The price we pay for Jack Hughes?

Carl Carlson

Jan 7, 2009
NJ isn't trading the 1st unless someone overpays by a large margin. Not worth it. I'd explore trying to move up a few spots to maybe the 6-8 slot. One or two of Dach Cozens Zegras Byram should be there. Not really sure what the market will be to move up a few spots but I'm sure it will be steep as everyone knows Jim will try to make a splash.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Horvat is so underrated.

I could have seen this happening with Colorado using Horvat as a piece with our 1st and Markstrom but I don't think Chicago would be as willing to trade as the Avs would.

Still though, Horvat plays with garbage and was on pace for almost 70 points until he was run down with the shit deployment he got. If he had first line quality linemates with depth behind him he would flourish.

Reactions: Eddy Punch Clock

Grip it N RYP it

Apr 20, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
If only over the years, we had taken on bad contracts for picks, signed single year term free agents and turned them into assets at the annual trade deadline, and sold off aging vets when they still held value around the league.

If only we proactively and creatively accumulated an abundance of assets, drafted and developed a multitude of prospects, possibly creating a deeper pool and higher success to bust rate and organizational depth, not just for the long term health of the team, but for you know, when a time like this one maybe arrived.

giphy.gif

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Time to can the trade up to 1OV talk. #1 hasn't moved in over 15 years and when it does move it's 1-3 spots MAX.

Moreover:

We literally can't spare a single asset that's how thin we are throughout the organization.

We need all of our picks and we need more.

We need all of our under 25 year old roster players and we need more.

We need all of our prospects and we need more.

We don't have a single position of strength to deal from, just weakness at every position.

This isn't a Crosby/Ovi/Stamkos/Tavares/Mackinnon level player we're trading to trade up for.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
NJ isn't trading the 1st unless someone overpays by a large margin. Not worth it. I'd explore trying to move up a few spots to maybe the 6-8 slot. One or two of Dach Cozens Zegras Byram should be there. Not really sure what the market will be to move up a few spots but I'm sure it will be steep as everyone knows Jim will try to make a splash.
I would say Edm and buf at 7 &8 likely feel that they need to make the playoffs. Buffalos division appears to be getting harder if Fla can land the big 2 that they covet in free agency after getting Q as their coach. Sabres had their C and D main guy. Have to fill in the rest.

Edm like the Canucks needs scoring wingers. Canucks don’t have what Edm would want.

touchnotthecat

Dec 29, 2014
Im thinking the same thing with Schneider. NJ 1st + Schneider for Markstom + 10th overall + Gaudette ++... We would still add but I can see NJ wanting to dump the Schneider contract and Markstrom/Blackwood is an ideal 1A/1B situation for them. We wouldnt be able to sign any large free agent contracts without hand cuffing ourselves in 2022 when Pettersson and Quinn are due new contracts.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
You don’t trade horvat under basically any circumstance. You want to know what eliteprospects scouting report says on horvat? “He plays every shift like there’s 5 seconds left” you don’t trade players like that. Period. The one year we made the playoffs he elevated his game, he’s our future captain. I for whatever reason want someone with more size in our top 6. Kakko, Dach, Cozens would be just fine.
This is a ridiculously unreasonable statement. If a 3rd/4th liner played every shift like there's 5 seconds left, you wouldn't trade a player like that for a 1st/2nd liner? Period?

Last edited:

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
If only over the years, we had taken on bad contracts for picks, signed single year term free agents and turned them into assets at the annual trade deadline, and sold off aging vets when they still held value around the league.

If only we proactively and creatively accumulated an abundance of assets, drafted and developed a multitude of prospects, possibly creating a deeper pool and higher success to bust rate and organizational depth, not just for the long term health of the team, but for you know, when a time like this one maybe arrived.

giphy.gif

Cap space doesn't matter!

Fewer picks mean you can draft a better player!

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Basically, trading for Hughes (you would have to overpay of course, given the marquee of the #1 pick) would be plugging one hole and springing several another ones.

I'm totally pleased with EP/Horvat as 1-2 down the middle, both players have a different contrast to their game.

Jack Hughes would be a luxury, but I'm more than content having his older brother.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Factor in their talent level with the effort to get the end result.
Right, which is the opposite of his sentiment. He said "You don’t trade players [who play every shift like it's their last]. Period." Without exception. No other consideration/factoring required.

In reality, it's just another talent, and you DO trade them if the price accounts for that talent. Just like with anything else.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
No chance for it to happen but NJ wouldn't do it for anything less than Horvat + #10 or Pettersson.

But........Would you trade Quinn Hughes for Ty Smith and Jesper Boqvist?

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
No chance for it to happen but NJ wouldn't do it for anything less than Horvat + #10 or Pettersson.

But........Would you trade Quinn Hughes for Ty Smith and Jesper Boqvist?
Lmao no chance :laugh:

Quinn Hughes is our only shot at a bonafide long term #1 dman.

I’d 100% make the call to move up from #10 to #4-7 to get Byram though

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
The 1OA is definitely a pipe dream and the 10th overall pick is certainly no guarantee, especially in a weaker draft.

What about considering the option of trading down? Get a solid prospect and or 2020 draft pick?

Everything has to be explored; but with the draft in Vancouver it's unlikely they'd want to draft any lower than 10th.

touchnotthecat

Dec 29, 2014
The ace up our sleeve might be Tyler Madden... With his family ties to the organization it might make him just as attractive to New Jersey management as Jack Hughes... (probably not but a man can dream)

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
This is a ridiculously unreasonable statement. If a 3rd/4th liner played every shift like there's 5 seconds left, you wouldn't trade a player like that for a 1st/2nd liner? Period?

Well that's assuming some team will bend over and let you destroy them in a trade. If avs offered MacKinnon to Horvat ...peace Horvat. But obviously if Horvat is going in a package for the first pick we are overpaying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad