The price we pay for Jack Hughes?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
why the hell would we do this? we would be so much worse off after this trade its not even funny.

this **** makes my head hurt

People aren't saying we should do that deal, but that's what we would need to do if NJ is going to even consider accepting. Even then, I don't know that it's guaranteed they pull the trigger.

I think 4th, as Botch suggests, is more likely. Botch suggests 10 + Hutton/Juolevi + Demko gets it done. I honestly would be surprised if that was all it took. If it is, then I pull the trigger in an instant (I still try to move Markstrom instead of Demko).

Once we have 4, I do think there's a possibility to move up to 1 by offering our 2020 1st round pick, as well as our 40th overall pick, our 2nd round pick in 2020, and perhaps another piece. Stecher? Still, going to be very expensive and probably not worth it. If we can move up to 4 I say do it, and grab Bowen Byram.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
no, it actually doesn't in any way. the first overall pick is rarely ever traded, why do you think a second line center and some magic beans will pry a near-generational talent from a rebuilding team?

like i said, brain worms run rampant around these parts

I get being a NJ fan and not wanting to move the 1st overall pick. It makes sense. I wouldn't want to move it either.

But I will say, if I'm NJ and Vancouver offers me the 10th pick, the 40th pick, an unprotected 2020 1st round pick, Bo Horvat, and Jacob Markstrom for the 1st overall pick and Cory Schneider, I give it a long hard look.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Draino

Mar 1, 2017
Vancouver
someone help me out here...is J Hughes *that much better* than Hischier (As a first overall)? imagine if we backed up the brinks truck for Nico...what would people be saying now? Horvat could be a 70 pt 2 way center with good wingers. Trading him plus 2 first round picks (including a guaranteed top 10)...plus....plus...is ridiculous IMHO unless the guy coming back is a sure fire franchise calibre player that impacts your team like Mathews etc.

The other thing that scares me with these smallish projected superstars is this year's playoffs. The bigger grinding teams whose stars can muck it up seem to be succeeding. You wanna face a columbus style team with both hughes boys and pettersson as your primary threats? Those guys will get abused.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
I might trade Horvat for the 1st overall pick in a 1 for 1. MIGHT. But adding Bo to the 10th overall is crazy. And I’m a guy who REALLY wants to unite the Hughes brothers.

Reactions: Kreator

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
People aren't saying we should do that deal, but that's what we would need to do if NJ is going to even consider accepting. Even then, I don't know that it's guaranteed they pull the trigger.

I think 4th, as Botch suggests, is more likely. Botch suggests 10 + Hutton/Juolevi + Demko gets it done. I honestly would be surprised if that was all it took. If it is, then I pull the trigger in an instant (I still try to move Markstrom instead of Demko).

Once we have 4, I do think there's a possibility to move up to 1 by offering our 2020 1st round pick, as well as our 40th overall pick, our 2nd round pick in 2020, and perhaps another piece. Stecher? Still, going to be very expensive and probably not worth it. If we can move up to 4 I say do it, and grab Bowen Byram.

Grabbing Byram at 4th seems far more intriguing.

If you can do it for 10th+juolevi+demko, you do it imo. That instantly revitalizes our D core with Quinn Hughes and Byram. Looks like both shoot Left, but if either can play Rightside that has the potential to be a legitimate 1st pairing in the NHL a few years down the road.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

If you can do it for 10th+juolevi+demko, you do it imo. That instantly revitalizes our D core with Quinn Hughes and Byram. Looks like both shoot Left, but if either can play Rightside that has the potential to be a legitimate 1st pairing in the NHL a few years down the road.

I'm fine with having them on separate pairs as it would give the Canucks two legitimate defense lines that can be used to match against other teams.

If Jett Woo pans out, a defense core of Byram-Stecher, Hughes-Woo would be solid.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
And yes, the 4th overall trade proposal is very good for us.

Juolevi has a lot of question marks and basically every goalie that comes here plays better here than they do elsewhere.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
- he is the best player in the draft
- how did you guys do in playoffs last year?

He failed to develop significantly relative to his -1, which is very discouraging and he's quite obviously below guys like Eichel and Matthews in terms of Draft season. Kakko showed more improvement, plays at a more projectable frame and has already established himself against higher-level competition.

If you don't believe I've maintained this opinion, you can check my post history. I was probably one of the more vocal guys about this exact thing.

Making the playoffs one time sandwiched between a bunch of bottom 10 seasons is hardly an impressive accomplishment, especially when you got completely dicked in the first round. Also, the fact that my favourite team is also bad is completely irrelevant in this case.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Really ? A guy above offered our 1st this year, 1st next year and Bo Horvat.. That is a VAST overpayment for JH..
We’ve seen the best player in the world only do so much to drag a team along. We’d be gutting our franchise trying to chase this strange fascination of uniting brothers.

Dan and Hank played together forever in the same line. What magic are Quinn and Jack supposed to have together?

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
Really ? A guy above offered our 1st this year, 1st next year and Bo Horvat.. That is a VAST overpayment for JH..

Plus our second round pick this year.

Deal would likely be two top 10 picks, the 4oth pick this season, and Bo Horvat. Ridiculous over-payment for Hughes. Calling him "near-generational" is just as dumb as some of these proposals. That term has lost all meaning on these boards.

I agree that I would be much more inclined to see them try to swing a deal for the 4th pick to snag Byram. He appears to be exactly what this team needs on the back end. In the end, if the cost is too steep then just stay at 10 and make the selection. They are going to get a solid prospect regardless.

Reactions: Draino

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I believe its more likely that Hughes is closer to RNH or Matt Barzal than he is a "near-generational" talent. If he's available I'd make a pitch, but I'm not going to blow things up to get this guy....Honestly I think I'd rather have Kakko or Byram.

Reactions: DarrenX

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Why don't you worry about your team actually taking bpa with the #1 pick this time?

Lol you win the lottery twice in 3 years and you come in to troll Canucks fans. Here listen - it's the sound of one hand clapping itself, good job.

Well, let him be. 2017 and 2019 might be some of the worst years to win the lottery. To do it in those years must be devesatating so I can understand the frustration. Hischier is great and so will be Hughes or Kakko but compared to what you could get in other years (Dahlin, Lafreniere, Matthews) it is no surprise people are frustrated and are trying to "deal" it for great value. Clayton Keller is probably turning out better than Hischier, Kakko and Matthews, wouldnt that frustate you too? As a Canucks fan I certainly would be p***ed off if this was they one year we win the lottery. Give me next years 1st and I can forgive the 50 years of bad luck.

Reactions: Pavel96

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Well, let him be. 2017 and 2019 might be some of the worst years to win the lottery. To do it in those years must be devesatating so I can understand the frustration. Hischier is great and so will be Hughes or Kakko but compared to what you could get in other years (Dahlin, Lafreniere, Matthews) it is no surprise people are frustrated and are trying to "deal" it for great value. Clayton Keller is probably turning out better than Hischier, Kakko and Matthews, wouldnt that frustate you too? As a Canucks fan I certainly would be p***ed off if this was they one year we win the lottery. Give me next years 1st and I can forgive the 50 years of bad luck.
Not to mention...
We got the best player in 2017 and he’s likely better than Hughes

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Well, the Canucks surely have a good shot at being another lottery team, so there's that.

The Flow

Jan 30, 2018
Hong Kong

I think 10th + juolevi + demko is overpayment...10th + demko + 4th/5th would be more fair. Juolevi is a top 5 pick and Demko has potential to be a franchise goalie.

Not saying that Juolevi has value as a top 5 pick anymore, but essentially we are trading away three 1st rounders for the 4th overall. Unless Byram is going to be the next Eric Karlsson I don't think this trade is worth it.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
STOP STOP STOP...................In what sane world would any sound minded individual want to trade Horvat and at least 2 firsts for Jack Hughes?

NO f***ING WAY..........that is horrible - Horvat is on a great contract for a while now and it's not inconceivable that he alone could end up being just as valuable as Hughes. Add in 2 firsts and gut our already gutted team even more? NO THANK YOU.......

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I agree with some of the evaluations here, I think any package for #1 starts with 10th, 40th, unprotected 1st 2020 + mid level prospects + taking back a bad contract. It's just not a price I'm willing to pay to reunite the brothers.

J Hughes/Kakko are good players but are not on track to be generational talents so the return for #1 might be lower than some NJ fans expect.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver

I would try to move up to 4 but would not trade Demko and would prefer to keep Hutton.

Maybe 10+Juolevi+Madden for 4?

If we got that pick, I would keep it and draft Byram/Podkolzin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad