Prospect Info: The Prospect Thread (Part XXIX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
What I also like about Olson is he's dropped the gloves a few times this year too so he's obviously not shy to scrap. What a great pick by Benning & co

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Thanks for all the reports on Olson. I had mentioned in the last prospects thread that, from the scouting reports, I didn't understand how he fell to the 7th round and that his stats compared to Provorov. This is one of the reports out there:

"A stolid yet competitive defenseman that elevates his level of play at the game's key moments. Plays safe and always makes the high-percentage play. Never takes himself out of the unfolding play and gets involved in all areas of the ice. Strong physically and asserts himself through winning board battles. Excellent transition game and makes seeing eye passes look easy. His composed demeanor lets him overlook some dumb penalties that would be very easy to take; that being said, he isn't afraid to stand up for himself or teammates. All-in-all, a determined, hard-working defenseman that makes all of the right decisions in helping his team win."
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=199682

Again, don't understand how he fell to the 7th. Some posters have indicated he has skating issues but, based on the reports here, that doesn't sound like a huge issue.
And on the comparison to Connauton's stats, Connauton was always a very high risk D-man. Doesn't sound like they're close to the same type of player yet Olson is still putting up impressive numbers.

Olson could be a real steal.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Not only does Olson look like a tremendous pick, it also happens to be out of the league where this team has been mind-numbingly horrific at finding talent in - the WHL.

Gives cause for optimism on a couple fronts. Maybe the scouting is turning the corner, and maybe having Benning's own eyes in our backyard in the West will finally put an end to the abhorrent track record in what is a pretty strong league.

I know that 2015 draft has taken some heat, outside the Boeser pick, but I just don't agree it wasn't a good draft for us. Early returns look promising.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Saw Olson last night, he looked pretty good. Moved the puck well, but wasn't overly physical nor was he a great skater. He will need to improve leaps and bounds to have any real pro potential. Kind of reminds me of a Brett Skinner type prospect. Still, good pick in the 7th round.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Saw Olson last night, he looked pretty good. Moved the puck well, but wasn't overly physical nor was he a great skater. He will need to improve leaps and bounds to have any real pro potential. Kind of reminds me of a Brett Skinner type prospect. Still, good pick in the 7th round.

I think in the 7th round if you get a pick that even has a slight chance at the NHL you made a solid pick.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Yup, even if 7th rounders turn into "organization" guys that are good AHLers and could be called up at some point for a game or two in a pinch, that's a solid pick. Then you just hope one of those types turns into something more. That's an excellent D+1 season from a 7th rounder.

Horrorshow

Jun 1, 2009
Not only does Olson look like a tremendous pick, it also happens to be out of the league where this team has been mind-numbingly horrific at finding talent in - the WHL.

Gives cause for optimism on a couple fronts. Maybe the scouting is turning the corner, and maybe having Benning's own eyes in our backyard in the West will finally put an end to the abhorrent track record in what is a pretty strong league.

I know that 2015 draft has taken some heat, outside the Boeser pick, but I just don't agree it wasn't a good draft for us. Early returns look promising.

Who has been giving the 2015 draft heat? It's looked like a successful draft pretty much since day 1. There were issues with how we got the Briesbois pick, but other than that it seems like people were pretty happy with the draft overall.

I haven't seen Olson, Briesbois or Neill play, so I don't know if they fit the bill, but looking back at our scouting record, I'm not sure if these types of prospects are a product of "turning the corner," but rather a product of trends we've seen from our existing scouts dating back to around 2009. Our scouts have identified Connauton, and to a lesser extent Peter Andersson in 2009, Corrado and Tommernes in 2011 (Tommernes didn't exactly set the world on fire in NA, but is having a great season in the SEL this year), Hutton in 2012, Subban in 2013 and Forsling in 2014. And Tanev as an undrafted UFA. For whatever reason, our scouts actually seem to have a pretty good read at identifying poised offensive defensemen who can really control the puck. Obviously there isn't really a home run in the bunch, except for maybe Hutton, but Connauton and Corrado are at least bottom pairing level defensemen, and Anderson and Tommernes were somewhat productive bodies in our farm system. Doesn't necessarily excuse them from missing out on a Damon Severson who was just sitting there for us, but historically we've actually been really strong at identifying posed, skilled defensemen. Hopefully this trend continues.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Would agree that for whatever reason the 'Nucks seem to be able to uncover depth d-men in the later rounds....not too bad with goaltenders either....Schneider, Demko, Lack and identifying the potential in Markstrom......unfortunately finding 6-7 pairing d-men and decent starting goalies in the draft isn't going to turn you into a contender...they need 'impact' forwards and d-men....after the Sedins and Trevor Linden, the slate looks pretty blank.

Horrorshow

Jun 1, 2009
Would agree that for whatever reason the 'Nucks seem to be able to uncover depth d-men in the later rounds....not too bad with goaltenders either....Schneider, Demko, Lack and identifying the potential in Markstrom......unfortunately finding 6-7 pairing d-men and decent starting goalies in the draft isn't going to turn you into a contender...they need 'impact' forwards and d-men....after the Sedins and Trevor Linden, the slate looks pretty blank.

Oh, I agree with that for sure. Overall our scouting still sucks. That point was just in the context of evaluating the defensemen we picked in '15.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Isn't the most important stat for evaluating junior defenseman their icetime?

The best players will always have the highest TOI because they are trusted the most. Can't remember where I got this from. Might have been some developmental article.

coaches are usually pretty good at playing their best players the most. in jr there are so few stats that ice time is a good one

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Not sure why people are so down on Tate Olson - He is a 7th round pick who is playing like a 3rd round pick.. he plays in all situations. He plays the point on the 1st team power play kills penalties and out in the last minute

his skating is not elite but he gets around plenty quick..... 6 feet 2 inches and 185 can easily add another 20 pounds. not saying he is a #1 or #2 but #3 or #4

the left side of the Canucks Defence looks pretty good

Hutton
Briesboise
Olson
Trymakin
Pedan

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Not sure why people are so down on Tate Olson - He is a 7th round pick who is playing like a 3rd round pick.. he plays in all situations. He plays the point on the 1st team power play kills penalties and out in the last minute

his skating is not elite but he gets around plenty quick..... 6 feet 2 inches and 185 can easily add another 20 pounds. not saying he is a #1 or #2 but #3 or #4

the left side of the Canucks Defence looks pretty good

Hutton
Briesboise
Olson
Trymakin
Pedan

Other than a few comments about needing work on his skating, the vast majority of posts about Olsen are extremely positive and full of praise.

Really not sure how you came to the conclusion that "people are so down on [him]."

Southern_Canuck

Sep 13, 2004
Thu Dec 31

AHL

Albany 4 Utica 1
Bachman 26 saves on 29 shots

Landry, (2) (Subban, Zalewski) (PP)

ECHL

Elmira 3 Kalamazoo 5
Blomstrand 2 goals, (6th, 7th), 2 assists, +2 (selected 1st star)
Cederholm 1 assist, +2
Fox 1 goal (10th), +3 (fought Colin Jacobs)
McEneny on IR

WJC

Canada 2 Sweden 5
Virtanen 0 points, -1

QMJHL

Acadie-Bathurst 5 Moncton 4 (SO)
Brisebois did not play

Sherbrooke 4 Shawinigan 7
Neill 2 assists, -2

Chicoutimi 4 Baie-Comeau 3 (SO)
Zhukenov 1 assist, even (scored on his shootout attempt)

OHL

Ottawa 4 Erie 6
Pettit 2 goals (5th, 6th), +1 (selected 1st star)

WHL

Spokane 5 Tri-City 2
Stewart 0 points, even

S_C

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
How has Fox not gotten called up to Utica yet ?
I get he has/had skating issues
But I mean
He seems to be too good for the zoo
Plus Utica is in need of centers

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
How has Fox not gotten called up to Utica yet ?
I get he has/had skating issues
But I mean
He seems to be too good for the zoo
Plus Utica is in need of centers

If Fox can't get a call-up with the plumbers currently occupying the Comet forward group, I'm not liking his chances.

CouverNucks

May 25, 2015
You mean Benning simply doesn't like Fox on a personal level, or wasn't'brought in by him so he's not "his guy"?

People have this stupid theory with no actual backing to it that Benning doesn't like, or doesn't utilize players that weren't acquired or drafted by him.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
You mean Benning simply doesn't like Fox on a personal level, or he wasn't brought in by him so he's not "his guy"?

Well they didn't even bother keeping him around for the AHL preseason and they kept Stewart around and we all know he is so bad that no junior team was willing to take him in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad