News Article: The Players Tribune: Pascal Dupuis ''In my blood'' (Read this -- seriously)

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
this. he has kids, that was dumb, I'm sorry but it was...

I don't think even he would disagree. In fact, I feel like he pretty strongly implied that he completely understands that he made irrational decisions.

When I told her the whole story about me feeling it five games before, she got really scared about me going back. She’s like, “What keeps you from not saying anything again?” It’s a hard thing to answer.

He obviously understands he made irrational decisions.

Stad

@Mahomes2Helaire
Apr 22, 2007
Saskatoon
How can you not respect this man?

Hopefully Pens make it deep enough so he can suit up again this season, would give the team a huge boost if that were to happen.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
It's a damn shame that the culture of this sport is such that dupuis felt compelled to keep a life threatening medical condition a secret from his own family. On the other hand, that is unreal individual determination.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
How can you not respect this man?

Hopefully Pens make it deep enough so he can suit up again this season, would give the team a huge boost if that were to happen.

No way should they let him rush back. The guy needs to stay out until next season at the earliest.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Right he knows that keeping the news from people was illogical and wrong, but can you blame him? We don't what it takes to be a professional hockey player. The amount of hard work, determination, and ability to withstand great pain to go from undrafted to riding shotgun to the greatest player of this generation is incomprehensible.

He wasn't actively trying to choose his work over his family. Given that it was on the road, he didn't have to see his kids and wife. When he got home, the truth really hit him and he made the right choice. I can't really judge him, since I've never been in that situation.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It's a damn shame that the culture of this sport is such that dupuis felt compelled to keep a life threatening medical condition a secret from his own family. On the other hand, that is unreal individual determination.

I mean, that's an individual decision. There's not a player or coach in that locker room that would have encouraged him to keep playing through it if he'd have told them about it. He clearly knew it wasn't a smart decision. But he had worked his entire life to get to the position he was in -- and he had to have climbed higher than he had ever thought he could -- I can absolutely understand why he would have tried to fight through it.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I know some think that we should be admiring him for his dedication but I was thinking the exact same thing. Playing five games with a blood clot and hiding it from everyone is a really stupid thing to do and potentially fatal.

Pretty much. Ignoring it for 5 games and implying that he hoped it was too small to find the second time; driving himself to the hospital after being told not to and even waving off the symptoms the first time. It's all just so stupid, he isn't some young guy doing this and he had that retirement contract.

But when sports idolize toughness the way hockey does things like that are bound to happen but at some point it's not toughness or dedication anymore, it's stupidity and dangerous behaviour. I don't know how the doctors or anyone can trust Dupuis with his own health going forward, tbh. Maybe he learned from it the second time, but he sure as hell didn't learn from the first go of it.

Great guy but a god damned idiot with this.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I really don't think it was the culture of toughness that made him hide it. It was the simple desire to keep playing.

I think the culture plays a part in it but it's not all of it. Definitely a part, though, going from how he talked about it. Dupuis took it to a ridiculous level, though.

Last edited:

themethod7

Jan 25, 2013
NWPA
I mean, he explains pretty clearly in there that the mentality of a professional hockey player (especially undrafted) is totally different from every other Tom, Dick, and Harry, and he even admits that it wasn't the smartest thing in the world. Yes, he has a wife, and he has kids, but hockey has been the guy's entire life (the name of the article is "In My Blood" ffs), can you seriously fault him for continuing to play when there was a very real chance his career might be over just like that??? It's easy to be on the outside looking in and say how stupid it was, but I really can't say I know what I'd do in his situation or that I'd do it any different. At this point I just hope he gets the chance to put on the black and gold one more time...

Fordy

May 28, 2008
while dupuis is obviously an amazing person if i'm the team, can you put this guy back on the ice? he hid a life-threatening condition for over a week and played games with it. what if he does it again? what if the worst happens? who's getting the blame? the team and the medical staff. this is lawsuit type **** if he did that again

Callista Rhian

Dec 27, 2014
Land of Ice & Snow
Goddammit.

Finally made myself read this, and as expected I ended up being surrounded by onion ninjas.

On one hand, incredibly impressed with his drive and determination. On the other: WTF WERE YOU THINKING YOU IDIOT. Dude, you're 35 with a wife and kids. What would happen to them, and your team, if you had dropped dead on the ice?!

Really, really want him to raise the Cup again.

(And now, headed off to buy a Duper jersey because *******.)

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I'm in awe & pissed off at the same time

Likewise. I love Duper and this confirms why I've loved him, but he seriously worries me. If he's done this before what is there to say he doesn't do it again? I get why hockey is his life, but he's 35 with a wife and 5 kids...some things are just more important.

But damn do I respect his warrior mentality. So conflicted on how to feel about this. Either way I want to see him raise the Cup again.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I once was told that on a sports team, you want players that are determined enough to play through a broken leg and coaches that are intelligent enough to know when to force a player not to play through an injury and make it worse.

I think the pens have a ton of guys that play hurt and rush back, but our staff has always allowed them to put themselves at risk for greater injury too often... I say this because you know if they go long into the playoffs, the guy is going to try to come back... As much as we probably will need him then, I truely hope they dont let him play regardless

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad