The price we pay for Jack Hughes?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I would try to move up to 4 but would not trade Demko and would prefer to keep Hutton.

Maybe 10+Juolevi+Madden for 4?

If we got that pick, I would keep it and draft Byram/Podkolzin

You're basically just offering junk to move up from 10 to 4. There's no way Colorado does that.

Hutton is going to be overpaid. His season this year wasn't as good as people think. Ideally we trade 10 + Hutton + Markstrom to move up from 10 to 4.

Reactions: dwarf and DarrenX

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
I would try to move up to 4 but would not trade Demko and would prefer to keep Hutton.

Maybe 10+Juolevi+Madden for 4?

If we got that pick, I would keep it and draft Byram/Podkolzin

You know what. I think if Juolevi didn't get injured and he played 40ish games for the Canucks and looked at least decent to good this year then that package would roughly get #1 or #2.

Think back to the Sedin draft. McCabe (who was 23) and the Canucks' next year's 1st round pick got the 4th overall pick from Chicago. So the value is actually not bad if you look at it historically.

This is probably one of the weakest drafts at the top end too so you never know, it could still happen, but I doubt it. It probably wasn't meant to be this year guys. We'll just have to put on our work boots and dig ourselves out of this ditch with hard work and later draft picks.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
it's interesting. reminds me a bit of the Juolevi draft (sort of). There was a clear top 5. In hindsight 2 of the top 5 have been worse than Juolevi. The next 10 were all pretty close.

This year there is a top 2.Then 1 or 2 more. After that it is wide open. Picking 10 might land us a very good player. We'll see.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
You're basically just offering junk to move up from 10 to 4. There's no way Colorado does that.

Hutton is going to be overpaid. His season this year wasn't as good as people think. Ideally we trade 10 + Hutton + Markstrom to move up from 10 to 4.
Change Hutton to Juolevi and I’d do it.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
You know what. I think if Juolevi didn't get injured and he played 40ish games for the Canucks and looked at least decent to good this year then that package would roughly get #1 or #2.

Think back to the Sedin draft. McCabe (who was 23) and the Canucks' next year's 1st round pick got the 4th overall pick from Chicago. So the value is actually not bad if you look at it historically.

This is probably one of the weakest drafts at the top end too so you never know, it could still happen, but I doubt it. It probably wasn't meant to be this year guys. We'll just have to put on our work boots and dig ourselves out of this ditch with hard work and later draft picks.
There’s no way Juolevi would have played 40 games with us. He’s nowhere near NHL ready.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
There’s no way Juolevi would have played 40 games with us. He’s nowhere near NHL ready.

I can't see Juolevi playing 40, but given Schenn played 18 and Sautner 17, it's quite realistic that Juolevi would play at least that amount had he stayed healthy. Juolevi was putting up points and had he stayed healthy it was possible that his points production would have garnered a call-up. I don't think Juolevi was NHL ready defensively but it's hard to say with Green. Juolevi might bring enough for Green to keep playing him or he might be benched.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
no, it actually doesn't in any way. the first overall pick is rarely ever traded, why do you think a second line center and some magic beans will pry a near-generational talent from a rebuilding team?

like i said, brain worms run rampant around these parts

Oh you are talking about next years 1st overall pick?

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014
Any price that NJD would accept for 1OA, we'd be fools to pay it, especially since JH might be more RNH than Connor McDavid.

We have holes everywhere and are years away. One player is not going to fix this. We should not be thinking of giving up multiple prime assets.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver

Why would we trade Markstrom over Demko? Markstrom has always been the better prospect and he finally turned himself into a top 10 goalie this year. Demko is years away still. He's got a lot of holes in his game

Reactions: mossey3535

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Why would we trade Markstrom over Demko? Markstrom has always been the better prospect and he finally turned himself into a top 10 goalie this year. Demko is years away still. He's got a lot of holes in his game

Without getting into arguments about the merits of the two goalies or details of their contract situations, the simple reply is that trading the goalie who is six years older is the rebuilding move.

Trading Markstrom is likely to sacrifice the present in favour of the future. Keeping him emphasizes trying to win now.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

What's funny is how Markstrom finally turned himself into a top 10 goalie this year, suggesting he wasn't last year:

2017-18: 2.71 GAA 0.912 SVP
2018-19: 2.77 GAA 0.912 SVP

It's this perception that he has greatly improved (which he probably has improved some) that makes me think we could get a lot for him. Beyond that, he's 29 and won't be effective whenever the Canucks are contending again. Demko being much younger, who also looked very good this year, is the guy we should be building around in net. I would move Markstrom for higher value, and bring in a quality veteran backup to split time with Demko.

406in604

Mar 4, 2019
There is no logical price for first overall. Maybe even second. Third could be had but my guess is it would be disgusting. Something like Bo + Ollie + #10

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
There is no logical price for first overall. Maybe even second. Third could be had but my guess is it would be disgusting. Something like Bo + Ollie + #10

It would be worse than that. Think Lindros package which set up Colorado to win a cup...and the Canucks don't have the assets.

It would take 10th pick...next year's first unprotected....2nd....Horvat and Stecher. Anyone want Jack Hughes that bad??

There is a reason it never happens

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I can't see Juolevi playing 40, but given Schenn played 18 and Sautner 17, it's quite realistic that Juolevi would play at least that amount had he stayed healthy. Juolevi was putting up points and had he stayed healthy it was possible that his points production would have garnered a call-up. I don't think Juolevi was NHL ready defensively but it's hard to say with Green. Juolevi might bring enough for Green to keep playing him or he might be benched.
Juolevi was much worse defensively in the AHL than the other 2.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The far more reasonable "marketing trade", would be if the Devils acquired Quinn Hughes.

That would be expensive, but not absurdly, prohibitively expensive, like the Canucks trading for 1OA.

The reality is, "marketing trades" are dumb & I hope the Devils dont do it, you all should hope the Canucks dont do it as well.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The far more reasonable "marketing trade", would be if the Devils acquired Quinn Hughes.

That would be expensive, but not absurdly, prohibitively expensive, like the Canucks trading for 1OA.

The reality is, "marketing trades" are dumb & I hope the Devils dont do it, you all should hope the Canucks dont do it as well.
Unless brothers are 1 year apart and play the same position area of either F or D, there isn’t likely to be chemistry like the sedins

There is no magic to be had. Canucks don’t need the marketing.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
What's funny is how Markstrom finally turned himself into a top 10 goalie this year, suggesting he wasn't last year:

2017-18: 2.71 GAA 0.912 SVP
2018-19: 2.77 GAA 0.912 SVP

It's this perception that he has greatly improved (which he probably has improved some) that makes me think we could get a lot for him. Beyond that, he's 29 and won't be effective whenever the Canucks are contending again. Demko being much younger, who also looked very good this year, is the guy we should be building around in net. I would move Markstrom for higher value, and bring in a quality veteran backup to split time with Demko.

Yes I've seen that stat but goals have been up and save % down and he had a slow start. From Dec on he was a top 10 goalie. He also faced some the lagues highest danger scoring chances and his save % in those high danger shots was very high compared to most NHL goalies. He turned himself into the goalie he was supposed to be. Demko has major flas that hopefully Clark can even out but the chances of him getting to a top 10 level like Markstrom look slim

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad