Speculation: The Price for Jack Eichel

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
All it takes is him wanting to play for one and not the other and all leverage is gone. If they are going to hit the reset button, it has to be now.

Why on earth do they have to do that now?

Eichel is 24 with 5 years left on his deal. Dahlin is barely 21 and still on his ELC....

Aside from your personal convenience and interest in Eichel, there is no logical reason at all to do something really stupid for the Sabres...
If they trade Eichel (which in itself is probably a dumb idea), they better only do it for an amazing return. Otherwise they should always keep him.

Add a top3 pick (quality D in this draft most likely) and a core of Eichel, Dahlin, top3 pick, Reinhart (if they can get him to sign a longterm deal), Cozens, Olofsson, Mittelstadt and to a lesser degree Quinn( not a fan of that pick at all) is one of the better U25 groups in the league.
And next years draft looks very strong as well and they have the ability to make some moves in the offseason...

I would even argue that this is exactly the time to NOT trade Eichel unless the relationship is beyond repair which we have no proof of...

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
Tough spot. His value is at its lowest; I can’t see anyone paying what Buffalo will be looking for. And he’s locked in long term with no motivation to stay so can’t see him upping his stock anytime soon. Could be a tough situation for the next few years for all sides

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Tough spot. His value is at its lowest; I can’t see anyone paying what Buffalo will be looking for. And he’s locked in long term with no motivation to stay so can’t see him upping his stock anytime soon. Could be a tough situation for the next few years for all sides

I’d rather Yashin him than trade him for a “Bjork and now looks to be an extremely late 2nd” like we did with Hall. At least the Sens got Spezza and Chara out of that!

Reactions: Dicky113

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

Why is his value at its lowest? Because he was hurt this entire season? I'm pretty sure most teams can look beyond 21 games - and Buffalo will tell a team hoping to get a discount off those 21 games to kick rocks. He's a 24yo center who, prior to his injury-riddled season, was coming off the best season of his career and was over a point/game during the three previous seasons with two rubes as head coaches. Any team who is motivated to get Eichel before his NMC kicks in will pay the market price for the Eichel who was easily a top-10 NHL center entering this season (and still is, frankly).

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
Why is his value at its lowest? Because he was hurt this entire season? I'm pretty sure most teams can look beyond 21 games - and Buffalo will tell a team hoping to get a discount off those 21 games to kick rocks. He's a 24yo center who, prior to his injury-riddled season, was coming off the best season of his career and was over a point/game during the three previous seasons with two rubes as head coaches. Any team who is motivated to get Eichel before his NMC kicks in will pay the market price for the Eichel who was easily a top-10 NHL center entering this season (and still is, frankly).
I think questions are starting to be asked about his leadership/personality/attitude etc. no doubt he’s a good player, but there is risk with betting the farm. Perhaps unfair, but it’s real.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
If he's dealt, the acquiring team will likely win the deal.

given this^
have Sabes/fans given any thought to keeping Eichel and auctioning off Cozens?

I get Cozens is a foundation piece and that normally you keep and add to him,
but
curious
he is young and cost controlled and could possibly get multiple higher pieces [prob a replacement blue chip AND a couple of good younger vets, or similar].

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
given this^

but
curious
he is young and cost controlled and could possibly get multiple higher pieces [prob a replacement blue chip AND a couple of good younger vets, or similar].

No. The Sabres finally have a young center spine that rivals the co-captains teams, which is the entire thing we rebuilt to get.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
given this^

but
curious
That makes absolutely no sense. He's young, cheap, extremely talented, and is still under team control for multiple years. The exact type of player Buffalo needs to build around. Buffalo isn't moving the "bluest of bluechip prospects" as you always like to say.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I think questions are starting to be asked about his leadership/personality/attitude etc. no doubt he’s a good player, but there is risk with betting the farm. Perhaps unfair, but it’s real.
Yeah I think that's a bunch of BS people in these parts use to justify their lowball offers. We saw the same hatchet job in the Buffalo media with ROR based on nothing. I've yet to see any legitimate hockey person question his leadership/personality/attitude. I think he's unhappy losing and what the hell kind of a competitor would he be if he wasn't?
For those that don't like that narrative it'll shift to the neck surgery. I don't want to trade anything of real value for him he may never be the same! Like the majority of athletes who've needed a surgery like this in their early 20's have just fallen apart afterwards. I mean i can say as a Sabres fan I hope this is the nonsense other GM's are trying to peddle, because it means Eichel stays a Sabre and ultimately that's what's best for this team moving forward.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010

I've mainly seen those questions asked by ignorant people on this message board. Other than not liking to lose, which anyone would in that situation, there have been no issues with his effort, leadership, personality, etc...

Hell, he played through not so minor injury issues for 21 games at almost a ppg pace this year.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
given this^

but
curious
No..same position as your team with your blue chip propects..wouldn't make any sense at all.Cozens is a 200 foot players with tons of leadership with great size,skating ability,shot etc.In my opinion he is the epitome of what a hockey player along with leadership qualities is

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina

And justifiably so. Just look at how badly St. Louis got burned when they traded for Ryan O'Reil . . . uh, hold that thought.

Reactions: BowieSabresFan

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
Same for NYR. That’s why I think it makes the most sense for both teams to trade him to LA. Especially with LA’s Center depth that Sabres may want back in a trade. Can’t comment for LA fans but it just seems right for both teams

Kings are pretty close to the cap. Not sure if they want to take on that 10 million/yr for Eichel. And Kings fans are pretty high on Byfield

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't think Buffalo moves him. Bring in an actual proven coach (Gallant or someone) and sign a good back up goalie, Buffalo has an OK record with Ullmark in net.

Then see where things are in a year.

Reactions: Ciao

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Kings are pretty close to the cap. Not sure if they want to take on that 10 million/yr for Eichel. And Kings fans are pretty high on Byfield

explain how? On cap friendly for 21/22 season they have $20M in space with on,y a few spots to fill with low cost RFAs.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
given this^

but
curious

what logic reason would buffalo trade a center with only 1 pro year thus year and his first ELC for a bunch of worse draft pick from where he was picked?

Then there is thing called the cap.

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
explain how? On cap friendly for 21/22 season they have $20M in space with on,y a few spots to fill with low cost RFAs.

They have 20 million of cap and handing over 10 million to Eichel and a NMC doesn’t make sense. Their RFA’s are going to need to be signed to new contracts soon also. Which they won’t have cap space for.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006

We arent close to the cap but I dont see any rush to trade for a 10mill player that is carrying a serious injury.

I like Eichel, but I wouldnt make a serious offer for him, It just doesnt seem like the right time for us to make a trade like this. We dont know how good our youth is yet.

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
We arent close to the cap but I dont see any rush to trade for a 10mill player that is carrying a serious injury.

I like Eichel, but I wouldnt make a serious offer for him, It just doesnt seem like the right time for us to make a trade like this. We dont know how good our youth is yet.

That was my complaint on Anaheim taking Eichel as well. That 10 million dollars and NMC kicking in on us doesn’t make sense. I don’t think it makes sense for Kings either based on paying 10 million for a player when the team isn’t in “win now mode”.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Colorado sucked it up and stayed the course. I'm guessing that there were some bumps in the road for Landeskog and MacKinnon, but they worked out. Eichel may be frustrated, but if BUF can start winning he probably brightens up. As others have noted, BUF looks to have a solid young core developing and will add additional young players in the next couple of drafts. It takes some time for most talented young players to hit their stride. If BUF can get some solid coaching and some stable goaltending and maybe a decent value veteran or two to stabilize the defense and locker room they can probably start to improve. We will see what divisions look like when next season rolls around, but if they end up in a division similar to what they had been, they can be competitive. I imagine that Eichel wants to lead BUF to respectability not be a chicken little and bail like Kevin Durant.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
That was my complaint on Anaheim taking Eichel as well. That 10 million dollars and NMC kicking in on us doesn’t make sense. I don’t think it makes sense for Kings either based on paying 10 million for a player when the team isn’t in “win now mode”.
I'm about 99% sure if Eichel is traded before his NMC takes effect the receiving team is under no obligation to keep that NMC.

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
If he's dealt, the acquiring team will likely win the deal.

10 million a year, the team taking him on gets his NMC part of the contract. And also he has a serious neck injury. I don’t think anyone wins that deal trading for. That’s a type of trade if it goes south you’ll never be welcome back to the NHL under any circumstance at any position as a EX GM when you’re fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad