The price we pay for Jack Hughes?

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Jim Benning and Francisco have done a wonderful job of shaping the future of our Vancouver Canucks so my question to you is....what price do we pay for Jack Hughes?

I honestly don't think we're a playoff team yet but we need to sacrifice something now to secure the future of this franchise....we need Jack Hughes.

I'm thinking we will probably finish 8-10th in the standings (only because of Benning) and we should trade Horvat + 2019 1st + 2021 unprotected 1st for the ability to pick 1st or 2nd in this years draft and select Jack Hughes.

Is that to much?

What would you pay to select Jack Hughes?

Reactions: daddyohsix

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
you realize that first overalls won't get traded regardless of what offer.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
We already have a #1 center and Horvat is the perfect #2 center. We're missing a #1 LW and #2 RW/LW along with a plethora of dmen. We should be able to get one of these pieces with our first pick provided Benning doesn't F*** it up. Hughes could work as a wing but I wouldn't be breaking the bank for him.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Either we get lucky or we don't.

We cannot be putting multiple high-end quality pieces on the table to chase the first overall.

Stay patient, make picks, and don't force it. There is light even if we end up last this year.

Reactions: THE Green Man

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I actually think Kakko , Dach and Cozens would all be amazing top 6 pickups as well.

Hughes is clearly the top flight guy and having Quinn already makes him the clear #1 choice but the runner-up options are pretty good. Even down at 4 or 5 you will get the top D choices in Byram, Broberg or York.

I'd love the Nucks to grab another 1st or 2nd this year too.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
I actually think Kakko , Dach and Cozens would all be amazing top 6 pickups as well.

Hughes is clearly the top flight guy and having Quinn already makes him the clear #1 choice but the runner-up options are pretty good. Even down at 4 or 5 you will get the top D choices in Byram, Broberg or York.

I'd love the Nucks to grab another 1st or 2nd this year too.
Nope gotta grab Hughes.....think of the marketing.

It's perfect IMHO

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
A) we have EP and Bo Horvat up C so while adding another C would be nice, is it our primary organizational need?

That said, it would be nice to have the brothers playing on the same team, but we need luck for that to happen. Horvat + a high first isn't getting it done, and would be a stupid gamble to make at this point with a black hole on the back end of this team.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
A) we have EP and Bo Horvat up C so while adding another C would be nice, is it our primary organizational need?

That said, it would be nice to have the brothers playing on the same team, but we need luck for that to happen. Horvat + a high first isn't getting it done, and would be a stupid gamble to make at this point with a black hole on the back end of this team.

How are we going to get D?

Let's trade some garbage like Hutton! Or Tanev Or Edler for someone young.

Oj is going to be fine and when Trams comes back... this team will be set with Quinn leading the way

Hughes down the middle with Pettersson and Brock leading is the only way I see this team improving.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
To obtain a high pick, for a year with deep rep, will require significant over-payment.

And let's not forget who will be the one DOING the trade.

The price will likely start at 1st round pick + one of BB6/EP40/BH53 + Tanev, and this will likely be the bare minimum.

To make it even more fun, how many times had Dim Jim obtained and held on to a pick?

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
To obtain a high pick, for a year with deep rep, will require significant over-payment.

And let's not forget who will be the one DOING the trade.

The price will likely start at 1st round pick + one of BB6/EP40/BH53 + Tanev, and this will likely be the bare minimum.

To make it even more fun, how many times had Dim Jim obtained and held on to a pick?

Benning won't trade BB6 or EP40

It's going to be Horvat + 2019 1st + ?

Take the ? Out...would you do Horvat + 2019 1st to select Jack Hughes?

Serious question

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
I think the question that should be asked is.... if we win (not in trade) the first overall pick and select Hughes.... do we then think about trading Horvat for a D

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Jim Benning and Francisco have done a wonderful job of shaping the future of our Vancouver Canucks so my question to you is....what price do we pay for Jack Hughes?

I honestly don't think we're a playoff team yet but we need to sacrifice something now to secure the future of this franchise....we need Jack Hughes.

I'm thinking we will probably finish 8-10th in the standings (only because of Benning) and we should trade Horvat + 2019 1st + 2021 unprotected 1st for the ability to pick 1st or 2nd in this years draft and select Jack Hughes.

Is that to much?

Did your account get hacked? Are you in trouble and this is your code word for people to send help?

To answer your question: I wouldn't pay that price. Tempting as it may be, the Canucks need to stockpile as many elite assets as they can get. I get the idea of consolidating lesser assets into an elite asset, but that's a lot to give up considering this seems to be a stacked draft in the top 10. I'd be happy taking one of Hughes, Kakko, Dach, Cozens, Krebs, Boldy, Turcotte, Newhook, Lavoie, or Byram.

This is a stacked draft and I really wish we'd be able to acquire another 1.

Reactions: Jack Burton

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Well said...Jack Hughes,though it would be awesome,is not a dire neccesity anymore..Pete and Bo are a great 1-2 punch...

Trading Horvat + to get Hughes would be plugging one hole and springing another one.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Did your account get hacked? Are you in trouble and this is your code word for people to send help?

To answer your question: I wouldn't pay that price. Tempting as it may be, the Canucks need to stockpile as many elite assets as they can get. I get the idea of consolidating lesser assets into an elite asset, but that's a lot to give up considering this seems to be a stacked draft in the top 10. I'd be happy taking one of Hughes, Kakko, Dach, Cozens, Krebs, Boldy, Turcotte, Newhook, Lavoie, or Byram.

This is a stacked draft and I really wish we'd be able to acquire another 1.
One could call it trolling but I want to see what this fan base is willing to pay for Jack Hughes.

I said last year (around this time) that the Canucks are targeting Quinn Hughes and he's probably going to fall straight into our laps...what happened?

I'm predicting that we won't walk out of this year's draft without Jack

I wanna know what we're willing to pay.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
I'm not convinced Jack is the future of the franchise, but for sure being able to add him to our core would be fantastic.

8-10 is probably close, but we may may end up a little higher. I could see us playing with playoff contention and just falling short around 12-15.

Is that to much?
Horvat or another of the big 3 probably would be the piece required to get something like this done, but then we lose a very good 2-way 2nd line centre who is asserting himself as a potential 1st liner. So we trade a potential 1st line centre for another potential 1st line centre? Jack Hughes may have amazing skill, and be a higher producing player than Horvat, but we already have a 1st line Playmaking Centre in Pettersson. So the Horvat trade seems like a lateral move, but then trading away our future 1st round picks seems like it actually sets us back especially if this move is to continue the rebuild/tank until we have a decent core.

If the team is supposed to be bad, and picking up depth through the draft we can't give away our picks like that. That only works if Jack Hughes plays immediately, is as big a difference maker as Pettersson and we are straightaway in the playoffs, only losing out on a high 1st round pick instead.

...so, I would love Jack. But that deal proposed is not a winning deal on a number of metrics.

Honestly I don't think we have the pieces to acquire Jack without losing one of Quinn Hughes, Boeser, Horvat or Pettersson... and that seems like a lateral move at best. It would have to be something outside of those four to make sense for the Canucks moving forward, but that's extremely unlikely to acquire the 1st overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad