The price we pay for Jack Hughes?

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Benning won't trade BB6 or EP40

It's going to be Horvat + 2019 1st + ?

Take the ? Out...would you do Horvat + 2019 1st to select Jack Hughes?

Serious question

I would not.

Not that Hughes or Kakko wouldn't be great, but the price we pay will be too high.

And frankly I don't trust Dim Jim to run a f***ing lemonade stand.

Reactions: Jack Burton

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
...so, I would love Jack. But that deal proposed is not a winning deal on a number of metrics.

Honestly I don't think we have the pieces to acquire Jack without losing one of Quinn Hughes, Boeser, Horvat or Pettersson... and that seems like a lateral move at best. It would have to be something outside of those four to make sense for the Canucks moving forward, but that's extremely unlikely to acquire the 1st overall.
Jim Benning will not trade QH or BB or EP

I'm willing to bet he'd trade Bo though :nod:

Why?

Well, um, you know? He's a center and, like you know:laugh:

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
Jim Benning will not trade QH or BB or EP

I'm willing to bet he'd trade Bo though :nod:

Why?

Well, um, you know? He's a center and, like you know:laugh:

Yeah... I could see him trading Bo too. I just don't see how that actually helps the team.

Jack Hughes is an extremely good player, but who takes the hard matchups and heavy physical play with Bo gone? Sutter? Beagle? Gaudette? ...some to be acquired later 3rd line centre? I'm not big on the whole size and toughness fetish that was around for while, but you still don't want your centres to be completely physically and defensively overmatched if you can help it, do you?

Back to the original question... I would do a selection of lesser but useful players and further in the future top 10 protected 1sts... I guess?

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I'm just here to post a dead meme

G6GUIuu.jpg

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Yeah... I could see him trading Bo too. I just don't see how that actually helps the team.

Jack Hughes is an extremely good player, but who takes the hard matchups and heavy physical play with Bo gone? Sutter? Beagle? Gaudette? ...some to be acquired later 3rd line centre? I'm not big on the whole size and toughness fetish that was around for while, but you still don't want your centres to be completely physically and defensively overmatched if you can help it, do you?

Back to the original question... I would do a selection of lesser but useful players and further in the future top 10 protected 1sts... I guess?
I don't see JB trading Bo by all means
Bo's contract is the best contract he have signed and even he knows it

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Benning won't trade BB6 or EP40

It's going to be Horvat + 2019 1st + ?

Take the ? Out...would you do Horvat + 2019 1st to select Jack Hughes?

Serious question

I don't think it makes any sense to make this trade. Horvat is the perfect complement to Petterson. Hughes is closer to a clone than a complement. Somewhere down the middle you have to have some size that can play in both zones. While Hughes might be the better offensive player, you are now needing to acquire someone that brings what Bo does. Plus giving up another #1? No thanks.

In fact, if we did end up with 1OA, I'd be all for trading back. Wouldn't go too far, probably no later than 5, but imo we look good down the middle for the next 10 years with EP-BH-AG so I'd look to accumulate multiple quality assets over one best-in-class.

Tom Hardy

Dec 10, 2018
I would love to get Jack Hughes; however I am convinced that centre is one of our biggest strengths. I might consider trading Jack Hughes straight up for Horvat and our first pick, if we finished out of the top 10 in the lottery. However. I think in the end we might be better off with another really good defenseman; if we finish in the top 5-10 in the lottery. I am of course a person that usually wants the BPA, so hopefully the BPA is a defenseman. The way our team looks right now, we could have one of the top forward group in the league and still not go far because our defense is too weak.

Reactions: MasterMatt25

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
At this point I don’t even look at draft lists or prospects because I know Judd Brackett, John Weisbrod, Thomas Gradin, Ron Delorme, and Jim Benning will grab an unbelievable player regardless of where we pick. Benning got us this far so I think we should have faith and trust in his judgment for the home stretch. If there’s a trade that makes sense he’ll do it and if there isn’t he won’t.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Trolling or not, this has been an interesting thread. Thanks for posting it, Jack.

My 2 cents - no to trading Bo.

We'll just have to defy the draft gods and win the damn lottery pick for the first time in Canucks history :thumbu:

Tom Hardy

Dec 10, 2018
As to who might the Canucks want to target if they get between 5-10. Defenseman Bowen Byrum looks very appealing and he comes over from the Vancouver Giants, so I am sure Canuck scouts know all about what he brings to the table. He looks like a good all around defenseman, who has good size, who is fast, physical and a great passer.
A little early to predict where his rankings will be near the end of the year. However, this is where he seems to be at the moment.
Seems like the perfect compliment for Quinn Hughes.

Tom Hardy

Dec 10, 2018
I think the question that should be asked is.... if we win (not in trade) the first overall pick and select Hughes.... do we then think about trading Horvat for a D
That is a great question. I think the answer depends on who they could get for Horvat. Horvat is a really good player, who looks like captain material. Defensemen (think the Hall from Edmonton trade) usually are worth more in trades than forwards and right now it looks like the NJD won that trade with Edmonton hands down. I know Edmonton needed defensemen, but...

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
That is a great question. I think the answer depends on who they could get for Horvat. Horvat is a really good player, who looks like captain material. Defensemen (think the Hall from Edmonton trade) usually are worth more in trades than forwards and right now it looks like the NJD won that trade with Edmonton hands down. I know Edmonton needed defensemen, but...
Even talking about that makes me queasy...

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
At this point I don’t even look at draft lists or prospects because I know Judd Brackett, John Weisbrod, Thomas Gradin, Ron Delorme, and Jim Benning will grab an unbelievable player regardless of where we pick. Benning got us this far so I think we should have faith and trust in his judgment for the home stretch. If there’s a trade that makes sense he’ll do it and if there isn’t he won’t.

Sorry, but this post made me vomit. He has 2 good picks in his tenure, 2 total mistakes and has signed horrible contracts, given out NTC's and overpaid FA's in terms of length of contract and amounts.

I suspect if we are 8 - 10th, to trade for 1st would take our 1st, our 2nd and Boeser. I would love to have the hughes brothers here, but not at what it would cost

On the reverse end, if we win the lottery, I would require pretty much the reverse value I said it would cost. A decent 1st, a 2nd and a top player. Which is why these trades never happen.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
1sr overall picks are never traded.

Not never. Not since 2003 though. Most drafts do have a clear cut #1 and in those drafts it often doesn't make sense to trade down. The 2019 draft looks to be a draft where Jack Hughes is the clear #1.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
In the unlikely case that we actually hold the 1st overall would it be completely stupid to trade down to 2nd and grab Kakko and what ever assets the 2nd over all pick holder is willing to part with?

I've become enamored with Kakko and don't know how to compare the two objectively at this point.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The only way we get Jack Hughes is if Jack and Quinn are destined to play to in Vancouver together.
Agreed..Its a bit of a pointless exercise..we practically won the draft of 2017..?...but who knows with Hughes.?.we will be in the lottery somewhere.

VintageBure

Jun 7, 2018
You don’t trade horvat under basically any circumstance. You want to know what eliteprospects scouting report says on horvat? “He plays every shift like there’s 5 seconds left” you don’t trade players like that. Period. The one year we made the playoffs he elevated his game, he’s our future captain. I for whatever reason want someone with more size in our top 6. Kakko, Dach, Cozens would be just fine.

Reactions: TruKnyte

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
You don’t trade horvat under basically any circumstance. You want to know what eliteprospects scouting report says on horvat? “He plays every shift like there’s 5 seconds left” you don’t trade players like that. Period. The one year we made the playoffs he elevated his game, he’s our future captain. I for whatever reason want someone with more size in our top 6. Kakko, Dach, Cozens would be just fine.

I get the emotional connection.

But thats just not sound logic. If you get, for an extreme example, two players like that for Horvat then you do trade him.

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
Jim Benning and Francisco have done a wonderful job of shaping the future of our Vancouver Canucks so my question to you is....what price do we pay for Jack Hughes?

I honestly don't think we're a playoff team yet but we need to sacrifice something now to secure the future of this franchise....we need Jack Hughes.

I'm thinking we will probably finish 8-10th in the standings (only because of Benning) and we should trade Horvat + 2019 1st + 2021 unprotected 1st for the ability to pick 1st or 2nd in this years draft and select Jack Hughes.

Is that to much?

What would you pay to select Jack Hughes?
Nothing because I hope we get Kakko.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad