Post-Game Talk: THE PRICE IS WRONG - Oilers Lose

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Does it though? Kahun - McDavid - Kahun is a bad line. McDavid can't be the only guy who can score on his line

When Neal is up n ready to go, he's another option to put with McD

and dont forget last season, McD ran almost all last season with a rotation of Neal/Kassian/Archibald etc and was still on pace for putting up well over 100pts.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think RNH - McDavid - Yamamoto
Kahun - Draisaitl - Kassian/Pulju

Would be best for a top 6.

Yep. Bring out the beef on the Drai line. But we need Pulju and Kass using their wheels. But that could be fun if they get banging. I would really want to see Barrie paired with Drai on most of his shifts. I see that Drai/Barrie are working better with each other and compliment each others games because they are both so great at gaining time and space in opposition end. Drai shifts are about dominating possession, and creating chances by exhausting D with pressure. Barrie can play that game and contribute greatly to cycling. McD is more a rush, crush, and kill type of a player.

But man, people can be pumped on what Barrie alone showed us tonight. He's really getting it going. He's a fun D to watch.

Barrie could end up being our bit of Letang. Not as good, but he could bring a lot of the possession of puck elements. That excites me thinking about those possibilities.

heres a thing to look for. Tippett will get McDrai out there for around 5 shifts together to own, and alter a game like they did against Nucks in game 2. That'll happen. I doubt Habs can handle it.

Last edited:

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
I thought JP has played well in first 2 games. Tonight was not a good night for him, seemed to skate around lost at times. I want so much for this guy to do well, still not convinced it will ever happen at this level. Hope I'm wrong.
He still doesn't have good balance. He reminds me of Drai his first 40sh games. Bambi. Overskates a lot, falls down, etc. Like a big 18 wheeler. Not great edge work. Hopefully he figures it out.

He did look ok the first 2 gams. Better than the first stint. Slow and steady with him.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
When Neal is up n ready to go, he's another option to put with McD

and dont forget last season, McD ran almost all last season with a rotation of Neal/Kassian/Archibald etc and was still on pace for putting up well over 100pts.
And he was a -6

You aren't going to go far as a team if your top line is a negative 5v5

lopper

Oct 22, 2006
AB
This team plays defence like its beer league hockey.

I know it’s only game 3, but when there is only 56 total and each games is basically a 4 pt swing, they cannot afford anymore dud efforts like tonight.

Reactions: DropTheGloves

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Unfortunately I think this is how the defense is going to look for much of the year. The Klefbom loss really hurts and Bear might very well have a sophomore slump type season here, especially with the added responsibility. If goaltending is spotty as well then I'm not sure this team makes it to the playoffs. It's all on McDrai, again...

Really sucks that after all these years our defense is somehow still terrible. We lose our best d-man in Klefbom, possibly forever, while he's in his prime, Larsson went downhill in a major way after 16/17, Nurse stopped improving and never became a legit top pair guy...just can't make it work. Guess we'll have to hope for the next generation in Bouchard, Broberg and Samorukov.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Meanwhile in LA, AA scores his second of the season in as many games. Holland has done some good the last couple of months but he’s also made some head scratchers that we just couldn’t afford.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Tampa had a shit start last year and won the cup - the season isn't only 10 games.

This team is the same as it has always been, have to outscore the other team because we cannot out defend. 75% of all games the other team has better tending. If McDavid And Drai get at elast 3 points in a game we have a chance, if not we have no chance.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
I don't care about a great goalie. I am hitting 40 in a few years and I pine for a good Dcore. I remember that 2005-2006 season where Edmonton would literally give up maybe 15 shots in a whole game! Only the Red Wings were better all year.

We also had Pronger....lool

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Meanwhile in LA, AA scores his second of the season in as many games. Holland has done some good the last couple of months but he’s also made some head scratchers that we just couldn’t afford.
If we resigned AA to his QO we would be missing Barrie, or Kahun, Turris and KK. We would be a worse team if we kept AA. We offered him 2 mill. He said no and moved on.

Also both have AAs goals have oddly been on 4v4

Reactions: TB12 and Oilhawks

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
upload_2021-1-16_21-47-54.jpeg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The whole league seems bipolar this season.

Its just the crazy first 5 games segment. That we didn't have a preseasn can't be stated enough. This is what you get when teams haven't had enough time to prepare everything and also when the Oilers are playing almost every night. They haven't had much time to sit down and go over things. They get one day tomorrow.

The key is how a club rebounds. The Oilers did that great against the Nucks. Now we'll see them in a rematch with the Habs. I hope the Habs are overconfident.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Word is that Holland is interested in signing "amateurs" to fill the 3rd goalie spot. Note, this reads as "any zamboni drivers please report to the next Oilers practice".
Kosk may not live through another game....good gawd!

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I don't care about a great goalie. I am hitting 40 in a few years and I pine for a good Dcore. I remember that 2005-2006 season where Edmonton would literally give up maybe 15 shots in a whole game! Only the Red Wings were better all year.

We also had Pronger....lool
Don’t worry, we brought in a defensive coach to address that.

Reactions: Wyrm

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Its just the crazy first 5 games segment. That we didn't have a preseasn can't be stated enough. This is what you get when teams haven't had enough time to prepare everything and also when the Oilers are playing almost every night. They haven't had much time to sit down and go over things. They get one day tomorrow.

The key is how a club rebounds. The Oilers did that great against the Nucks. Now we'll see them in a rematch with the Habs. I hope the Habs are overconfident.
Game 1 is Wednesday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad