News Article: The Players Tribune: Pascal Dupuis ''In my blood'' (Read this -- seriously)

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
He acts like he's in a war and that he presence is vital to victory. His priorities in life are completely screwed up. Hockey is just a sport, nothing more. His denial almost cost him his life and cost his family a husband/father. Thats's not noble, thats selfish. That sob story of how he fought through not being drafted to making it to the NHL isn't the first. The cold hard fact is one day soon, probably sooner than he wants to admit his career will end. It happens to the best of them. Whether he likes it or not, one day he will have to find his next life's ambition. They all do.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
I dunno about labellng a pathology like denial selfish, or stupid, or anything else but what it is - a normal human response mechanism to an extreme situation. Pretend it's not there.

Many people can overcome denial...and Duper did, eventually,to his credit, TG.

To me this story is more about Pascal's weakness than his strength.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
He acts like he's in a war and that he presence is vital to victory. His priorities in life are completely screwed up. Hockey is just a sport, nothing more. His denial almost cost him his life and cost his family a husband/father. Thats's not noble, thats selfish. That sob story of how he fought through not being drafted to making it to the NHL isn't the first. The cold hard fact is one day soon, probably sooner than he wants to admit his career will end. It happens to the best of them. Whether he likes it or not, one day he will have to find his next life's ambition. They all do.
I'm pretty sure hockey is life for this guys, yes the family and all of that, but this guys works their ass since their young, they sacrifice everything to be where they are, what are 5 more games without a third of a polmon?
Sometimes we think of them in the wrong way, they don't go to work 9-5, and then relax. Duper had just signed his bigger contract in his life, then got injured, come back strong, and the **** hit him again, it must be really hard to admit to himself that he've got to stop.

Jrtu

Jun 22, 2010
What a warrior he is, albeit stubborn to put his life on the line, but a warrior nonetheless. Still, a big kudos to the Penguins' management team to let Dupuis feel involved even though he cannot contribute on the ice. I think if Dupuis cannot play in the NHL anymore, the Penguins will let him retire then bring him on as part of the coaching/scouting staff.

tinkezione

Butcher's Dog
Jul 22, 2013
Nicosia, Cyprus
Most seem to miss the article's point completely, but that's nothing new. It is indeed a truly heartbreaking read about A HUMAN'S struggles. If some of you think life was that binary what you try to express in your comments, please write COMPUTER in the race section next time you apply for a passport.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad