Speculation: The Price for Jack Eichel

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Yeah I think that's a bunch of BS people in these parts use to justify their lowball offers. We saw the same hatchet job in the Buffalo media with ROR based on nothing. I've yet to see any legitimate hockey person question his leadership/personality/attitude. I think he's unhappy losing and what the hell kind of a competitor would he be if he wasn't?
For those that don't like that narrative it'll shift to the neck surgery. I don't want to trade anything of real value for him he may never be the same! Like the majority of athletes who've needed a surgery like this in their early 20's have just fallen apart afterwards. I mean i can say as a Sabres fan I hope this is the nonsense other GM's are trying to peddle, because it means Eichel stays a Sabre and ultimately that's what's best for this team moving forward.
Almost always, when you're trading away the best player in the deal, especially during his prime, youre going to lose the deal and be unhappy. This shouldnt be surprising.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Doesnt he need neck surgery ? I'd see how he plays next season before paying what it will take to get him...that sort of injury really can hamper a player.. he might be damaged goods who knows

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Almost always, when you're trading away the best player in the deal, especially during his prime, youre going to lose the deal and be unhappy. This shouldnt be surprising.
I don't think there is any sane Sabres fan who thinks we "win" an Eichel deal. With that said you only make the deal if two criteria are met. 1) Eichel demands out, and the relationship appears unrepairable 2) You get an absolute haul of picks, prospects, and young players. You don't let teams pull multiple good young players and top prospects off the table. The minute that starts negotiations are done.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I don't think there is any sane Sabres fan who thinks we "win" an Eichel deal. With that said you only make the deal if two criteria are met. 1) Eichel demands out, and the relationship appears unrepairable 2) You get an absolute haul of picks, prospects, and young players. You don't let teams pull multiple good young players and top prospects off the table. The minute that starts negotiations are done.
And if #2 doesnt happen? You keep a disgruntled player who may not even want to play for you, or sulks around ruining your dressing room and his value even more? No.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
And if #2 doesnt happen? You keep a disgruntled player who may not even want to play for you, or sulks around ruining your dressing room and his value even more? No.
If #2 doesn't happen you can always just keep Eichel. He's under contract until 2026. He has every right to go wherever he wants at that point. With that said, I don't think it comes to that. Players like Eichel never become available (just entering his prime, years upon years of control, fantastic production, etc.). Teams will be lined up to acquire him and these teams are much smarter than most of the knuckleheads in these parts that overvalue picks and unproven prospects. There'll be some huge offers on the table no doubt. I also don't assume Eichel "sulks" and "ruins the dressing room" because I try not to make assumptions based on nothing substantive. Eichel is smart enough to realize that if he does sulk and cause issues in the locker room because he wants out and they can't immediately grant his wish that costs him money on his next deal and makes any deal Adams might be trying to make that much more difficult. It's far more likely (if it comes to it) it gets handled behind the scenes, everyone is cordial and the Sabres while they almost certainly "lose" the deal by giving up a franchise player get a massive haul in return. If that's not there the deal shouldn't happen. Simple as that.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
QUOTE="is the answer jesus, post: 177736634, member: 68017"]I don't think there is any sane Sabres fan who thinks we "win" an Eichel deal. With that said you only make the deal if two criteria are met. 1) Eichel demands out, and the relationship appears unrepairable 2) You get an absolute haul of picks, prospects, and young players. You don't let teams pull multiple good young players and top prospects off the table. The minute that starts negotiations are done.[/QUOTE]
10 million a year and coming off injuy be hard trade

Flash20

DC Homer
Oct 16, 2009
Buffalo
I think the Rangers and Sabres have extensive talks on multiple different players this off season. Gorton is definitely interested and eyeballing Eichel, I have this feeling in my gut the entire NYR front office has been wanting him for awhile. And they make decent trade partners for sure.

You guys would have to part with Lafreniere and honestly dont see that happening

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I think the Rangers and Sabres have extensive talks on multiple different players this off season. Gorton is definitely interested and eyeballing Eichel, I have this feeling in my gut the entire NYR front office has been wanting him for awhile. And they make decent trade partners for sure.

Honestly, your team doesn't need Jack. Your team will be fine building around the guys you have right now, with everyone playing a team game and being able to work with one another. IMO, I think the Rangers are better off keeping their team structure and dynamic in place, than they are going after Jack who will change how you attack teams.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011

Is he going to eyeball Eichel from the unemployment line?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Rangers fire John Davidson, Jeff Gorton in shocking move

This certainty changes the conversation. The apparent purveyors of the patient approach Rangers' fans have advocated for all season are gone. What may turn out to be Dolan's yes man is in charge.

we can only hope this is Dolan sucking up to Betman for an explicit statement embarrssing league and Betman demanded a scalp in return

We also hope that Dolan has learned from his Knicks experience that where there is a cap and $$ can not exclusively make a dif
that win now is wrong
and build, advocated by bern, is right.

Overpaying is one thing.
Overpaying in futures one does not have a surplus of, is something else.

Dolan has finally learned there are no shortcuts.
Hopefully he will not go with impulse here

----------------

What is bad is JD + JG demonstrated real skill at drafting last couple of yrs; even beyond lottery adds, a guy like Jones or Barron [6th round!] are real sharp moves; but now this part of the braintrust is gone.

Hopefully not permanently

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
we can only hope this is Dolan sucking up to Betman for an explicit statement embarrssing league and Betman demanded a scalp in return

We also hope that Dolan has learned from his Knicks experience that where there is a cap and $$ can not exclusively make a dif
that win now is wrong
and build, advocated by bern, is right.

Overpaying is one thing.
Overpaying in futures one does not have a surplus of, is something else.

Dolan has finally learned there are no shortcuts.
Hopefully he will not go with impulse here

----------------

What is bad is JD + JG demonstrated real skill at drafting last couple of yrs; even beyond lottery adds, a guy like Jones or Barron [6th round!] are real sharp moves; but now this part of the braintrust is gone.

Hopefully not permanently
trade proposal:

to nyr
past prime star

to the other team(s)
futures and elite prospects

kind of a reverse bern trade proposal.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
trade proposal:

to nyr
past prime star

to the other team(s)
futures and elite prospects

kind of a reverse bern trade proposal.

we all initiate proposals for our teams to profit in one way or another
I make no apologies for same, and call out any hypocrisy to the extent it is applicable.

I also do not apologize for being ahead of the curve, for some time, on building with picks and prospects more typically than vets.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
we all initiate proposals for our teams to profit in one way or another
I make no apologies for same, and call out any hypocrisy to the extent it is applicable.

I also do not apologize for being ahead of the curve, for some time, on building with picks and prospects more typically than vets.

How'd your phone call with Drury go for the AGM position?

Reactions: bernmeister

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
very soon I will announce my efforts on important work which may help save the world

I will be too busy for AGM, even for my beloved Rangers

I will consider part time consultant on my own schedule, however.

Well if it's enough to keep you from posting let me be the first to wish you safe travels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad