The price we pay for Jack Hughes?

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
I get the emotional connection.

But thats just not sound logic. If you get, for an extreme example, two players like that for Horvat then you do trade him.

Mo and Jo the previously unknown missing Horvat Brothers would be a welcome addition to the team. :sarcasm:

It is interesting the idea of a Horvat trade is met with a less visceral reaction than the thought of a Boeser one. But like with Boeser, the value likely just isn't there if we traded him.

He brings more to our team currently than what we would hypothetically get back. Especially if that involved packaging him with high picks, which would make drafting more depth for this team even worse than it has been... so basically the package proposed for Hughes is only useful if we want to waste the earlier years of Boeser, Pettersson and the Hughes bros with a move that tanks the team, but doesn't even give us the full benefit of the tank. :help:

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
One could call it trolling but I want to see what this fan base is willing to pay for Jack Hughes.

I said last year (around this time) that the Canucks are targeting Quinn Hughes and he's probably going to fall straight into our laps...what happened?

I'm predicting that we won't walk out of this year's draft without Jack

I wanna know what we're willing to pay.

You know, you make a good point. Especially with Weisbrod being close with the Hughes family, I guess I could see a scenario where the Canucks do everything they can to trade up for that pick. And because Hughes is a C and they aren't moving Pettersson, I could see a scenario where they offer up their pick + Horvat. That probably still won't be enough.

It would likely cost 2019 1st round pick, Bo Horvat, 2020 1st round pick (doubt Benning is smart enough to lottery protect it), and let's throw in our 2019 2nd round pick just because we know Benning likes trading those. That might get it done, but would also be a disaster for the Canucks.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
you realize that first overalls won't get traded regardless of what offer.

I think the only scenario is if we get the 2nd overall pick and the team picking first doesn't have a strong preference for Hughes/Kakko. Even then we will probably need to pony up a big offer.

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
Jim Benning and Francisco have done a wonderful job of shaping the future of our Vancouver Canucks so my question to you is....what price do we pay for Jack Hughes?

I honestly don't think we're a playoff team yet but we need to sacrifice something now to secure the future of this franchise....we need Jack Hughes.

I'm thinking we will probably finish 8-10th in the standings (only because of Benning) and we should trade Horvat + 2019 1st + 2021 unprotected 1st for the ability to pick 1st or 2nd in this years draft and select Jack Hughes.

Is that to much?

What would you pay to select Jack Hughes?
Found Weisbrod's secret account. Floating out trading a fan favorite, franchise centreman on a fair contract?? Just so he can hang out with his buddy and watch his kids play for the team he co-manages.

f*** Weisbrod and his nepotism.

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014
I'm thinking we will probably finish 8-10th in the standings (only because of Benning) and we should trade Horvat + 2019 1st + 2021 unprotected 1st for the ability to pick 1st or 2nd in this years draft and select Jack Hughes.

Is that to much?

What would you pay to select Jack Hughes?

We already have a 1C. Horvat is a great 2C. Top 6 centres are the one area of this team we don't need to bolster. Not only would I not do this, if we DO wind up with the 1OA pick I would trade DOWN to 5th-6th pick. Deep draft with lots of great wingers.

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
I'm not interested in trading Horvat for the Hughes guarantee either. Let the lottery ball drop in whatever way it does.

A center depth of Pettersson, Hughes, and Horvat is sick. Toronto keeps their top 3 centers on PP1, we can too.

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
That might get it done, but would also be a disaster for the Canucks.

That feels like it would put us in Oilers territory. 12 seasons from their finals appearance, 4 number 1 draft picks but poorly constructed teams with only 1 playoff appearance to show for it... and who knows how long they squander McDavid's potential too?

It would be frustrating to see a similar situation for Pettersson and Hughes.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

elwin316

Jun 4, 2009
I would assume that any trade to draft first overall would require a massive over payment. At this point I'd just like a top 5 pick.

Also, Horvat has one of the best contracts in the league. As much as Benning has shit the bed on several FA signings, Horvat's play compounded with his contract has turned him into an extremely valuable asset. IMO offering Horvat + 2019 1st + 2021 unprotected 1st for the ability to pick 1st or 2nd in this years draft and select Jack Hughes would be a massive over payment.

Reactions: THE Green Man

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Just stay the course and hope for lottery luck.

Be great to have Hughes but would be happy with a Top 5 pick to add to the current core.

However, if we don't land 1st overall (and especially if we end up at #2), I can see Benning doing something ridiculous to land Hughes.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Jack Hughes is better than Bo Horvat (upgrade)

8th to 1st .....no brainer

We will be a playoff team by then so who needs a 1st round pick?
Flip it the other way. What would the team that gets jack Hughes give up to unite him with Quinn?

Looking at the teams that have a shot, outside of colorado who could part with Makar, is there a team that could offer Vancouver anything that would make sense?

Blues would have to be Parayko.
Flyers like provorov.

Canucks need D.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
IMO offering Horvat + 2019 1st + 2021 unprotected 1st for the ability to pick 1st or 2nd in this years draft and select Jack Hughes would be a massive over payment.
100%, trading Horvat is a big mistake he is a core player IMO and throwing in TWO first rounders when we clearly need some depth is not a smart move.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I wouldn’t trade any of our core guys or high picks for Hughes.

Besides, I haven’t been paying a ton of attention, but last I heard he wasnt exactly setting the world on fire this year.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
Jack Hughes is better than Bo Horvat (upgrade)
Jack Hughes is not better than Bo Horvat - unless JH has secretly been playing centre in the NHL for the past 5 years with superior stats.

Horvat has improved his PPG numbers every single year he has been in this league...I will take a Bo Horvat any day on my team over an unproven rookie and can't WAIT to see what he does come playoff time.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I think the only scenario is if we get the 2nd overall pick and the team picking first doesn't have a strong preference for Hughes/Kakko. Even then we will probably need to pony up a big offer.

Yep.

And should we do something like Kakko + Horvat/Boeser to get Hughes? No, we should not.

I love the dream of a new brother duo leading the Canucks. But we need to be smart.

And at this point, I think I slightly lean toward Kakko anyway.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
We already have a 1C. Horvat is a great 2C. Top 6 centres are the one area of this team we don't need to bolster. Not only would I not do this, if we DO wind up with the 1OA pick I would trade DOWN to 5th-6th pick. Deep draft with lots of great wingers.

No. No no no no no way.

If you have the chance to take Hughes or Kakko, you take them. This is crazy.

It's not a problem to have too many good players. You could just...put them on the wing.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Yep.

And should we do something like Kakko + Horvat/Boeser to get Hughes? No, we should not.

I love the dream of a new brother duo leading the Canucks. But we need to be smart.

And at this point, I think I slightly lean toward Kakko anyway.

Some offers I'd consider (might not be the best in terms of pure value, but hell I'd make an exception at the chance of having both Hughes brothers):

2nd overall + 33rd overall + Lind/Woo
2nd overall + Tanev
2nd overall + Juolevi
2nd overall + Sutter (salary retained) + 33rd overall
2nd overall + late 1st rounder (if Edler is traded at the deadline for a late 1st) + 33rd overall
2nd overall + 2021 1st rounder (top 5/10 protected)

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Some offers I'd consider (might not be the best in terms of pure value, but hell I'd make an exception at the chance of having both Hughes brothers):

2nd overall + 33rd overall + Lind/Woo
2nd overall + Tanev
2nd overall + Juolevi
2nd overall + Sutter (salary retained) + 33rd overall
2nd overall + late 1st rounder (if Edler is traded at the deadline for a late 1st) + 33rd overall
2nd overall + 2021 1st rounder (top 5/10 protected)

I'd probably agree to all of these. But I doubt whoever is holding the 1st overall would.

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014
No. No no no no no way.

If you have the chance to take Hughes or Kakko, you take them. This is crazy.

It's not a problem to have too many good players. You could just...put them on the wing.

Look, if we had 1OA and the team with 6OA offered us the OP's trade in reverse: ie: Colton Parayko plus 6OA plus the 2021 first rounder, I would take that all day, every day, and run out of the room laughing before the other team smartened up and changed their mind.

Parayko + 6OA + another first is worth more TO US than Hughes is, because Hughes is a 1c and you may have noticed we seem to have already landed one of those. Top 6 C is the ONE area of the team that *isn't* a weakness! Sure, we could put Hughes on the wing, or you know, we could put our 6OA pick on the wing, Parayko on our garbage D, and next year's 1st somewhere else. Three good players are better than one.

Reactions: Katani Kalan

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Ya not trading Horvat plus a first let alone 2 1st's for anyone. Hughes might be great but I'd rather take Horvat, 1 of Kakko, Cozens, Podkolizin, Dach, Broberg plus a chance at Alexis Lafreniere in 2020 who might be the best out of all listed here.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
Nothing.

If by some miracle we win the lottery I'd trade down a bit (top 6-8 at worst) and pick up another asset. Saw Jack live in Kelowna this summer and came away decidedly unimpressed. Maybe an off night in a glorified shinny but there are too many similar reports over at the main board. Great skater and passer but little too peripheral and not engaged enough for my liking. Not saying he'll bust outright (Yak style) but probably end up closer to someone like Nuge.

Best to stay the course, draft one of those big skilled wingers, or centres who can legit play wing, and trade Edler for a late first and get that RHD. Better still, trade him for an already drafted best pedigreed D prospect made available by some contender. Wouldn't even insist on high end offensive skills from the kid, just solid two-way and own zone play.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Tom Hardy

Dec 10, 2018
Even talking about that makes me queasy...
I hear ya! It makes me queezy as well. That is why I worded it like I did. I am not saying Horvat is untouchable; but if he is traded it needs to make a lot of sence; perhaps it even being a no-brainer. Those kind of deals are few and far between; but even the Canucks made a few great trades over the years. Remember the players we got back in the Garth Butcher trade. Many here might not be old enough to remeber it, but for an older guy like myself, I sure do!

1. To Vancouver: Cliff Ronning, Geoff Courtnall, Sergio Momesso, Robert Dirk and a fifth-round draft pick
    To St. Louis Blues: Dan Quinn and Garth Butcher or how about

1. To Vancouver: Markus Naslund
      To Pittsburgh Penguins: Alek Stojanov

Reactions: MasterMatt25

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I hear ya! It makes me queezy as well. That is why I worded it like I did. I am not saying Horvat is untouchable; but if he is traded it needs to make a lot of sence; perhaps it even being a no-brainer. Those kind of deals are few and far between; but even the Canucks made a few great trades over the years. Remember the players we got back in the Garth Butcher trade. Many here might not be old enough to remeber it, but for an older guy like myself, I sure do!

1. To Vancouver: Cliff Ronning, Geoff Courtnall, Sergio Momesso, Robert Dirk and a fifth-round draft pick
    To St. Louis Blues: Dan Quinn and Garth Butcher or how about

1. To Vancouver: Markus Naslund
      To Pittsburgh Penguins: Alek Stojanov

great - quote the only 2 trades in Canuck history where we clearly won. (well Erhoff but you get my drift). And you know that JB is our GM?

And no one is trading for Edler and giving up a 1st (quoting Trelane not you). He has a NTC, will not waive and even then he not worth 2nd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad