production in the final half of the season that I will be watching closely. Give the guy a couple months to figure out the CHL game - it's much different than what he's been accustom to.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Since Carl Neill has two first names, he should share with the guys who don't have any, like Tate Olson, Thatcher Demko or Hunter Shinkaruk.

LOL...yes, we must be leaders in the number of prospects with two first names...you could also add Cole Cassels and maybe Jordan Subban?

The Iron Goalie

Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Haven't seen him in the Q yet but I liked his game this summer. You can see the similarities with Datsyuk but Cole Cassels is actually a guy I think he resembles a lot as well. Not big or quick, but a smart player with a good stick defensively, and terrific playmaking ability.

Still think he was a good gamble late in the 4th Rd. Not sure if he will be able to overcome the size/skating deficiencies, but his passing ability and two-way acumen give some cause for optimism.

It's his production in the final half of the season that I will be watching closely. Give the guy a couple months to figure out the CHL game - it's much different than what he's been accustom to.

This comp mainly comes from his stick work, and how he hounds the puck on the back check. Also I agree fully that the second half is more inportant.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Patience is the only option we have. I've caught 3 games since i started watching some Q draft prospects; all 3 have had him at C.

There are a number of things that he needs to work on. He looks slow at this level, not only foot speed, but his pace too. I don't see a real hound on the puck or back-check. A couple of times, he just skated back watching an opposing scoring chance or goal unfold in front of him. Often the 4th guy back. For someone who is sold as a two-way player, he does not even play on the PK, 1st or 2nd units, for the team. And it isn't because the C in front of him are taking away PK opportunities; even when Roy (their top PK C) is in the box, Zhuk doesn't get PK time. I don't see the advanced defensive acumen like we saw in Cassels/Horvat, not even close. He looks weak on faceoffs, just handedly loses the physical aspect of it, will have to be quicker because that's the only way he is winning them. Based on the stats of those who have taken over 100 f/o, he is the worst F/O C on their team. He often stays high slot, but when he does go below the goal line, he has often been out-muscled in board battles.

The only thing that has stood out to me about him is his playmaking on the PP. If he has the time and room, he can set some plays up.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
I've caught 3 games since i started watching some Q draft prospects; all 3 have had him at C.

Have you caught his games more recently, or earlier in the year? I believe he had no points in 5 games on the wing and then moved over to centre and seems to be putting points on the board consistently now.

Is he playing much on the PP, or with high quality finishers 5 on 5?

Guy is definitely a pure playmaker. Doesn't seem to have much in the way of finish unfortunately. And size/strength was the glaring issue coming into the season. Weighed in around 170lbs and the comments seemed to indicate he was built like a kid. Definitely needs to fill out to have a chance at the pro game.

The Iron Goalie

Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Patience is the only option we have. I've caught 3 games since i started watching some Q draft prospects; all 3 have had him at C.

There are a number of things that he needs to work on. He looks slow at this level, not only foot speed, but his pace too. I don't see a real hound on the puck or back-check. A couple of times, he just skated back watching an opposing scoring chance or goal unfold in front of him. Often the 4th guy back. For someone who is sold as a two-way player, he does not even play on the PK, 1st or 2nd units, for the team. And it isn't because the C in front of him are taking away PK opportunities; even when Roy (their top PK C) is in the box, Zhuk doesn't get PK time. I don't see the advanced defensive acumen like we saw in Cassels/Horvat, not even close. He looks weak on faceoffs, just handedly loses the physical aspect of it, will have to be quicker because that's the only way he is winning them. Based on the stats of those who have taken over 100 f/o, he is the worst F/O C on their team. He often stays high slot, but when he does go below the goal line, he has often been out-muscled in board battles.

The only thing that has stood out to me about him is his playmaking on the PP. If he has the time and room, he can set some plays up.

Ya in the games i've seen he's not PKing, but hopefully its just a trust thing, and the coach will come around. As for the backcheck if he has a chance to et the puck he generally does, but as you say he can get watch the play sometimes. Having a good two-way game dosent mean Horvat level defense as Horvat was one of if not the best defensive forwards in the CHL. Maybe consistency will be a/is a problem...hopefully not, but we'll see as the season progresses.

Also agree on playmaking, he has good vision and can find the open man. Shot is weak, so this forces him to be pass first. Furthmore physically he'll need to adjust+get stronger, but that will take time.

jimslob

Dec 9, 2008
People need to temper their expectations. Doing well in the NCAA or AHL has absolutely no correlation to being a good goalie in the NHL. After several years, we have a guy in the system who is _still_ trying to crack the big league: Markstrom, once called the best goalie outside the NHL.

There's no harm in easing the transition for someone who's never played in the pro league where there are ex-NHLers and/or guys with 20 years of pro experience.

If Demko is really that good (and I think he is), he can easily take the starting job away from Bachman in a year. But I don't agree nor do I think Travis Green would hand the starting role to Demko because of a what he's done in a different league.

This part of your post is insulting to everyone who disagrees with you as if your opinion is the only one that matters. Sorry to single you out but that is a pet peeve of mine. Other people telling me what I NEED to do as if I was a child or an imbecile that cannot form my own opinions.

I agree that it is unlikely that Demko will step directly from the NCAA into a starting job in the A but it is not impossible, there have been precedents where it has happened.

After all who would have thought Hutton would be doing as well this year, pretty well everyone had him penciled into the AHL for at least this year and probably more.

Rant over.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Good news on the Rodin front:

I'm glad that not only does Rodin have the Canucks in his plans, but that the Canucks also haven't forgotten about him.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This part of your post is insulting to everyone who disagrees with you as if your opinion is the only one that matters. Sorry to single you out but that is a pet peeve of mine. Other people telling me what I NEED to do as if I was a child or an imbecile that cannot form my own opinions.

I agree that it is unlikely that Demko will step directly from the NCAA into a starting job in the A but it is not impossible, there have been precedents where it has happened.

After all who would have thought Hutton would be doing as well this year, pretty well everyone had him penciled into the AHL for at least this year and probably more.

Rant over.

It's not even 'unlikely'.

It's what absolutely 100% should be happening next year. If he can't come in and be a starter in the AHL at that age, it would be a huge disappointment.

Same way similarly-rated guys like Jon Gillies and Connor Hellebucyk came out of college at the same age and were instantly AHL starters.

Good news on Rodin.

I question if he has the grit/build to succeed in the NHL but there's definitely a skill package there that should be explored.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
It's not even 'unlikely'.

It's what absolutely 100% should be happening next year. If he can't come in and be a starter in the AHL at that age, it would be a huge disappointment.

Same way similarly-rated guys like Jon Gillies and Connor Hellebucyk came out of college at the same age and were instantly AHL starters.

Good news on Rodin.

I question if he has the grit/build to succeed in the NHL but there's definitely a skill package there that should be explored.

Yeah it was sad to see him get destroyed physically in the A when he was not ready for it. I remember he came over right after suffering a shoulder injury and with the increased physicality, he never really recovered.

Hopefully we can bring him in for training camp at least and see if he can earn a spot. Not sure who he can edge out on the RW though.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Man, first we get a 2nd round pick for a coach we fired 16 months ago, now a (potentially) top prospect is ressurected from the scrap heap. What's next? Is Josh Holden going to make a miraculous rookie debut at age 37 with a robotically rebuilt wrist?

This year has been a rebuilder's dream so far ;)

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
Man, first we get a 2nd round pick for a coach we fired 16 months ago, now a (potentially) top prospect is ressurected from the scrap heap. What's next? Is Josh Holden going to make a miraculous rookie debut at age 37 with a robotically rebuilt wrist?

This year has been a rebuilder's dream so far ;)

Also, that Shink kid has been pretty alright early on in the season, so that's a nice change of pace.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Thing with Zhuk's production so far is he's getting a point in most games, but just isn't getting any multiple point nights right now. I mean if he puts up a 3 point effort next game, he's up to PPG. One hot streak with 2 or 3 multi-point games and his production will go from concerning to encouraging, so keep that in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad